MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Even if Linux gets released for the Switch, there's a lot of device drivers that are unknown and needed to get working before it's really useful for anything.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they at least give a hint on how to achieve it like some other groups where other hackers then study and get the same result...

I don't care a single bit for hackers that hack something then show pics and videos, never release anything or give any hint...

It's pointless since I'm sure someone in the world at day one probably already have backups running and won't ever show to anyone like the Devs of the Nintendo software they surely know how to hack it and probably some hacked theirs and try everything on their console...

Ps: At least if I was on the Dev team of the device I would hack it and never show to anyone :), install Linux, try making some drivers to run some steam Linux games.........
"give any hint..."

looks easy enough just grab an FTDI breakout and solder a voltage regulator to it , and bam

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"give any hint..."

looks easy enough just grab an FTDI breakout and solder a voltage regulator to it , and bam
LOL or we can just disassemble the Switch make an LCD controller for its screen with hdmi in connect to the PC with the joycons also connected to the PC via a wireless dongle and show the "Switch" running latest triple A games with ultra graphics :)

What a beast :P

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, yes, the ol' priority one of steps towards hacking: get Linux on it. Awesome to see it happen to the Switch in terms of hacking, so quick, too!

Not awesome to see people get entitled again about them not releasing this or other things. Please keep in mind that at the bare bones of hacking, it's a personal endeavor to circumvent a product's or service's security and see the results, and share the outcome of the results with people of your choice. Anything after showing off your capabilities is pure generosity, as no one is owed public consumption of the actual endeavor. This doesn't mean it's not appreciated, or that we should stop releases of the programs or detailed methods, just that we still need to realize that anything the public receives beyond showing that a hack works is already more than necessary.

Reactions: VinsCool

Rauliki

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So what's the significance of this? I'm no hacking expert, but I can install Linux on my laptop with relative ease, why would I want it on the Switch?

I understand if it's just a for-fun hacking project, and if that's the case, well, you do you then.
Some people want Android on Switch. If you run Linux, you are step closer to that.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Some people want Android on Switch. If you run Linux, you are step closer to that.
Why would you want Android on it, though? You can buy a brand new Android tablet for $50. It wouldn't even need to be hacked or further optimized. Throw on some kind of Bluetooth controller, maybe one that attaches to the tablet, and you're golden. Also, seems like a waste when Switch has a library of games you can't get on Android. I'm just trying to understand the rationale here.

Reactions: SpaceMonkeh

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you want Android on it, though? You can buy a brand new Android tablet for $50. It wouldn't even need to be hacked or further optimized. Throw on some kind of Bluetooth controller, maybe one that attaches to the tablet, and you're golden. Also, seems like a waste when Switch has a library of games you can't get on Android. I'm just trying to understand the rationale here.

Android is nothing more than a heavily modified Linux-based OS, but yes I don't see the need.

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country

The quality of a $50 Android tablet would be awful and perform very badly once you start trying to play some demanding games, with the Switch you have the equivalent of a high end Android device that also has some exclusive Switch games. In addition with Android you would get some very nice official apps for things like YouTube, Netflix, Plex, BBC iPlayer and so on and even Google Chrome.

Android also has a massive library of games and emulators the Switch doesn't have, including classics like Tomb Raider, many of the earlier GTA games which would be perfect on the Switch.

If you could run Android on the Switch right now it would compliment the Switch's limited (but exclusive) game library very well.

Long term though I would prefer native Switch homebrew as dual booting Android would be inconvenient, however it certainly opens the Switch up to running a lot more quality apps and been a very capable all round hand held device.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The quality of a $50 Android tablet would be awful and perform very badly once you start trying to play some demanding games, with the Switch you have the equivalent of a high end Android device that also has some exclusive Switch games. In addition with Android you would get some very nice official apps for things like YouTube, Netflix, Plex, BBC iPlayer and so on and even Google Chrome.

Android also has a massive library of games and emulators the Switch doesn't have, including classics like Tomb Raider, many of the earlier GTA games which would be perfect on the Switch.

If you could run Android on the Switch right now it would compliment the Switch's limited (but exclusive) game library very well.

Long term though I would prefer native Switch homebrew as dual booting Android would be inconvenient, however it certainly opens the Switch up to running a lot more quality apps and been a very capable all round hand held device.

I hardly see the Switch library as "limited" but whatever.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Could please every dumb shit and their dog stop posting patronizing off topic bullshit. The world does not revolve around you, not every news article has to be tailored for your comfort bubble.
If this type of news is posted is because some people are interested in them, let us read and discuss in peace and go back to your damn troll caves.

With all the patronizing shit going around here I totally understand when people say the temps have gotten hostile and childish.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I hardly see the Switch library as "limited" but whatever.

If all you can do is quote one word from my post and have nothing constructive to add to the actual discussion topic stop replying for the sake of adding +1 to your post count.

You clearly have no interest in Linux, Android or anything else this topic is about, so why not frequent some topics where you can contribute to the actual discussion?

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Yeah I was onto that too. It gives an insight as to what may be required for the external mod from team-xecuter.

It quite possible. I'm thinking it could also be used for USB debugging, or running commands on the Switch over a serial connection as i imagine that would make things a lot easier for developing / testing.

TheKeiron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Android has a huge library of not just games, but apps in general. I said this in another thread - theres comic book readers, media players, streaming services, device automation apps, hell even office software if you're that way inclined, the choices are too huge to even attempt to list. It would breathe a whole new life into the switch turning it from just a gaming console into a great Android tablet.

EDIT: not to mention Android has a huge development community, opening possibilities of making apps on Android to take advantage of the hardware

Last edited by TheKeiron,
Reactions: Pluupy

BirdsAreSpies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
So many butthurt people over there.
As a developer myself I really find F0F's work impressive. They can show what's possible. Sure, there may no actual use for Linux on a Switch, but neither it isn't necessary to run Doom on a toaster.

It's their work, they can decide if they want to release it or not. And tbh, if I were them I wouldn't release shit aswell. Why should I reward a bunch of toxic people? Look at those threads about the homebrew launcher and its delay. Again, so many butthurt people.

If you really want 'Linux on a Switch,' dig into programming and reverse engineering and do it yourself. And of course, you are needed to release all your work for free afterwards. Otherwise stop complaining about anyone because they don't owe you shit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.