Hacking Firmware cleanup?

KHSebastian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so the other day, I decided to take the plunge, and set up the Twilight Hack. I have done some "hacking" on the PSP, but I'm just a script kiddie. I know all the terms on the PSP, though, through years of being around it. However, the Wii, I did not know so well. I started with the Twilight Hack, and installed Homebrew Channel. That was so simple, it made me want to cry. Then I went and installed Gecko OS, so that I could use Ocarina. That worked out, too.

Then the bad part came. I decided to set up a Gamecube loader. I started following a guide, and I didn't really know what it was telling me to do. I just followed it blindly. I didn't screw anything up, but Gamecube games weren't working, and I realized it was because I was on 3.4. So I went and followed this tutorial: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/735325

I did all the stuff that it says at the beginning, about fixing WAD and cIOS support (which I hadn't done before the first try, which is why I think it didn't work), and then did everything in the guide, and it seemed to go on without a hitch. However, as before, when I went to launch the Gamecube game, it didn't work. It gave me a green screen, and seemed to be loading, but the Wii just reset. Wii backups do work, though.

Anyway, unless there is a simple fix for this problem, can somebody tell me how I might go about getting a completely clean firmware, without the patches I applied? That way, I could start over new, now that I've got a little more idea what is going on.

I know, on the PSP, I could downgrade, and then upgrade back to the latest version, and everything would be the way it should be. Is this how it would work on the Wii, as well? I ask this because I'm not completely sure which files were patched... I know I'm stupid, so you don't have to tell me that, but everyone is a noob at some point.

Capn_Makeveli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's pretty overwhelming when you first start (especially at this point in the modification of the console). But Emperorofcanada has a great tutorial for downgrading. And when you downgrade on the Wii, it is similar to the PSP in the fact that you do not do regular nintendo updates. You can install the ios or cios files as needed. Similar to the m33 updates for the PSP.

As for the gamecube backups, did you use Waninkoko's cIOS or Wiigator's? Some people have had different luck with one or the other. I use Waninkoko's. Also on a side note, when or if you downgrade to 3.2u you should probably reinstall the cIOS for the backup launcher again to make sure. Myself and several others had a problem with the backups not working after downgrade, and then after a reinstall everything worked fine. Hope some of this helps.

edit: Link to emperorofcanada's tutorial is in my sig under starfall

KHSebastian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help, and the understanding. The only thing I'm afraid of, is that the first program I tried to use, I lost the link to, and have no idea which loader it was, and I installed... A cIOS file for it (I guess it was a cIOS), and I'm afraid it might have a detrimental effect. Like maybe it altered a file that the Wiigator one needs (which BTW, I used the WiiGator loader).

I'd like to downgrade, and just start from scratch (like I'd like to install a completely official Nintendo update, and just redo the Twilight Hack). Is that possible in any way, or do I have to try and fix my mistake?

Capn_Makeveli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am not sure if the new official nintendo updates blocks all the homebrew or not. I know that since you are able to downgrade from 3.4u to 3.2u then you should be able to. But I think that all the ios's and cios's will still be there. And since nothing was messed up during your installation and everything is working fine, then you should be ok. Just need to reinstall, or downgrade and reinstall. I can't give any links to any of the IOS's, but I can send you a pm.

mrgarrison

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I noticed that you said you followed the guide for downgrading and it worked but games stil wont load, but in your next post you said your still at 3.4. Did you follow that whole guide? installed cios_fix? IOS downgrader then cIOS downgrader? cIOS downgrader will take you from 3.4U to 3.2U.

Back to my question. You still on 3.4 KHSabastian??

Valgreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i would just do softmii. easy guide to follow, gets you where you need to be for both gamecube and wii backup loading through disc channel. downgrades you to 3.2, makes sure you have all the correct ios's and cios's and gives you preloader so you can do sys menu hacks, just as you would w/ starfall

www.softmii.org

dont worry about what you have already done, just get softmii and follow the guide, it has all the files you need in the pack. make sure you wii is connected to wifi before you start the install.

KHSebastian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'm installing SoftMii, and having an issue. I'm at the part where you need to use the NAND browser. I have two issues.
1.) The only NAND related things are NAND dumper, and the tweak shop, thing. I don't know if they meant NAND dumper, but that's the only thing I see.
2.) It tells me to go to Title > 0000001. There is only 00000001. If I click on that, there's a ginormous list of files, all named with essentially the same format. There is a 00000002, but I need 0000002, and if I open it, the app file I need isn't in there. On top of that, to open the file I want, I need to put the cursor 5 files below the file I want... Which is kind of weird.

File 1
File 2 (Target)
File 3
File 4
File 5
File 6
> File 7

That's what I have to do, to get the file I want.

Am I using the wrong program? It came in the package I got on Softmii.org.. So I'm kinda confused...

Also, if you wanna help me out, it'd be much easier to just chat on MSN/Yahoo or AIM.
AIM: Sebastian61890
MSN / Yahoo: [email protected]

joe90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think you have an older set of instructions, with a newer version that doesn't requre you to have 0002. bit.

KHSebastian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that step is to get a NAND dump, to restore... What, my firmware? I dunno. But I assume it's important, and I don't know how to dump my NAND otherwise.

KHSebastian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, cool. Thanks =) I'm sorry I'm a big pain, and whatnot, but I've got a backup of Twilight Princess for the Gamecube, sitting here, taunting me. (I hacked the Wii with the Wii version of Twilight Princess, so I could play a backup of the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess XD)

KHSebastian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nooooo! I got everything working, and my Twilight Princess backup isn't working! It tells me to power off the Gamecube, and look in the instruction booklet Q_Q. Oh well, at least the launcher is working. Thanks for all the help, everyone =)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UeJincEpEM