Hacking Final Fantasy Type-0 RomHacking

Bahamuth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First big congratulations of making it this far and many thanks for doing this for the fans :D

Regarding what you were saying regarding the Crimson Codex always being loaded into RAM even when it can't be accessed, is that something that you can change to free up RAM space, or is that going to have to be in the finished version as well? You were saying how it makes the game lag a bit on real hardware, and I thought it would be rather interesting if a fan-translation patch winds up running better than the original game.

Now to the real stuff

What he said, any chance that you might be able to save the RAM by stop making the CC Static?

Will you make a tutorial on how to merge the ISO files for the game together to 1 ISO instead of 2?

blackfire219

D-Wheeler Accel Duelist
Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT: Ok, the question this was an answer to was deleted... oh well... xD

I thought the moderators would only delete the duplicated post, instead they both deleted my post, geez..

So Square Enix overestimated the specs of PSP, and the issue of CC being static in RAM was their mistake because it does not unload from RAM even if you're already in the mission battles..

Btw, the LBA check issue of TF6 has already bypassed and fixed, so only the translation of the story is not done because they haven't translators. The story script of that game was almost 40k strings..they have also thread here in GBAtemp.

blackfire219

D-Wheeler Accel Duelist
Trophies
XP
Country
First big congratulations of making it this far and many thanks for doing this for the fans :D

Now to the real stuff

What he said, any chance that you might be able to save the RAM by stop making the CC Static?

Will you make a tutorial on how to merge the ISO files for the game together to 1 ISO instead of 2?
ISO merging tutorial was already posted in his wordpress website. You just only need to download the linked merging file, umdgen, and copy of type-0 game, choose either of the two,disc 1 or 2..just read carefully the instructions provided :-)

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What core just said. For some other translations projects I've completed, I've created custom patching applications that the user can run to simply select the original game image and let the program save the patched ISO. I was thinking I could do the same in Type-0.

Regarding RAM issues, as of now the game should run faster than the original version, not only thanks to optimizations, but also due to the fact that it can only run from MS without encryption (installing the original game in the MS encrypts it, so when reading it from the MS there is a slight overhead due to decryption).

In fact, if you ever played it, you know there is some data that appears during loading times (mission time, defeated enemies, etc...); now loading times are so fast, that that's hardly readable. On the other hand, making the game load and unload the CC when it needs it would be a major ASM hack and I don't really think it'll worth it. There are other kind of possible optimizations to implement ;)

~Sky

earlynovfan

Delusional
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now if only there was a magical way to get it playable on the Vita. :c

But I'll still dust off my psp and play the hell out of it when it's done. If there's anything you guys need help with, feel free to contact me. :D

~Cheers :)

blackfire219

D-Wheeler Accel Duelist
Trophies
XP
Country
What core just said. For some other translations projects I've completed, I've created custom patching applications that the user can run to simply select the original game image and let the program save the patched ISO. I was thinking I could do the same in Type-0.

Regarding RAM issues, as of now the game should run faster than the original version, not only thanks to optimizations, but also due to the fact that it can only run from MS without encryption (installing the original game in the MS encrypts it, so when reading it from the MS there is a slight overhead due to decryption).

In fact, if you ever played it, you know there is some data that appears during loading times (mission time, defeated enemies, etc...);a now loading times are so fast, that that's hardly readable. On the other hand, making the game load and unload the CC when it needs it would be a major ASM hack and I don't really think it'll worth it. There are other kind of possible optimizations to implement ;)

~Sky
Yes, I saw that part when the game loads. Sometimes when you finished the mission, it will display the mission results in random loading times but it is also dissappears instantly. I still use the 2GB merger because I don't have enough memory space on my PSP.

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
And speaking of missions, some mission-related graphics need edition. Let's see if we can regain contact with our original graphic editors ;)

(Also looking forward to this week's report :P)

~Sky

Reactions: toroal

mushra

Asgard
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Now if only there was a magical way to get it playable on the Vita. :c

But I'll still dust off my psp and play the hell out of it when it's done. If there's anything you guys need help with, feel free to contact me. :D

~Cheers :)

Its not magic but as long as you don't update your PS vita passed 3.01 and you get your hands on the current game that allows homebrews to be inserted (Currently the game that works in 3.01 101-in-1 Megamix for most places and Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Battle Arena2 for Japanese accounts.) Once you have one of those you have to wait for the TN-V4 files to be released in Wololo's site and transfer all that to the vita, boot up the game, load the save exploit and then start up Type 0. I can take a pic of my vita playing it. I was sure I said somewhere during page 30~50 that the merged ISO works on the vita though. Anyways in work right now so I will edit my post and put a pic of it later.

Adams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
12/16/13 week ending report on Monday (United States time)

3 of 10 Main translators were active

Sean translated 425+ lines! (and proofread) (with a broken arm)
Adam's team translated 2172 lines!
Big contributors to this team's efforts:
Sean for translating and proofreading a ton
Adank for translating over 1000 lines
And all our great proofreaders!

2655 of 1000 weekly goal
5857 of 4000 monthly goal
Approx lines of Japanese left: 14105 of 34549
Completed this week: 7.6%
Completed this month: 16.9%
Completed: 59.1%
Completion projection based on this week: 1.3 months

Almost 60% done!!

Ziggi_Strife

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Thats good =) This project is coming along nicely. Im just pissed i can't be a part of it cuz of the lack of my skils.

I wonder if the Vita will ever be hackable like the PSP. so you could just download a game put it in a iso file and play it.

Bahamuth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ISO merging tutorial was already posted in his wordpress website. You just only need to download the linked merging file, umdgen, and copy of type-0 game, choose either of the two,disc 1 or 2..just read carefully the instructions provided :-)

Well, found it and tried.

Result was.

I can get the game to boot, but I'm caught in a loading loop, changed to UMD ISO MODE Sony Np9660 and it worked... Til I pressed new game, after that I get caught in a black screen :S

Running ME 6.60 1.8.

Any fixes you know of SkyBladeCloud?

blackfire219

D-Wheeler Accel Duelist
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, found it and tried.

Result was.

I can get the game to boot, but I'm caught in a loading loop, changed to UMD ISO MODE Sony Np9660 and it worked... Til I pressed new game, after that I get caught in a black screen :S

Running ME 6.60 1.8.

Any fixes you know of SkyBladeCloud?
I forgot to mention, Sky already changed the merging files 2 months ago with over 2GB. It is recommended to use PRO CFW and change UMD driver to Inferno.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong