PS1/2 Flickering on CRT RGB Scart after a while

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Forgive me, I forgot to add to the topic name of what console is involved.
I have a strange problem with my Playstation 2 fat.

Namely, the screen starts flickering after some time. It is not like that immediately. Sometimes it happens in the menu, sometimes only after a few minutes of playing. It's not likely a TV problem, because when I connect the SNES to the same SCART jack (unfortunately, my TV has only one) or AV Famicom via RCA, the problem is not there.

I also have a cheap adapter for HDMI and there too there seems to be something going on with the picture, but not to this extent.

What could be the problem with this?

I tried switching display modes in the PS2 settings. Surprisingly both work with SCART connection. But the problem remains.

Last edited by rsc-pl,

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Same on other cable.
Can it be caused by interference of Wifi 5G or 5G network? My router is relatively close to my tv and it happens mostly when Im doing something on my phone.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Same on other cable.
Can it be caused by interference of Wifi 5G or 5G network? My router is relatively close to my tv and it happens mostly when Im doing something on my phone.
Jes it can be, for scart in general is analogue sygnal it is possible,
there are 3 things to get it better:
  • Twisted wiring with in each pair a ground wire should make it better for destortion will mostly leak it to the ground.
  • Shielding it like Coax does, for the shield will take most of the surrounding energy and pull it ti the ground.
  • Distortion filter magnets on both ends of the cable looped.

Reactions: rsc-pl

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'll try taking it to my friend tomorrow. He has CRT TV too.

The thing is that even when it starts to happen (I'll try to record a video too) there is not only a problem with wobbly image but also colors. However, the problem disappears after restarting the PS2 or after a while (about 2-3 minutes).

I noticed that it does not occur at all in lower resolution mode (there are some games that are using 240p or in PS1 mode)
So it may indeed be an interference problem. Unfortunately I don't have a composite cable to check what it looks like when connected this way.
Post automatically merged:

Here's how it looks like:

I tested it a little more and it seems that there is probably something wrong with the console. The problem disappears after a reboot or by itself if the console is just turned on for a while.
I have turned off my router and the phones I have as well and it doesn't seem to have any effect.
Sometimes completely, sometimes you have to reboot again.

I don't know much about electronics, but I think it's safe to say that it's not likely to be a capacitor problem, because then the situation would be the opposite (the console would work fine "cold" and the problem would start to occur after heating up).

Last edited by rsc-pl,

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'll try taking it to my friend tomorrow. He has CRT TV too.

The thing is that even when it starts to happen (I'll try to record a video too) there is not only a problem with wobbly image but also colors. However, the problem disappears after restarting the PS2 or after a while (about 2-3 minutes).

I noticed that it does not occur at all in lower resolution mode (there are some games that are using 240p or in PS1 mode)
So it may indeed be an interference problem. Unfortunately I don't have a composite cable to check what it looks like when connected this way.
Post automatically merged:

Here's how it looks like:

I tested it a little more and it seems that there is probably something wrong with the console. The problem disappears after a reboot or by itself if the console is just turned on for a while.
I have turned off my router and the phones I have as well and it doesn't seem to have any effect.
Sometimes completely, sometimes you have to reboot again.

I don't know much about electronics, but I think it's safe to say that it's not likely to be a capacitor problem, because then the situation would be the opposite (the console would work fine "cold" and the problem would start to occur after heating up).

Oohhh, no that shouldn't be signal distortion, those thon't usualy last that long.
Looks more like the coating of at least 2 wires somewhere are gone at almost the same place.
The cooper doesn't touch , but it gets a capasitive effect at random.
This can also habben with corrosion inside the tv on one of the PCB's.

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oohhh, no that shouldn't be signal distortion, those thon't usualy last that long.
Looks more like the coating of at least 2 wires somewhere are gone at almost the same place.
The cooper doesn't touch , but it gets a capasitive effect at random.
This can also habben with corrosion inside the tv on one of the PCB's.
I need to do some more testing, but for now I'm pretty sure that it's not the TV's fault, because nothing like this happens when SNES console is connected like this.
I'm more betting on something being wrong with either the cable or the PS2 itself.
More likely the latter option, because when I connect this PS2 to my Samsung QLED TV via the PS2->HDMI adapter the picture also fades out. I bought another PS2 today very cheaply (it has a slightly scuffed case, but according to the owner, everything works as it should), a shipment is supposed to come to me on Saturday.
Also, there's a composite cable attached to it, so I'll see if this kind of thing happens too (if it's the PS2's fault then there should be display problems too).
By the way, after plugging in the SNES via RGB SCART, the image on the TV is devoid of any interference. E.g. the black background has no stripes or anything. On the PS2, even if there is no such thing as in the video above, there are still visible stripes (horizontal).

I also found a circuit diagram of an RGB SCART cable with resistors and capacitors for the PS2. I have already bought parts and a good quality shielded cable, I will try to make such a cable myself.
1666304936347.png

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I need to do some more testing, but for now I'm pretty sure that it's not the TV's fault, because nothing like this happens when SNES console is connected like this.
I'm more betting on something being wrong with either the cable or the PS2 itself.
More likely the latter option, because when I connect this PS2 to my Samsung QLED TV via the PS2->HDMI adapter the picture also fades out. I bought another PS2 today very cheaply (it has a slightly scuffed case, but according to the owner, everything works as it should), a shipment is supposed to come to me on Saturday.
Also, there's a composite cable attached to it, so I'll see if this kind of thing happens too (if it's the PS2's fault then there should be display problems too).
By the way, after plugging in the SNES via RGB SCART, the image on the TV is devoid of any interference. E.g. the black background has no stripes or anything. On the PS2, even if there is no such thing as in the video above, there are still visible stripes (horizontal).

I also found a circuit diagram of an RGB SCART cable with resistors and capacitors for the PS2. I have already bought parts and a good quality shielded cable, I will try to make such a cable myself. View attachment 332931
that's from the same site i got my diagram for snes scart cable.
i'm afraid it's gonna be the ps2, could be the connector, or the GPU pins... since you'd found your way this far and understands the diagram above i think you got at least the knowledge to do some soldering, just practise it first before on whatever you can find scrap to practise your skills before you'll fix the GPU or the PS2 connector. undoing damage self created is hard.

rsc-pl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yup something is wrong with that PS2. The package with other PS2 just arrived. I tested if for 2 hours and everything seems fine. Do you have an idea what can be causing it?

I don't think it's an AV jack issue, because moving it or reconnecting it doesn't change anything. But of course I could be wrong.
PS. same thing is happening when it's connected via composite (I've got composite cable with that 2nd PS2 that I just bought)
since you'd found your way this far and understands the diagram above i think you got at least the knowledge to do some soldering, just practise it first before on whatever you can find scrap to practise your skills before you'll fix the GPU or the PS2 connector. undoing damage self created is hard.
Yeah, but soldering the cables and soldering the circuit board are 2 different things.
I think I'll buy working PS2 with damaged case and just replace the case (because that first PS2 that this thread is in pretty good condition). PS2 consoles in my country are dirt cheap (you can buy it for $10 in working condition with dualshock included if you search enough) so it will be a good investment anyway.

Last edited by rsc-pl,

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's an AV jack issue, because moving it or reconnecting it doesn't change anything. But of course I could be wrong.
PS. same thing is happening when it's connected via composite (I've got composite cable with that 2nd PS2 that I just bought)
Never seen a fried GPU on a ps2 before, try to reflow the soter on the GPU with a heat gun, lets see if that fixes it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Youtubebox +1