Homebrew FCE Ultra GX Mod [Preview + WiiUPro + ScreenShot button]

Tanooki16

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@hug0-a7x: thank you, it's a pleasure ;)

Update with the plugin patch for WiiFlow thanks to fledge68

Edit: Update 2: A commit had a graphical problem (sprites were riding the sidebar in games like Super Mario Bros. 3 or Kirby's Adventure), it's fixed

Update of the Forwarder (Nintendo Gray Logo)

And after hesitation, I only keep the version Dark Gray (1 / for differentiated my version of the official 2 / for compile that a version will save me time 3 / I think it's more pretty ^^)

Edit 2: Small update of the GUI:

Color of the windows changed (white as the buttons).

Console of right window deleted (cleaner and better for Famicom covers).

Refocusing the right window (the selection bar overflowed to the left of the window).

Edit 3: Color change of the GUI (I hope you enjoy).

Edit 4: Cleanup screenshot memory management. fixes preview image not displaying on gamecube

Update GUI color

Last edited by Tanooki16,

Flo_o

Trophies
XP
Country
@Tanooki16 gamecaptor said it well. May the Force be with you.

Sorry to bother you with a bug report with all that's going on, but i spotted a PAL games problem. It's the audio, it sounds like the tempo is constantly slightly changing, with a hick-up every 50 seconds or so. It's hard to explain but it sounds off. (the setting for the region is on automatic, also tested it with setting it on pal)

I have recorded it with my phone, first 2 PAL games and then a NTSC game:

- Asterix (PAL) Sound / you can hear the hickup at 0:47 and 1:33
- Little Nemo (PAL) Sound / at 0:09-0:12 the tempo is changing and at 0:38 there is a hick-up
- Little Nemo (NTSC) Sound / for some reason, the ntsc music is slower than the pal version but the pal version should be the slower one if i'm correct. Also, i don't know if i played little nemo to much on real hardware, but i have a feeling that the music with the ntsc version is also not 100% correct.

@niuus i don't know if this bug is also in FCEUltra RX, but i will test it soon.

Reactions: Tanooki16

Tanooki16

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Flo_o Thanks for reporting the problem ;)

PAL 100% repaired, video and sound. I recommend using the PAL palette for a perfect result :)

Edit: Fixed a small resolution error, and PAL regions detection.

I put a video to show the accuracy of the PAL mode. test done with my mod and my NES PAL

Now I'm going to drink a good cold beer ^^

Attachments

• Video real PAL console fceugx-mod compare.zip
    8.7 MB · Views: 142
Last edited by Tanooki16,

Flo_o

Trophies
XP
Country
@Tanooki16 Oh wow!! Thank you so much Tanooki for the awesome update, video and your incredible work! FCEU is my favorite, can't wait to test it out! :):grog:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Tanooki16 Just checked your video, that's awesome! The little nemo pal game is such a time capsule for me, love it to hear it in true pal timing, thanks again, best weekend ever! :grog:

Last edited by Flo_o,

Flo_o

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi @Tanooki16 just tested your new version, but i hate to say it but the sound of PAL games is still a bit skippy and feels strange when listening to it (i am an audio technician so i'm really focused on audio details and faults). See attachment for the FCEU settings i have enabled (I also tested GameTiming on PAL instead of Automatic but is both identical). Also, i have recorded the sound of 2 pal games, first the sound of FCEU and then real hardware (my old childhood PAL nes). I have imported the recordings in Protools (audio editing software) to clean them up a bit and trimmed them so that both tracks will start on the same note and have an identical start to calculate the timing.

First one is Mega Man 2
- FCEU
- REAL HARDWARE

As you can hear, the sound stutters a bit and it feels like notes sometimes are overlapping each other or shifting, like at 0:01, 0:17, 0:42, 0:47 and 0:50. It's no speed change anymore like the previous version but more like the sound is skipping tiny fragments. It's hard to explain.

Second one is Little Nemo
- FCEU
- REAL HARDWARE (ignore the food processor sound in the background)

You can hear the same same skipping parts at 0:10, 0:20, 0:24, 0:28 and 0:36. At 0:28 and 0:36 you can hear one note two times very clearly.

I have compared the audio speed of FCEU with the REAL HARDWARE and it is interesting to see that the FCEU audio is a little bit faster (see attachment MM_B and LN_B).

Would be great if you can look into it again and can see if something can be tweaked. Thanks again for helping out and your tweaks, really appreciate it :)

Attachments

• DSC_0025.JPG
    DSC_0025.JPG
    688.6 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_0026.JPG
    DSC_0026.JPG
    643.9 KB · Views: 137
  • LN_A.PNG
    LN_A.PNG
    141.9 KB · Views: 137
  • LN_B.PNG
    LN_B.PNG
    100.7 KB · Views: 178
  • MM_A.PNG
    MM_A.PNG
    106.3 KB · Views: 144
  • MM_B.PNG
    MM_B.PNG
    107.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited by Flo_o,

Flo_o

Trophies
XP
Country
@Tanooki16 Hahah thanks man, then i won't hesitate with spamming some bug reports ;) (been a gametester for a long periode so i love to hunt down some bugs and make projects like these perfect)

Awesome to see your new version, many thanks! Will test it out immediately after dinner and will let you know how things sound and play :)

Reactions: gamecaptor

Flo_o

Trophies
XP
Country
@Tanooki16 Hi Tanooki, tested, recorded and played 3 recognizable games for me, MM2, Little Nemo and Ufouria. Here are the results;

the sound is almost perfect now (your last tweak compared to the previous version is huge!:) but when playing Sunsoft's Ufouria (one of my favorites) the sound is still different then original hardware or the direct NSF soundbank file (also, don't know if this is important to know but the FCUE sound is still a tiny fracture faster compared with original hardware, see picture).

- UFOURIA FCEU
- UFOURIA .NSF

Again, hard to explain (and maybe i am too much attached to the original hardware sound) but you can hear it at 0:01-0:02, 0:04 and 0:006 for example, it sounds like that sometimes notes are played half, just if the first fragment of a key is missing, compare it with a song that starts somewhere in the middle.

For some reason, it's best noticeable with Ufouria. I can also hear it vaguely with MM2 but Little Nemo sounds fine (or maybe it is because of the fast tempo):

- MM2
- LITTLE NEMO

Is it possible to look into it again and check if something can still be tweaked?

Attachments

• UFOURIA.PNG
    UFOURIA.PNG
    51.4 KB · Views: 115

greator

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Upon opening the app, it said "error opening directory". The app can't detect any of my rom inside fceugx/roms, I cant even open that folder directory, it keeps bring me back to SD USB DVD directory.
I'm using the apps from my SD and all my roms is in the same SD.

I don't have this problem when using latest vanilla fceugx.

Flo_o

Trophies
XP
Country
Upon opening the app, it said "error opening directory". The app can't detect any of my rom inside fceugx/roms, I cant even open that folder directory, it keeps bring me back to SD USB DVD directory.
I'm using the apps from my SD and all my roms is in the same SD.

I don't have this problem when using latest vanilla fceugx.

- cut/paste boot.dol, icon.png and meta.xml to ---> SD:\apps\fceugx
- after first boot it will create a fceugx folder in SD root, FCEU will use this location for games ---> SD:\fceugx

Flo_o

Trophies
XP
Country
@Tanooki16 Hi Tanooki, hope everything is going well with you. Did some more testing yesterday with the latest version but the audio problem with PAL games i mentioned before is also present with NTSC games unfortunately.

SAMPLE As you can hear at 0:10, 0:28, 0:34, 0:40, 0:46 etc, the music is clipping.

If you have the time to check it, that would be awesome :)

Last edited by Flo_o,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply...