Hacking Flashcart for DSi XL and 3DS?

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP has a DSi and he might prefer it for DS games (because original screen resolution etc). DSTWO is the best flashcard for DSi.
Maybe the 3DS he buys comes with 11.3 and he doesn't need a ntrboot compatible flashcard.

Yeah the DS ability is important to me. Those are the main games I play and they look super good on the DSi XL lol

So you only need 11.3 to install CFW? I was thinking it was 9.2 and older. Thanks for the info

Also I have an Edge DS card and an Acekard 2.1(not the i version). Do you know if it may be possible to use ntrboot on those? Don't mean to ask too many noobish questions. It seems like its not possible but I just want to ask to make sure.

Are you using TempGBA? I had almost perfect 60 FPS with that, but due to very slight framedrops the sound was kind of fucky, so I had to set frameskip to 1 to fix that. I definitely had a lot more than 30 FPS though, it was more like 58-59 FPS.

Yeah I have about 57 FPS in it too. I use it for the Megaman Battle Network games. In Boktai 1 and 2 however I get only about 45ish fps. In general most games run below 60 even though they may be in the 50s so I enable frameskipping. Which is basically like halving the framerate(Thats what I meant when I said 30fps, it basically feels like 30fps to me)

Last edited by Big Green,

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah the DS ability is important to me. Those are the main games I play and they look super good on the DSi XL lol

So you only need 11.3 to install CFW? I was thinking it was 9.2 and older. Thanks for the info

Also I have an Edge DS card and an Acekard 2.1(not the i version). Do you know if it may be possible to use ntrboot on those? Don't mean to ask too many noobish questions. It seems like its not possible but I just want to ask to make sure.
You can install a CFW on 11.3 without anything extra or on 11.6 (the current version) with a NTRBoot compatible flashcard.
Both of the cards you mentioned aren't on the ultimate list: http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-ntrboot-compatible-flashcards.492234/. They are not compatible.

Reactions: wormdood

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP has a DSi and he might prefer it for DS games (because original screen resolution etc).
how exactly would that be better than ak2i . . . ?
Can CFW with a DSi run GBA games? Like basically run the DSi in GBA mode and run the games at full speed?
yes it runs gba and dsiware at full speed (unless you meant dsi exclusive nds games . . . in which case no and neither does the scds2)

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
how exactly would that be better than ak2i . . . ?
It is possible that he can't use the AK2i with his DSi, the DSTWO has more features etc.

Regarding the DSi CFW question: there is no public DSi CFW and GBA games will most likely run worse than on DSTWO because the DSi itself is less powerful than the DSTWO (at least for 2D stuff).

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible that he can't use the AK2i with his DSi,
its fully updated as i said it will work on all ds /dsi / 3ds family systems (3ds will need cfw or system menu lower than 4.3)
the DSTWO has more features etc.
in game manuals . . . and a built in cheat editor (ak2i can use cheats as well but not edit them on the fly)
Regarding the DSi CFW question: there is no public DSi CFW and GBA games will most likely run worse than on DSTWO because the DSi itself is less powerful than the DSTWO (at least for 2D stuff).
oops i misread that i thought he meant 3ds cfw running dsi and gba . . . my bad

Last edited by wormdood,

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so basically I should have gotten an Acekard 2i or 3DS capable card from the start, but depending on the firmware of the used 3DS I get I still may not need anything to add cfw to it. Lol that would be cool if so I may still do the trade depending on how it goes with the 3DS if I get it

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Okay so basically I should have gotten an Acekard 2i or 3DS capable card from the start, but depending on the firmware of the used 3DS I get I still may not need anything to add cfw to it. Lol that would be cool if so I may still do the trade depending on how it goes with the 3DS if I get it
That's exactly right.
The trade is worth it because you will go from being able to play DS and GBA and that's it -> being able to install CFW and have access to 3DS, DS (from the new flashcart that gets sent), GBA, etc etc plus probably something extra to make up for change in value (DS Twos being more expensive than other flashcarts). If your console is on 11.3 or less already you wouldn't need the other flashcart to be ntrboot-compatible but you would need it to keep playing DS games. The one disadvantage is no longer being able to play GBA on your DSi, you'd only be able to play on the 3DS (someone correct me if I'm wrong but there isn't any proper cfw available for DSis yet is there?)

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
its fully updated as i said it will work on all ds /dsi / 3ds family systems (3ds will need cfw or system menu lower than 4.3)
in game manuals . . . and a built in cheat editor (ak2i can use cheats as well but not edit them on the fly)
The acekard 2i does NOT work with the latest DSi 1.4.5: https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Updating_the_AK2i_Bootloader
The DSTWO also has the GBA emulator etc.

Seriously, you shouldn't exchange the DSTWO for the AK2i. The DSTWO has much more value and the only letdown is that it doesn't support NTRBoot. But it works on all 3DS and DSi versions.
You can think about exchanging it if the 3DS you get has a version above 11.3 but otherwise it doesn't make sense. In addition to that the AK2i won't work with your DSi. You should exchange it for another card like an r4i gold 3ds type from r4ids.cn.

That's exactly right.
The trade is worth it because you will go from being able to play DS and GBA and that's it -> being able to install CFW and have access to 3DS, DS (from the new flashcart that gets sent), GBA, etc etc plus probably something extra to make up for change in value (DS Twos being more expensive than other flashcarts). If your console is on 11.3 or less already you wouldn't need the other flashcart to be ntrboot-compatible but you would need it to keep playing DS games. The one disadvantage is no longer being able to play GBA on your DSi, you'd only be able to play on the 3DS (someone correct me if I'm wrong but there isn't any proper cfw available for DSis yet is there?)
Yep, there is no CFW for DSi yet.

Reactions: Big Green

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The acekard 2i does NOT work with the latest DSi 1.4.5: https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Updating_the_AK2i_Bootloader
i noted that in an edit before you commented
but if you want all those features in one post then . . . gba and snes emulators and in (.nds) game manuals and on the fly cheat editing . . . oh yeah gateway mode (. . . which can lead to a brick if not careful)
The DSTWO also has the GBA emulator etc.
come on man we were talking about regards to nds roms . . . as you (and the op) implied . . . and regardless i mentioned the snes and gba emulators previously
In addition to that the AK2i won't work with your DSi.
incorrect flat out incorrect
Seriously, you shouldn't exchange the DSTWO for the AK2i. The DSTWO has much more value
we all know that scds2 cost more as i intended and as quantum said the op could get more than just a 20 usd ak2i for 40 usd scds2 . . . do you know how bartering works. . . ? . . . also i mentioned multiple items and referenced the fact that i am eager to get one and that i have more items to offer. . .
You can think about exchanging it if the 3DS you get has a version above 11.3
the very post you quoted is the op saying exactly what you said . . . congrats

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
assuming that OPs DSi is on the latest FW correct.
sorry i was under the impression 1.4.4 was the latest . . . i had to look that up and thanks for the info/ correction
In that case he wouldn't even be able to flash ntrboot to the acekard 2i which would leave him with a card he can't use at all.
its currently flashed with ntrboot and i would discuss what he wants flashed to it . . . just because you would refuse to trade your scds2 does not mean he cant want to . . . all this talk about his ability to play gba roms . . . i have an extra cfw psp just sitting next to me atm . . . also it could be ak2i and other items like a 64gb sandisk microsd (still in the packaging)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: