GBAtemp Exclusive (Final day) Reviewers wanted! GBAtemp is hiring contributors

pitterpatter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you enjoy playing the latest video game releases? Is writing your strong suit? Then we want you!

GBAtemp is looking to hire some new contributors for our lovely Magazine Staff. Your role would be to write timely reviews for new games, ranging from indies, to AAA hits, helping GBAtemp with review coverage on our front page. If you're interested, then we're looking for the following:
  • Be able to write reviews efficiently.
  • Have good understanding and comprehension of the English language.
  • Know how to create well paced and interesting reviews for new video games.
  • Having a gaming PC, Nintendo Switch, and/or PlayStation 4 in order to take on the review codes. (PS4 users are highly wanted)
Magazine Staff users benefit from their role on the site, gaining certain privileges, such as:
  • Receiving games to review for free, sometimes even weeks before official release.
  • You get a nice orange banner, and it comes with a bonus newspaper!
  • Helping guide the future of our editorial team.
  • Once you write three official reviews, you get your own OpenCritic profile, which showcases your reviews on a professional critic site.
Please note that this is not a Reporter or Moderator position, as we currently have those roles fulfilled by current staff! Once hired, you would be expected to join GBAtemp's Magazine Staff Telegram chat, and discuss events and related duties within the app. (And of course, joke around along with everyone, too!)

If you're interested in applying, you can click the link below to send @T-hug and @Chary a private message with your application. Let us know why you want to apply, what makes you think you have what it takes, and proof of your prior writing experience. If you lack the latter, you'll be asked to write a review in our Review Center, linked here.

:arrow: Send your application here!

Applications will be accepted until March 20th.

You forgot the best part: No pay.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You forgot the best part: No pay.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I signed up for the free things and now have more than 100 titles on my Switch. I can't say I'm complaining lol, though I suppose the value of things varies from person to person.

Reactions: phonz

pitterpatter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not wrong, but you're insinuating that not mentioning that was some intentional slight perpetrated by the original post, which... well no, obviously not. =3=;

You're right, GBAtemp isn't hiring anyone. They're accepting volunteers, who are being compensated for their time with the games that they review. Don't insult the intelligence of your userbase by claiming that it's a job, when it isn't. There is no pay involved.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're right, GBAtemp isn't hiring anyone. They're accepting volunteers, who are being compensated for their time with the games that they review. Don't insult the intelligence of your userbase by claiming that it's a job, when it isn't. There is no pay involved.

I hardly think it was anyone’s intention to insult the intelligence of the people here. Yes by all accounts it is certainly more of a volunteer basis. But make no mistake, it is a job, reviewing games and/or hardware isn’t as easy as it sounds. There’s a lot of work goes into it.

It’s not a “job” in the traditional sense of having an employer/employee relationship where you receive a salary for the work you do. But in every other way, it is.

You will still be expected to conduct yourself in a way that is professional and not detrimental to the website. Whether that’s here — or anywhere else.

You won’t be receiving “pay” but will receive goods as remuneration for the work that you do. For some people that’s enough for a little bit of their spare time.

Personally, I don’t have an issue with that. I’d be happy to write up articles in exchange for games. But then, my time is my own, I have no-one to answer to, so I can do what I like when I like. For someone who’s time is more precious, well that could be a more difficult decision.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hot statistics are in! 170 games total, 18 of them are cartridges!

no i dont have a problem
I have more cartridge games cause I distinctively avoided trying to get a SD card. Since Cartridge games do not install data on the system (Unlike Xbox and playstation consoles) Unless is a update or save data, it's a good priority for saving data for the digital only games. Too bad some of them are very high in storage requirement due to poor decision. :ninja:

But I guess you having all those digital games make your system truly mobile without having to swap those game cards. :P

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Chary How's the field lookin'? I've got a PS4, but my Switch is banned and I'm currently missing an Xbox. I could review DOA6 when it comes out and apply? Certainly I like writing and have opinions, but is there already a bunch of applications?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
@Chary How's the field lookin'? I've got a PS4, but my Switch is banned and I'm currently missing an Xbox. I could review DOA6 when it comes out and apply? Certainly I like writing and have opinions, but is there already a bunch of applications?
There is a bunch of applications, but that doesn't mean anything. Send in your application too if you are interested.

Reactions: Chary and Scarlet

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have more cartridge games cause I distinctively avoided trying to get a SD card. Since Cartridge games do not install data on the system (Unlike Xbox and playstation consoles) Unless is a update or save data, it's a good priority for saving data for the digital only games. Too bad some of them are very high in storage requirement due to poor decision. :ninja:

But I guess you having all those digital games make your system truly mobile without having to swap those game cards. :P
Hmm... There's not really a reason for having one over the other for me. I love a good cart, but I won't deny I've bought digitally on impulse lol. I think I have enough to fill my 200GB micro SD a few times over...
Enjoy an up to date list since I haven't made one in a while. A few demos and free things in there so the total is prob closer to 160ish.
[2019-02-23] Switch Game List.jpg

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think some people would look forward to that. :P
I'm very sorry to say that I've been playing the game semi-pro for a few years, (DOA5, that is) so it'll be a very fanservice-lite review, all about gameplay, which is definitely what everyone comes to DOA for, it's the gameplay, right? :unsure:

Reactions: Scarlet

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very sorry to say that I've been playing the game semi-pro for a few years, (DOA5, that is) so it'll be a very fanservice-lite review, all about gameplay, which is definitely what everyone comes to DOA for, it's the gameplay, right? :unsure:
Maybe, or you could find out why "Core Values" is trending on twitter. :creep:

Hmm... There's not really a reason for having one over the other for me. I love a good cart, but I won't deny I've bought digitally on impulse lol. I think I have enough to fill my 200GB micro SD a few times over...
Enjoy an up to date list since I haven't made one in a while. A few demos and free things in there so the total is prob closer to 160ish.
Some of those games have high file sizes even for non retail release. That would be a easy way to fill up the SD card.

You also have duplicate titles as well as unneeded demos, and your box art for breath of the wild is different than the one I have. Probably a regional thing, I thought we was done with stuff like that since retro games. :blink:

You also seem to have healthy list of mutiplayer games, specially since you complain about having bad internet. :P

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe, or you could find out why "Core Values" is trending on twitter. :creep:
I have literally spent the last several hours grinding away at the online demo, my core value is BEATING THE EVERLOVIN' SHIT OUTTA EVERYONE THEN DOING THE LOSER TAUNT UNTIL THEY DISCONNECT. THAT VALUE IS CORE!

i'll review xtreme 3 scarlet afterwards to apologise

warweeny

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i was thinking about applying, but then it dawned to me... there are hardly any games i want to play this year.
It would be a waste of reviewer chances for me to enroll since there are only 2 games that interest me this year, while others can play games that i do not like.
And i do not like the idea of force playing a game i do not like just for a review, i am not that desperate for free games.

I would be interested in being a review editor though, that i don't mind, i have experience too.
So if that is needed i will take that offer :P

Reactions: gameboy

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well, playing a game you hate to write a review on it sounds worse than doing a book report. Worse if you are required to finish the game and ir happens to be long.

I remember trying to finish Kirby Dreamland 3, the game was so easy that even not using the button to summon mini dark matter it became a chore.

And this was a bad game of a character I actually like and at least the sound and art of the game were good enough.

Being a videogame reviewer means playing games you might not only not like but that might be buggy as hell.

So.. do you have the guts? Do you have the stamina? Do you have one of those punching inflatable clown things for when you feel frustrated?

And remember to cushion the floor for when you end throwing things in frustration.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1