ROM Hack Fire Emblem Fates: ROM Hacking General Thread

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to make my own DLC character, but I don't know how I determine the name for a few files.

In the asset folder, there's a file called G022.lz for the Minerva Cipher character I believe, I also noticed there's a single file for the Awakening Trio for @DeathChaos25 's DLC, but there isn't a file for anyone besides the Cipher characters or the Awakening characters, so I don't know if I need one.

Similarly in the face folder, there is a file named FaceDataE022G.bin.lz, as well as ones for the Awakening characters and the rest of the cipher characters, but it also has one named FaceDataE123G.bin.lz which is the Witch, so I'm pretty certain I need this one.

But here's my question, how do I know what to name these two files, as I think that and building the DLC is all I have to do to test my character.
Names of file in the asset folder (which are the files that establish AIDs or asset IDs) don't matter. Try not to put special characters in the name, but otherwise the name is irrelevant. A good example is Jake.lz. Notice the lack of a .bin file extension before the .lz. Make sure yours look like that. Whether or not you need to add files to the asset folder depends on whether you desire to use a custom AID ( which contains models, sprites, etc.) for your character. If you are using an AID from the rom, than ignore the files in the asset folder. For the Facedata files, I usually name mine like this example: FacedataRelevantnamehere.bin.lz. Whether or not you are using one of these depends on if you are using portraits from the rom or imported ones.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Well, the file can have any names as long as you follow certain naming patterns.

IN the FaceData folder, this is the file that controls any new character portraits, if you're not including any new portraits you don't need it.
The files in the asset folder can be named literally anything, files that go in here are for any new JIDs or AIDs.
The GameData/Person folder is where the character block itself goes, you can name it anything, however you need to write the filename somewhere around the end of the file, and at 0x20 write a pointer to the label of the filename, while also making a pointer in the pointers table to 0x20.

I think that's the basics.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, now I need to figure out how to pack it, and make sure I'm not missing any files.

If anyone wants to help me check that I have everything I need, here's the files I made, I think I may be missing the files to actually tell the game to recruit the character, as I am uncertain how to make those at this point.

I also need some sort of rfs file for makerom, and I'm uncertain how to get that.

Attachments

• Lyndis.7z
    35.1 KB · Views: 83

Omegablu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, now I need to figure out how to pack it, and make sure I'm not missing any files.

If anyone wants to help me check that I have everything I need, here's the files I made, I think I may be missing the files to actually tell the game to recruit the character, as I am uncertain how to make those at this point.

I also need some sort of rfs file for makerom, and I'm uncertain how to get that.
Taking a look at what you have so far, it isn't too bad. A few recommendations: 1. Keep the portrait art consistent, as you are currently using two completely different pieces of art for the two different portrait sizes. 2. DLC is sorted into two main folders: local and global. What you have in that 7z file is what should go into the Global folder. Anything placed in the global folder is automatically stored in extra data upon loading the dlc entry. Anything you want the game to retain after the level is over should go in the global folder. The local folder contains the onetime stuff, like scripts (the instructions for how to run the level), temporary data like the golden Faceless assets in Boo Camp, etc. This folder is where you'd find the file that tells the game to add your unit to the roster. @Deathchaos can help you with that. It's hard to explain, and he did a stellar job explaining it to me.

ribbonroad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to import a custom portrait into the game, but for some reason the dragging the folder to the create.bat file won't work. A program usually opens for a split second and then closes before I can even see what it is. Trying to extract anything with extract.bat gives similar results...any clue what I'm missing here?

Omegablu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to import a custom portrait into the game, but for some reason the dragging the folder to the create.bat file won't work. A program usually opens for a split second and then closes before I can even see what it is. Trying to extract anything with extract.bat gives similar results...any clue what I'm missing here?
That's what it should do. A file that shares the name of your folder should be created in the same folder.

ribbonroad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what it should do. A file that shares the name of your folder should be created in the same folder.

Well, that hasn't been happening. I've even searched for the name of the folder to see if it somehow got created somewhere else or I just missed it, but nothing seems to be created when I do it.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taking a look at what you have so far, it isn't too bad. A few recommendations: 1. Keep the portrait art consistent, as you are currently using two completely different pieces of art for the two different portrait sizes. 2. DLC is sorted into two main folders: local and global. What you have in that 7z file is what should go into the Global folder. Anything placed in the global folder is automatically stored in extra data upon loading the dlc entry. Anything you want the game to retain after the level is over should go in the global folder. The local folder contains the onetime stuff, like scripts (the instructions for how to run the level), temporary data like the golden Faceless assets in Boo Camp, etc. This folder is where you'd find the file that tells the game to add your unit to the roster. @Deathchaos can help you with that. It's hard to explain, and he did a stellar job explaining it to me.
I was expecting one of those to be the Inventory/Status picture, with the other being the combat picture which is smaller in game. I used the same sizes as Minerva's cipher character's portraits.

Omegablu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried it both with the folder in the same folder and without it in the same folder, and it didn't work either time.
Are the files in the folder all named correctly and have the right extension?
I was expecting one of those to be the Inventory/Status picture, with the other being the combat picture which is smaller in game. I used the same sizes as Minerva's cipher character's portraits.
Your sizes are right. I am talking about how you varied the art by using a piece of art from one artist for the smaller portrait and a piece of art from a different artist in the bigger portrait.

Omegablu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think so? It's a crit portrait so it should just be the one ベース.bch.lz file, shouldn't it?
Yes. Right click on a file from the pack (not the portrait file you made), then hit properties. In the general tab, look for a button to unblock the files. If it doesn't exist, then the file is fine. Do this for all of the files from the pack.

ribbonroad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Right click on a file from the pack (not the portrait file you made), then hit properties. In the general tab, look for a button to unblock the files. If it doesn't exist, then the file is fine. Do this for all of the files from the pack.

There's a box checked that says "Read-only", you mean that? I tried unchecking that box for the files, but it still didn't work, and then it would re-check the box for every file.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I was able to get Lyndis into the game, kinda.

I changed Cipher Lucina's files in ExData to Lyndis, but I think the g_contents.bin tells the game to expect a certain file size because I couldn't get it to load her picture, only Lucina's. I also can't seem to make Lyndis' picture the same size as Lucina's, I may have to try to find someone whose picture is a closer size.

Ok, Tried that, it told me DLC not found and when I had Cipher Lucina join again it undid what I did in the g_contents.bin it doesn't even acknowledge that there's an extra file in ExData now, I may not be able to place Lyndis' picture into the ExData without actually assembling a DLC file to add a new entry into the g_contents.bin.

TildeHat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While I was editing castle_building.bin in order to add in the new building, I went ahead and mapped out the building blocks inside the file. It's a little incomplete at the moment, but I'll leave it here in case someone else wants to try messing around with buildings. Or if you want to add it to the main post, that's fine too.
r8vmxTy.png

0x4C seems to be the required DVP to build/upgrade. 0x54 also looks like the required amount of kills for statues.

I guess no one knows where the starting facility data is stored…
Try the file castle_init_buildings.bin

that girl

Entrepreneur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
0x4C seems to be the required DVP to build/upgrade. 0x54 also looks like the required amount of kills for statues.

Try the file castle_init_buildings.bin
Thanks~! Once I get the unpacker working again, I'll look into it.
My unpacker used to unpack files with names (japanese and latin alphabets) but now the files are given seemingly random series of numbers as names.
I need to undo whatever my brother did in the program's settings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @MysticStarlight, Luckily, he survived.