• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Far Right Presidential Candidate Wins in Argentina

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Not fast enough, by the look of things. I’m not “following” any system, I’m not Argentinian. That being said, you’re making some big claims in regards to the legality of the police response that I’m not sure you can support, given your penchant for exaggeration. I’d have to look into those incidents myself in order to make an accurate assessment.

Do whatever you want. Why are you even in this thread? You added literally nothing

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do whatever you want. Why are you even in this thread? You added literally nothing
The thread is of interest to me. Protests are to be expected when dealing with such a sharp and rapid turn in overall policy. Here’s for hoping things settle down quick. It seems the administration warned beforehand that they will be deploying these measures in order to prevent piquete-style protests and street blockades. I’m reading that the state is planning to bill the protesters themselves for the deployment of security forces - a pretty novel concept.

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
The thread is of interest to me. Protests are to be expected when dealing with such a sharp and rapid turn in overall policy. Here’s for hoping things settle down quick. It seems the administration warned beforehand that they will be deploying these measures in order to prevent piquete-style protests and street blockades. I’m reading that the state is planning to bill the protesters themselves for the deployment of security forces - a pretty novel concept.

Except there were no piquetes nor street blockades. In fact the police blocked the streets infinitely more, specially on the march of december 20, a march they do ever year in commemoration of those killed by the police in 2001 during protests.
What's even sadder is that they announced they'll be charging organized movements who weren't even there, just because this new government seems to thrive on inventing shit. Just like when the presidential spokesman said they cancelled a 2 million dollar insurance for some art in the presidential home, only for the previous spokeswoman to debunk that by clarifying it was actually 2 million pesos, 2 thousand dollars per year. And that it was already paid for.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Except there were no piquetes nor street blockades. In fact the police blocked the streets infinitely more, specially on the march of december 20, a march they do ever year in commemoration of those killed by the police in 2001 during protests.
What's even sadder is that they announced they'll be charging organized movements who weren't even there, just because this new government seems to thrive on inventing shit. Just like when the presidential spokesman said they cancelled a 2 million dollar insurance for some art in the presidential home, only for the previous spokeswoman to debunk that by clarifying it was actually 2 million pesos, 2 thousand dollars per year. And that it was already paid for.
Like I said, I hope things come out in the wash. I’m looking through the Twitter threads you linked and the sentiment seems to be split, which is to be expected.

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Like I said, I hope things come out in the wash. I’m looking through the Twitter threads you linked and the sentiment seems to be split, which is to be expected.

Twitter is basically the place where libertarians based their whole platform on. If you see it split, then take it much more in favour of the current opposition.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
You say that, but according to a DC Consultores survey Milei’s measures were met with 71% approval, and 75% support the anti-piqueting protocol. That’s not “libertarian Twitter”, that’s Argentinian gen pop.

https://www.impulsobaires.com.ar/am...l-el-71-respalda-el-dnu-del-presidente-milei/

Right, and I can counter that with this one https://www.eldestapeweb.com/politi...re-la-poca-tolerancia-al-ajuste-2023122121210 and the discussion will never end because biased surveys are a thing. Not a single survey hit the nail on the head regarding who would win each presidential election stage. They're just propaganda machines.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Right, and I can counter that with this one https://www.eldestapeweb.com/politi...re-la-poca-tolerancia-al-ajuste-2023122121210 and the discussion will never end because biased surveys are a thing. Not a single survey hit the nail on the head regarding who would win each presidential election stage. They're just propaganda machines.
I mean… according to your survey, about half of respondents are willing to make sacrifices and 83% are willing to endure around a year. I don’t think it supports your point of view very well - I fully expected 72.3% to say that the adjustments will be paid for by the citizens because the harsh reality of the matter is that they will, that’s inevitable. I think we started this exchange with me saying that hard times are ahead and recession is inevitable. Everybody can feel it coming, it won’t be a surprise to anyone.

shunoia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
I hope Milei instantly does deep cuts to the social services and closes the ministries so they can quickly fill up the Reserves again

• Haha
Reactions: Dark_Ansem

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
1703728353697.png

3 people together in a public space will be considered a "manifestation" and can be repressed. Yeah, we're going to be fine.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem and Xzi

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
View attachment 410573

3 people together in a public space will be considered a "manifestation" and can be repressed. Yeah, we're going to be fine.

ARTICLE 331.- Meeting or demonstration. For the purposes of this Chapter of the law, "gathering" or
"demonstration" is understood to be the intentional and temporary congregation of three (3) or more people in a public
space for the purpose of exercising the rights referred to herein.

Sounds like a definition. What's the context of "repression"? Are we still talking about doing it in the streets?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why would @jomaper do that? "Herein" indicates there is more information.
"For the purpose of exercising the rights referred to herein" means the right to protest, but it's a moot point if any gathering of three or more people in public can be labeled an unlawful protest by the government without evidence.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
"For the purpose of exercising the rights referred to herein" means the right to protest, but it's a moot point if any gathering of three or more people in public can be labeled an unlawful protest by the government without evidence.

I'm asking for a reference to "the rights referred to herein". It doesn't say that a gathering of three or more is an unlawful protest. It's clarifying the terms of "gathering" and "demonstration" for subsequent articles/literature that clarify rights--which are missing from the post.

I'm starting to understand you more. You are doing the best that you can.

Last edited by tabzer,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok look milei is about to wholesale lithium to Musk, nothing says libertarian like underselling at a failure
Sounds like he’s building an export base in the Chilean model. It would be good for the country to become a major exporter, and halving the value of the currency to better reflect its real value was the first step. This seems to be the second.

• Haha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land