Hacking Files on MicroSD are screwed up

Alato

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Over the past couple of years, problems have come up with my microSD cards.

I recently bought an EDGE with a nicely loaded 2GB Kingston MicroSD for a friend. A bit less than a week later he told me that it's not working anymore. The MicroSD may have screwed up when attempting to save with Colors!.

It's a problem that I'm familiar with, it doesn't load with the flashcard, and when reading it on computer, all the files are gone, and three folders with weird jumbled names are present.

The first few times this happened to me, I'd reformat my card, which was okay since I usually had a pretty recent backup. One time, however, I didn't and couldn't format it, even though all my data was gone- it's a long process getting everything on, and I didn't want to look at all my work being gone. I left the card for about a week and when I had the time to format it, all my files were back. Of course I was very happy, backed up all my files and played some games.
Then it happened again. This time I just checked the card for errors(or maybe I ran scandisk?), and all my files came back(some filenames were shortened, like "DONKEYK1.SMC").

Anyway, being his first week with a flashcard, he played it a lot, and had a lot of images he drew, music he made and saves of games he played. I told him to check it for errors, but this did nothing to save the files, it only made the corrupted folders go away. It's still full and doesn't allow him to put anything on it, but it's screwed up.

So are there any ideas of what I/he can do to fix it without formatting the card?

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
He's got view hidden folders turned on right? (sorry if it's a dumb question, but thought it best to check. Any file fragments Scandisk finds it will attempt to put in a hidden folder on the card)

Alato

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, no, I actually haven't asked which I should of, so I'll ask him now.

EDIT: Nothing appears.

Alato

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bri said:
It sounds like someone forgot to use "safely remove hardware" and their microSD card got corrupted.

-Bri
Yeah, may be the case, although it was working on his DS in the morning and stopped later, and he hadn't been on computer.

Either way, I guess I'm going to have to help him set it up again, and maybe find some close saves on Gamefaqs.

kenman1

Trophies
Website
www.focalprice.com
XP
Country
United States
The samething happen to me but i lost all my files and i don't back up
frown.gif
so yea i am screwd

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1