Hacking Factory reset a modded 3ds

lukands

I took the little bus here
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Trying to sell a modded 3ds but not getting any takers....maybe its easier to sell with no CFW?
Is there a way to delete the hack, reset, restore to original, etc..

Last edited by lukands,

horrorvacui

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
What "mod" does the 3DS exactly have?

You can uninstall CFW, but it's not exactly recommended to do that as you might brick the console.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Having it moded is more likely gonna attract sellers. You can remove CFW, but there is no reason for it. Just don't advertise it and they won't every notice.

lukands

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Having it moded is more likely gonna attract sellers. You can remove CFW, but there is no reason for it. Just don't advertise it and they won't every notice.

Thats what I thought but I keep lowering the price and nobody has any interest in it (and the price is below what non CFW ones are going for)...I don`t get it? Maybe I will just not advertise it has CFW.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What "mod" does the 3DS exactly have?

You can uninstall CFW, but it's not exactly recommended to do that as you might brick the console.

Well you know what I mean....it has CFW.
Thats what I thought its risky to uninstall CFW?

horrorvacui

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It's a bit risky, yeah. But the CFW thing shouldn't be a problem. You could just not mention it - and I don't think the buyer will complain about having a modded console. If you want to be "clean" before selling it, just update Luma and B9S if it doesn't have the latest version yet.

Skirlez

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Well you can do it at your own risk.
If you have done something like unbanning your console, modifing the home menu (not custom themes) or stuff like that you have to restore it to the original.
What exactly did you do with the console?

lukands

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Well you can do it at your own risk.
If you have done something like unbanning your console, modifing the home menu (not custom themes) or stuff like that you have to restore it to the original.
What exactly did you do with the console?

Nothing special just the regular luma, b9s, fbi, homebrew launcher.
It is not banned, no custom themes, etc..

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The problem with this frequent questions about uninstalling CFW is the unknown state of the consoles. This is gonna be long because it's not a direct reply but a general statement about this topic. Many (often new) members come here like this:
  • “I hacked my 3DS a year earlier and have forgotten pretty much everything.” or
  • “My friend hacked it for me…” or even worse
  • I bought it hacked, that’s too complex; and I want it on stock firmware!”
Those people, sometimes without even basic knowledge about 3DS hacking, can’t answer the question: “Are any system titles modified?” While – I have to admit – it is not very likely that an average user did such modifications on purpose, we simply don’t know. Region changing (although mostly unnecessary) and CTRTransfer are not that uncommon.

I personally would have a really bad feeling giving the advise “Go ahead and uninstall!” In many cases it would probably go well, but I don’t want to risk a single soft brick when keeping B9S has virtually no downsides.

In addition to that: Many non-members are visiting this forum. Just have a look on the Online Statistics. It is also possible that random visitors wanting to get rid of CFW do not even know what exploit they are using and mixing up B9S with the older A9LH.

The warnings on the guide (and within GodMode9 when unlocking privileges for uninstalling B9S) aren’t there just for fun or to scare people for nothing.

Normally installing B9S, doing nothing to the system apps and uninstalling B9S later does not brick the system. But, if you @lukands , (or anybody else with the plan to uninstall CFW) have/has a slight doubt...

I advise against uninstalling except:

• you have a flashcart with ntrboot ready
  • and tested you can successfully pull off the "trick"
So you can recover from the worst case scenario.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats what I thought but I keep lowering the price and nobody has any interest in it (and the price is below what non CFW ones are going for)...I don`t get it? Maybe I will just not advertise it has CFW.

It depends on your target buyers. You have people who want CFW and those that don't. A middle road approach would be marketing your 3DS as having CFW with very light modding (no pirated games, 1 or 2 homebrew apps). Stating the console isn't banned also helps.

However, I think the biggest mistaken you committed was lowering the asking price. Unless your price sucks compared to others who are selling like-condition models, buyers smelled blood in the water knowing you will bend backwards. People who buy stuff used don't tend to pass over saving whatever money they can. If your listing had a haggling option, some may low ball if they believe you're meek or wavering.

Dave_Chad

Trophies
XP
Country
I had to unmod one for someone who was selling theirs this week.

Boot godmode9. Press home. Select the Megascript. Uninstall Hax. Done.

Was nice and easy.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

Skirlez

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
How about what folders/apps can be deleted off the home menu safely? anemone theme manager, checkpoint, freeshop, homebrew launcher, fbi, etc...
All the stuff you mentioned is safe to delete. deleting The Homebrew Launcher won't actually remove it. you have to remove the boot.3dsx file from your SD Card if you really want it gone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, mid thrice +1