Hacking Few questions about New 3DS XL modding

hexcode99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone found a way to region change a n3DS(XL) and gain access on that region's Nintendo eShop.
Source system = n3DS(XL) that has your setup. This is the one you want to region change. Let's say it's natively USA but you want to make it EUR.
Target system = n3DS(XL) that is blank or reformatted. I don't know if this one has its NNID unlinked server side. This one is also natively USA.

Breakdown of what to do??

1. System Transfer the source system's setup → target system.
  2. Region change the source system's firmware from USA → EUR.
    • There's a variation of restoring the NAND with the original setup and then region changing the firmware.
  3. For the source system, launch the EUR Nintendo eShop.

Will that work JPN → USA too? I have o3DSXL USA (never connected to eshop on 4.5.0-10U with Gateway) and was considering a n3DSLL JPN.

Edit: Looks like you need two n3DS systems

As far as B&H goes, any concerns as it list it as the 2015 version?

That refurbished one from Nintendo for $120 is not a bad option too.

Last edited by hexcode99,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will that work JPN → USA too? I have o3DSXL USA (never connected to eshop on 4.5.0-10U with Gateway) and was considering a n3DSLL JPN.

Edit: Looks like you need two n3DS systems

As far as B&H goes, any concerns as it list it as the 2015 version?

That refurbished one from Nintendo for $120 is not a bad option too.
Correct. You need another (unlinked) n3DSXL / n3DS / n2DSXL that's native to USA region [natively matches region to the source system] in order to System Transfer your profile off the source system in order to do the region change with access to that adopted region's Nintendo eShop. The only reason to buy a JPN n3DSLL is if there's an limited special edition model exclusively sold in Japan that you want.

2015 doesn't mean it's stock manufactured from 2015, just that it's the original year the New 3DS XL was released to distinguish the previous Old 3DS XL model. You can't go wrong with either brand new B&H or refurbs Nintendo store options.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

hexcode99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. You need another (unlinked) n3DSXL / n3DS / n2DSXL that's native to USA region [natively matches region to the source system] in order to System Transfer your profile off the source system in order to do the region change with access to that adopted region's Nintendo eShop. The only reason to buy a JPN n3DSLL is if there's an limited special edition model exclusively sold in Japan that you want.

2015 doesn't mean it's stock manufactured from 2015, just that it's the original year the New 3DS XL was released to distinguish the previous Old 3DS XL model. You can't go wrong with either brand new B&H or refurbs Nintendo store options.

Wait, so I would need two n3DS systems from Japan or one from Japan and one from USA?
And when this works, it allows to access eshop/game updates etc?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, so I would need two n3DS systems from Japan or one from Japan and one from USA?
And when this works, it allows to access eshop/game updates etc?
I wrote that post originally thinking of two USA n(2/3)DS(XL) with the intent of region changing one of them to JPN. To rephrase it another way, you can't System Transfer a native JPN 3DS with a native USA 3DS, not even if you region change the native USA 3DS to JPN firmware. Both source and target systems have to share the same native region in order unregister the source system.

In order for your imported JPN 3DS to successfully region change to USA firmware with access to USA eShop, it has to first System Transfer its NAND profile over to another real JPN 3DS. Once that happens, only are you then free to region change it to USA firmware. Be warned you can undo all this work if that system first launches JPN eShop before USA eShop (ie, re-register itself with Nintendo server as being JPN).

hexcode99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wrote that post originally thinking of two USA n(2/3)DS(XL) with the intent of region changing one of them to JPN. To rephrase it another way, you can't System Transfer a native JPN 3DS with a native USA 3DS, not even if you region change the native USA 3DS to JPN firmware. Both source and target systems have to share the same native region in order unregister the source system.

In order for your imported JPN 3DS to successfully region change to USA firmware with access to USA eShop, it has to first System Transfer its NAND profile over to another real JPN 3DS. Once that happens, only are you then free to region change it to USA firmware. Be warned you can undo all this work if that system first launches JPN eShop before USA eShop (ie, re-register itself with Nintendo server as being JPN).

Damn, I really wanted that Pearl White n3DS LL... but seems like a real pain in the ass to get the JPN system on USA firmware while keeping eshop as I would need to buy two systems.
Originally I did not really care for accessing the eshop. But other users who have posted in this tread seems to really make a big deal about keeping access to eshop.
I don't plan on really buying another on eshop honestly. The only thing I guess might be useful is access to game updates, but don't see why that is life and death issue.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, I really wanted that Pearl White n3DS LL... but seems like a real pain in the ass to get the JPN system on USA firmware while keeping eshop.
Originally I did not really care for accessing the eshop. But other users who have posted in this tread seems to really make a big deal about keeping access to eshop.
I don't plan on really buying another on eshop honestly. The only thing I guess might be useful is access to game updates, but don't see why that is life and death issue.
The ways to get around the updating games problem are to either download CIA updates from those sites or already have a CFW'ed (n)3DS to download the updates, dump them into CIAs with GM9, and then install them with FBI on the JPN n3DSLL.

If you already have two USA n(2/3)DS(XL), do System Transfer between them, region change the source system to JPN, buy & import the JPN n3DSLL white pearl edition, System Transfer that with the [successfully] region changed USA → now JPN 3DS, and then finally region change the JPN one into USA.

Even riskier is buying the JPN n3DSLL and swapping in USA n3DSXL mobo (not recommended).

Another idea is to buy a white n3DS(XL/LL) replacement shell housing and change this out on a cheap/used n3DSXL.

Edit - ??? The pearl white n3DSXL was officially released for the USA market?

hexcode99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, didn't know that. Wish it was still for sale, but kooks like it was a play-asia exclusive
https://www.play-asia.com/new-nintendo-3ds-xl-pearl-white/13/709h8d
I would never buy a gamestop "refurbished" anything though.

Only have the one USA o3DSXL on the older firmware with gateway and a katsukity capture board. Will end up trying to sell if I can get the n3DS setup.
So the n3DSLL system I want to region change from JPN to USA can NEVER have connected to eshop, correct?
Does that apply to the second n3DSLL system I need to a system transfer with? Could I just buy a cheap used Japanese n3DSLL and resell after?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, didn't know that. Wish it was still for sale, but kooks like it was a play-asia exclusive
https://www.play-asia.com/new-nintendo-3ds-xl-pearl-white/13/709h8d
I would never buy a gamestop "refurbished" anything though.

Only have the one USA o3DSXL on the older firmware with gateway and a katsukity capture board. Will end up trying to sell if I can get the n3DS setup.
So the n3DSLL system I want to region change from JPN to USA can NEVER have connected to eshop, correct?
Does that apply to the second n3DSLL system I need to a system transfer with? Could I just buy a cheap used Japanese n3DSLL and resell after?
That play-asia product page seems to be the native EUR n3DSXLL Pearl White edition.

Choice A)
Buy a virgin, BNITB, never before used or opened n3DSLL, region change its firmware using ntrboot, and then lastly access the USA Nintendo eShop.

- or -

Choice B)
Buy a preowned n3DSLL, System Transfer its NNID over to another JPN n(2/3)DS(LL) in order to deregister it off the JPN Nintendo server, region change its firmware using ntrboot, and then lastly access the USA Nintendo eShop.

The source r/3dshacks thread where that information was obtain did not specify if the other JPN 3DS (the target system receiving the NNID or user profile) had to be never having connected to any region Nintendo eShop.

I'm losing track which is which for the 3DS systems and what option is recommended.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far