EmperorOfCanada

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The age old question. Do I go for love or go for money?

I have been working for a company for just over 3 years now. I love my job. I am in a sales field and at only 3 years I am one of the senior staff in a chain of stores that has maybe 12-15 locations or so in western Canada.. So, not exactly a mom and pop company but not a huge company either. I love my job because it is easy, it is stress free, and since about March of this year I have been paid to either sit at home while waiting for renovations to complete, or sitting IN my store (which still wasnt ready to open) and play DS, watch movies, and of course spend all day reading the consumerist and gbatemp posts.

With such an easy workload and such little responsibilities, this is a lazy guys dream. However as I am in sales, and I work in a slow location to begin with and now with no customers at all (due to constant renovations) my pay has really really suffered. Almost half my wage is commissions so even though I am making enough to live on, its just barely enough, and I dont have enough to save much extra to get the house I want with my girlfriend.

On the flip side, change is hard. I could apply at a similar job but I would be working a lot harder, having a lot more stress and a lot less fun in my days, and lose whatever seniority I have in my company. I know it doesnt mean a whole lot at the moment but I can be such a chickenshit sometimes and I worry I will be giving up a job I love for a job I potentially could hate, and might not be able to apply here again if things dont work out.

What to do what to do?

Usually I am one of those people who say dont be a pussy, no risk no reward etc etc. But damn Im just not sure I can move on, or that I even want to.

What would you all do?

Cyberxion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since it's such a stress-free job, why not get a part-time job to go along with it? It sounds like you'd be fresh enough to go do something else afterwards. That way you have a bit more income, and you can ditch the part-time job once things start picking up at your primary place of employment.

That's what I'd do.

EmperorOfCanada

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Its been talked about, and ultimately if its what I had to do in order to not miss a mortgage payment or something then yeah Id work as long and hard as needed.. But I dont want my relationship to suffer, and it could be hard to avoid that if I only get to spend a couple hours a week with her.

As it is I work Mon-Fri 10AM - 6:30 PM, so much else on top of that will really cut into 'family time'

One thing I am going to do is ask for a couple bucks an hour raise, as well as working Saturdays, that will give me a couple extra hundred a paycheck which should be enough.

How to justify a raise when I dont do anything though? =p I have to be crafty.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You justify it by asking for it only until the renovations are complete so you start earning commission again. If you are reasonably important in the company, I think they would be willing to part with a bit more money till renovations are over.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From experience, go for what you love. I've been there and things have backfired and also its much much better to do what you love than to do what you don't.

Money comes and goes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol