Hardware First critic review of the American 3DS

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
The graphics on the 3DS are nowhere near as valid as that comparison. They're good, but they're just a step above the PSP and definitely a step below the NGP.

They have about equal battery life, if you're wondering. Other PSPs though have easily removable batteries if you wanted to swap out batteries to keep playing on the go.
Of course it under NGP, that Sony thing.

(Battery life) But at the same time it has more power and features.

That a good thing in my book.

QUOTE(Slyakin @ Mar 19 2011, 12:05 PM) And this is unfortunately gonna change. Removing the battery in the PSP Go, although easy, will result in a voided warranty, due to the use of Pandoras in other PSPs.

This seems to be a trend that will extend to the NGP.
I do not think that NGP can be easily change.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ikki said:
Seriously, it's IGN. This review is as relevant as AlanJohn's posts.
Well, IGN did cover the 3DS well. They had a generally positive review and actually wasn't afraid of talking about the 3DS's weak points.

I'm just mad at how the entire review was ruined by battery life.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Slyakin said:
Ikki said:
Seriously, it's IGN. This review is as relevant as AlanJohn's posts.
Well, IGN did cover the 3DS well. They had a generally positive review and actually wasn't afraid of talking about the 3DS's weak points.

I'm just mad at how the entire review was ruined by battery life.
They do good coverage, not good reviews.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ikki said:
They do good coverage, not good reviews.
lol, you got me there.
wink.gif

I wonder how they'll react to the NGP.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's so much wrong with the summation of that review.
1: They're judging the system performance by a piece of its internal software, the AR games.
2: Saying that the build is bulky when it is almost the same size as a DSi, and much smaller and lighter than the DS Phat or DSiXL.
3: Complaining about the price that the retailers set, not Nintendo.
4: Comparing the battery life to a product that has not even been announced, if only expected.
5: Giving the system a final score THIS EARLY in the system's life cycle.

It's way, way too early to be making a judgement like this.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Guild McCommunist said:
The graphics on the 3DS are nowhere near as valid as that comparison. They're good, but they're just a step above the PSP and definitely a step below the NGP.

They have about equal battery life, if you're wondering. Other PSPs though have easily removable batteries if you wanted to swap out batteries to keep playing on the go.
Of course it under NGP, that Sony thing.

(Battery life) But at the same time it has more power and features.

That a good thing in my book.

QUOTE(Slyakin @ Mar 19 2011, 12:05 PM) And this is unfortunately gonna change. Removing the battery in the PSP Go, although easy, will result in a voided warranty, due to the use of Pandoras in other PSPs.

This seems to be a trend that will extend to the NGP.
I do not think that NGP can be easily change.

The honestly doubt the 3DS will have more or better features than the NGP. Nintendo is rather guilty of giving consoles with limited functionality. I mean the Wii can't even play a CD. The PSX could play a CD for god's sake.

I'm rather confident the NGP won't have an easily changeable battery and will probably have to be cracked open thoroughly just to change it if you wanted to. It's not like the PSP where you just push the button, take the lid off, and pop out the battery.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soooo Whens the First reliable non bitchy critic review of the American 3DS come out?

I just don't trust IGN

Also 3DS gets a 10/10 and the NGP gets a 9.9/ 10......nintendo gets an extra point for being lovable
wub.gif

D

Deleted_171835

Guild McCommunist said:
The honestly doubt the 3DS will have more or better features than the NGP. Nintendo is rather guilty of giving consoles with limited functionality. I mean the Wii can't even play a CD. The PSX could play a CD for god's sake.
Nintendo reminds me of Apple. They skimp on the features and focus on the user experience. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. I like Nintendo's approach since it allows them to fine-tune the user interface. There is no need to add features that only a minority of people will use. Rather than using overkill components in their consoles, they use components that get the job done even though they're not as powerful as other components.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IGN used to be my main site for reviews and the like...and then they changed. Now they're biased at times and their reviews tend to weigh on some stupid factors (they gave longevity a 4, but they say nothing about how it changes depending on if 3D or Wi-Fi are on or off or if you change the brightness setting, IGN everyone). I can tell the rating's going to suck when it comes to the review of the NGP
glare.gif

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
I mean the Wii can't even play a CD. The PSX could play a CD for god's sake.

You serious? What could you have possibly been thinking to bring up such a stupid comparison?

The PSX used CDs because that was it's prime format. The PS2 and PS3 continued with CD playback because their predecessors included it, with at least the PS2 needing it for PSX backwards compatibility. At no time with any of Nintendo's publicly released consoles did they ever have CD playback, so why include it now? [edit]I can understand how one would wonder why Nintendo didn't opt for DVD video playback as the drives that earlier versions had included those specific DVD read commands, but I see no reason for having CD playback at all.

Along with the whole PSP vs 3DS debate, some initial 3DS games look like they could be played on a PSP, while others clearly can not. That shows developer capabilities more than device capabilities. With the 6 year gap of when devices were released also comes the 6 year gap of knowledge developers have with each system. The PSP can handle a lot now, but you couldn't see the system handling presently developed games during it's first year.

[edit]
QUOTE(machomuu @ Mar 19 2011, 12:22 PM) IGN used to be my main site for reviews and the like...and then they changed. Now they're biased at times and their reviews tend to weigh on some stupid factors (they gave longevity a 4, but they say nothing about how it changes depending on if 3D or Wi-Fi are on or off or if you change the brightness setting, IGN everyone). I can tell the rating's going to suck when it comes to the review of the NGP
glare.gif

I'm gonna take a guess that they purposefully do this so people would keep coming back and debate through the comment section.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
DiscostewSM said:
At no time with any of Nintendo's publicly released consoles did they ever have CD playback, so why include it now? I can understand how one would wonder why Nintendo didn't opt for DVD video playback as the drives that earlier versions had included those specific DVD read commands, but I see no reason for having CD playback at all.
How about user convenience ? If your gaming console is connected to the TV in your living room all the time, it'd be nice if it also played movies and music, so you wouldn't need to buy additional equiptment, switch TV inputs etc. It's like mobile phones - when you're buying a new one, you're assuming it will at least have an alarm clock, a calendar, a calculator, some simple games, etc. etc.

DiscostewSM said:
Along with the whole PSP vs 3DS debate, some initial 3DS games look like they could be played on a PSP, while others clearly can not.
Actually, the majority of 3DS release lineup could ran on PSP. Ridge Racer, Asphalt, Super Monkey Ball, Pilotwings, Layton, Steel Diver, Lego Starwars, Bust-a-move, The Sims, Layton... all could be perfectly handled by PSP's GPU. OK, developers are just starting to learn, but the NGP demos shown are clearly one generation ahead, hand-down better.

QUOTE('Snailface') said:
Given that the 3DS can pump out a game that looks like RE: The Mercenaries while rendering two frames at a time and with programmable shaders, I would say it's leagues ahead of the PSP graphically. If it were compared with the PSP on fair grounds, (2D vs. 2D) the 3DS would crush the PSP without breaking a sweat.
3DS does not have programmable shaders.
3DS does render two frames at a time, but usually halves the framerate, so the total throughput is the same.

QUOTE('TheTwoRs')
What I meant is that when you're at home, you always have access to a charger so why complain?
What about people travelling ?
Don't try to diminish this argument: battery life is very import for mobile devices.
Plus, charging battery that is not fully discharged usually reduces its capacity (it depends if it's NiMH, Li-Ion or polymer, though).

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
OK, developers are just starting to learn [3DS programming],but the NGP demos shown are clearly one generation ahead, hand-down better.

You mean this trailer? http://www.g4tv.com/videos/51047/Games-For...on-NGP-Trailer/
None of those games scream "hand-down better" than the 3DS's graphics to me. Some of them (Killzone, the golf game) look better than the 3DS, but not a a huge amount, muchless "clearly one generation inhead"

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Xuphor said:
pachura said:
OK, developers are just starting to learn [3DS programming],but the NGP demos shown are clearly one generation ahead, hand-down better.

You mean this trailer? http://www.g4tv.com/videos/51047/Games-For...on-NGP-Trailer/
None of those games scream "hand-down better" than the 3DS's graphics to me. Some of them (Killzone, the golf game) look better than the 3DS, but not a a huge amount, muchless "clearly one generation inhead"
Okay, that's just blind.
I'm loving the 3DS and I don't find the NGP attractive but Killzone and Uncharted at least (the ones I most remember, won't sit through the trailer again) are miles away graphically from any 3DS game announced.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ikki said:
Xuphor said:
pachura said:

Okay, that's just blind.
I'm loving the 3DS and I don't find the NGP attractive but Killzone and Uncharted at least (the ones I most remember, won't sit through the trailer again) are miles away graphically from any 3DS game announced.

I just don't see that it's that much better, I just see them as somewhat better. Like GCN Mario Kart compared to Wii Mario Kart.
Guess it's just my opinion, forget I said anything.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:

DiscostewSM said:
Along with the whole PSP vs 3DS debate, some initial 3DS games look like they could be played on a PSP, while others clearly can not.
Actually, the majority of 3DS release lineup could ran on PSP. Ridge Racer, Asphalt, Super Monkey Ball, Pilotwings, Layton, Steel Diver, Lego Starwars, Bust-a-move, The Sims, Layton... all could be perfectly handled by PSP's GPU. OK, developers are just starting to learn, but the NGP demos shown are clearly one generation ahead, hand-down better.

Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion,Kid Icarus: Uprising,Mario Kart 3DS,Paper Mario,Rayman 2: The Great Escape,One Piece: Unlimited Cruise,Resident Evil: Revelations,Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D,Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time,Super Mario.

Oh orly? What make you think psp can even run those games as good as 3DS or at all (the ones you mention)?

QUOTE('Snailface')Given that the 3DS can pump out a game that looks like RE: The Mercenaries while rendering two frames at a time and with programmable shaders, I would say it's leagues ahead of the PSP graphically. If it were compared with the PSP on fair grounds, (2D vs. 2D) the 3DS would crush the PSP without breaking a sweat.
3DS does not have programmable shaders.
3DS does render two frames at a time, but usually halves the framerate, so the total throughput is the same.
I think he means Anti Aliasing and hear it has a fog feature...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa https://youtu.be/BKLXOGhXrj4?si=4kXpeyCfxwL_k3qC