ROM Hack Fire Emblem Fates: ROM Hacking General Thread

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a rather specific question, but I thought I'd go ahead and leave it here anyways.

Does anyone know how the game determines which music can be used in My Castle? I thought that I'd be able to find some kind of file within the My Castle folders with music labels or something along those lines, but I've turned up nothing. At this point, I'm wondering if it's based off of something in IndirectSound.bin, though I haven't looked through that file yet.

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a rather specific question, but I thought I'd go ahead and leave it here anyways.

Does anyone know how the game determines which music can be used in My Castle? I thought that I'd be able to find some kind of file within the My Castle folders with music labels or something along those lines, but I've turned up nothing. At this point, I'm wondering if it's based off of something in IndirectSound.bin, though I haven't looked through that file yet.
I think it is probably in /m/@E. Look around for any filename that mentions the castle.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it is probably in /m/@E. Look around for any filename that mentions the castle.
I've looked through the text files, though the only file I've seen related to music is Bgm, which just assigns names for the music labels. Those names obviously show up in the My Castle menu, but that file also includes songs that do not currently show up in the menu, like End of All.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I've looked through the text files, though the only file I've seen related to music is Bgm, which just assigns names for the music labels. Those names obviously show up in the My Castle menu, but that file also includes songs that do not currently show up in the menu, like End of All.
Try the common folder, some BGMs such as support BGMs are decided there, and voice clips for level ups too I believe.

Reactions: Omegablu

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try the common folder, some BGMs such as support BGMs are decided there, and voice clips for level ups too I believe.
Looking through all of the files in the common folder, I'm not seeing anything related to map music, just voice lines for My Castle and level up dialogue. I don't think anything in the @E or common folders control what music can play in My Castle.

I went ahead and looked through IndirectSound.bin as well, though unfortunately I didn't see any different between sound block inside that file, so I'm assuming that nothing in there is tied to the My Castle menu either. I'm going to keep looking through files, but I'm starting to wonder if something inside the BCSAR itself determines what shows up in the menu.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I finally found out how to add new music to My Castle! The music settings for My Castle are stored in Museum.bin of all places - I got extra songs to show up by changing their parameters around to match the default My Castle songs. Very simple change, and the results are exactly what I wanted!

Here's the menu with a new song added in. I also went ahead and included some screenshots from swapping around My Castle maps, though I'm trying to work through a whole host of different issues with that right now.

Reactions: RainThunder

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Okay, I finally found out how to add new music to My Castle! The music settings for My Castle are stored in Museum.bin of all places - I got extra songs to show up by changing their parameters around to match the default My Castle songs. Very simple change, and the results are exactly what I wanted!

Here's the menu with a new song added in. I also went ahead and included some screenshots from swapping around My Castle maps, though I'm trying to work through a whole host of different issues with that right now.
I'm guessing the issue is that you can't place any buildings?

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing the issue is that you can't place any buildings?
I can place them - the issue is collisions. My Castle doesn't handle where units can move like normal maps do, so you can't just change tiles around to set where you are allowed to move. I know that the .bin associated with the map model controls those collisions, but I'm still not sure how the file controls them.

Last edited by thane98,

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Does anyone have any idea how skin color is determined? Like how Rinkah/Benny/maybe Ignatius I didn't check/Fuga have darker skin and that the darker skin applies to all reclasses and if you swap their face models/textures entirely... And would it be possible to just stick a different skin color on anybody?
Anything that has to do with 3D modelss, models themselves, unique models, textures, literally anything, is handled from the character's AID.

I don't know exactly how skin color would work, but it'd be a good idea to check the AIDs in ROM3 and compare them.

ribbonroad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything that has to do with 3D modelss, models themselves, unique models, textures, literally anything, is handled from the character's AID.

I don't know exactly how skin color would work, but it'd be a good idea to check the AIDs in ROM3 and compare them.

Damn, was kinda afraid of something like that. Never managed to get FEAT to work on my computer so I can't exactly decompress anything

Pichi-Hime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hair color (THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THE 3D MODEL) is the final 4 bytes of the AID.
Untitled.png
So the last 4 bytes of what I have highlighted are the hair color for lucina?

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the last 4 bytes of what I have highlighted are the hair color for lucina?
No. What you have highlighted is the region where the labels are stored. You need to look where the pointers are, which is higher up in the file and should have nothing that makes sense in the text region. Also, I would recommend using Wxmedit to hex edit files as it has an option to switch to SHIFT-JIS so that Japanese characters display properly. Not necessary, but helpful.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, some updates on the My Castle stuff I was working on.

I managed to insert a new building into the game. At the moment, I can't get anything outside of simple decorations to work (placing a new shop, for example, causes a crash). I haven't had a lot of success with model swapping either, but that's the kind of stuff that can be looked into now that the new block's been inserted successfully. I also added in some new My Castle assistants by editing the Butler.bin file. Adding in new assistants is really easy, but the issue is finding labels - there's no prefix associated with the labels, just some Japanese characters on their own. I went ahead and put together an album of all my recent My Castle hacking here. I'll also leave a download for the files here in case anyone wants to try the edits on their game.

While I was editing castle_building.bin in order to add in the new building, I went ahead and mapped out the building blocks inside the file. It's a little incomplete at the moment, but I'll leave it here in case someone else wants to try messing around with buildings. Or if you want to add it to the main post, that's fine too.
r8vmxTy.png

Attachments

• My Castle Edits.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 253

Pichi-Hime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. What you have highlighted is the region where the labels are stored. You need to look where the pointers are, which is higher up in the file and should have nothing that makes sense in the text region. Also, I would recommend using Wxmedit to hex edit files as it has an option to switch to SHIFT-JIS so that Japanese characters display properly. Not necessary, but helpful.
How do i switch to SHIFT-JIS?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one