Fire Emblem or Braverly Default?

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
I haven't played Bravely Default but Fire Emblem was awesome. I recommend playing it first, its long deep story is great and the turn based fighting is much cooler with the 3D attack animations which you can change from 1st to 3rd person during battle animations.

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
I think it really depends what you're looking for...
I haven't really played FE. It's an SRPG with good story AFAIK.

BD is based around classic FF games with the job system from FFV. I think it has one of the best soundtracks of a JRPG in a long while and the story is pretty enjoyable, even if the the chapters leading up to the last one become boring as hell.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I own both. Fire Emblem is excellent, the story is meh but the gameplay mechanics and depth are fantastic. The music is lovely and visuals are very nice. Cut scenes in particular are gorgeous.

BD's story is meh, the gameplay mechanics bore me to death. The music is really goo and visuals are very nice.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Fire Emblem. It's easily the best game to release on the 3DS to date, turning me, someone who used to hate grid based combat, into a believer. The only reason people are losing their shit over Bravely Default is because it's newer and one of very few games that can be deemed worth playing from the past few months. Overall, it comes across as a pretty generic JRPG. Nothing special, and I'm sure it will never end up on a 3DS top ten list down the line. Fire Emblem though, that's a title that can make the 3DS worth owning.

Reactions: Celice and Arras

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I think it really depends what you're looking for...
I haven't really played FE. It's an SRPG with good story AFAIK.

BD is based around classic FF games with the job system from FFV. I think it has one of the best soundtracks of a JRPG in a long while and the story is pretty enjoyable, even if the the chapters leading up to the last one become boring as hell.

Thou the battle system is pretty meh in BD. I prefer FFV over BD always.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fire Emblem is too easy. I really liked the aesthetic of the game, but I was quite far and my main character was so insanely strong that I literally just tossed him into the movement range of as many enemies as humanly possible.
I was playing on the second hardest difficulty mind you, but I can not possibly imagine it being any better thanks to how the game is laid out. They seemed to take everything that made Fire Emblem an actual challenge, and casualized it.
Never got to finish it since I gave the game and my FE 3DS to my Ex and wont ever see it again. But i'm not that crushed over not finishing aside from seeing where the story went.
Has a really nice soundtrack too. There's one song from a dramatic part of the game i've listened to so many damn times.

Bravely Default has a much more in-depth looking combat system. I've only played the demo, but even that took me ages because of all the different jobs and stuff. Was quite the learning curve. I usually don't like turn based games, but BD has huge amounts of stuff to think about, and a lot of versatility to let you play relatively how you'd like to play. I don't particularly like its emphasis on "get help from other real people!" because I don't want the help of some other asshole...but I have no idea how much that actually matters in the full game. I'm super excited for BD because it seems really fun, and like I said that is a rare damn thing considering it's TB.

I'd say BD has a longer lasting appeal unless you somehow really, really suck at Fire Emblem and actually find it mildly challenging. The fact that the combat degenerated to something so simple just absolutely killed the game for me, and I refuse to create my own artificial handicaps to make the game harder if i'm just playing the game as intended and not exploiting something to make it easier.

Daemauroa

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you sentence started with fire emblem instead of bravely default, though bravely default should have come first in the sentence because of alphabetic order. so you answered your question already yourself.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're looking for depth in your battle system, I have to say Bravely Default. It takes a classic, beat to death FF job system and breathes a bit of life into it. I personally found it to be overdone, and I couldn't really get into the combat or the FFDS chibi visuals, but the music was decent and the battle system does what it aims to do pretty well. I only played the demo, which wasn't enough to encourage me to buy the game. If I end up with an opening in my Gamefly queue I'll probably give it another shot.

Fire Emblem simplified the battle system even while adding a couple new mechanics, although the maps are too open and rarely present a need for tactical thinking or formations, at least in my opinion. The visuals and music are top-notch, though, even if the character models are lacking feet. Plenty of bonus content too, both paid and free, and callbacks of all sorts to older FE games, related or not. I really enjoyed it, although you can probably see my bias pretty easily, and despite looking dumbed-down, the higher difficulty modes can be a real challenge.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
depends on what you want. essentially it's choosing fire emblem or final fantasy, so pick whichever is more appealing to you. Both are amazing though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, is that kinda like bonzi buddy?