For those of you with local music collections, what player do you use?

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
OP
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
(if this is in the wrong section could a mod pls move it thanks)
I've seen a decent amount of people admit to not using spotify/youtube/{insert streaming service} and instead downloading their music but because of that im curious, what do you use for playing the files you have?

Personally, when I'm on windows, I use foobar2000(setup attached) and when im on linux i just use foobar with wine(although i have heard good things about deadbeef, so i might try that at some point)

Attachments

• 1661706181070.png
    1661706181070.png
    461.8 KB · Views: 56

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use FOOBAR2000, the latest beta has dark theme now so good thing on my eyes. 😎

If I had a android phone, I would use droidsound. It's similar to Foobar cause it has plugins that allows for playing video game audio files. I mainly use Foobar for the plugins of playing audio files like spc, vgz, nsf, etc. VGMSTREAM helps a lot and both Foobar2000 & droidsound has it. Being able to extract audio files from games and play them with infinite loop like a sound test music box option from a game is always a good thing. Especially the smaller file size compared to common audio files used in media players. :P

Not very popular these days but I still use Winamp.
Well I would say it's still popular, if not popular maybe relevant is the word. There is plugins for winamp that does make it desirable I would say, just about equal to Foobar too. I personally haven't used it as much as I give it credit. But it's good to have options. :)

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I manage my collection on PC with iTunes, as someone who use both iOS and Android I've found it's easier this way.

Honestly I don't find iTunes as bad as I often hear people say it is, in fact I dislike how they've removed features over the years e.g. local copies of apps, keep an older copy of iTunes on my server for this reason.

On my Android devices I use Poweramp and on iTunes I just use the stock player.

For playing unmanaged audio files, usually I'll use VLC.

Not very popular these days but I still use Winamp.

They've recently released an update for it:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=458120
via
https://www.engadget.com/winamp-mp3-player-software-returns-191027227.html

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Car head unit, Windows media player/iTunes and I guess Pulsar on phone.
I used to use MediaMonkey but haven't anymore since 2010.

I honestly don't care what media player I use, all I want is music playing.
I barely ever look at the player anyway.

Reactions: SylverReZ

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Media Player Classic over Windows Media Player because it somehow slows down my laptop massively.
On mobile, I use the old Android player that was integrated in Android 4 and 5.

BrothersFiveGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On PC I use MusicBee, I think it has the same or better flexibility as winamp and foobar and may be less resource intensive, certainly less than iTunes. Lately though I mostly use Plex, and have my whole music library scanned in, then use their app to stream it from my computer to my smart TV at home, or to my phone anywhere I am. They have all sorts of subscriptions but you don't need them for basic music, the phone app is free and to use it to stream it costs $5 as a one time fee and that's it. You can also add video files if that interests you.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
PC:
winamp 2.92
the only real player

itunes
because i have an ipod, but i try to not update it ever (was forced to when my win xp died :) )
also for podcasts, because of the ipod
i manage my music collection with it

Phone:
none, i dont listen to music on my phone

Tablet Amazon Fire HD 10
Ez folder player ( because amazon eco system and f-droid only have crap players, this is the least crap)

Car:
only has a tape player
so a classic audio-plug to tape adapter from last century
but i also have a TAP3, a limited product i bought on bandcamp, which is a tape with a sd slot and a power cell

and...
i have some hardware players based on ESP32s with I2S-DACs which play my private Icecast/liquidsoap stream as part of my home automation

Last edited by mrgone,

kupo-on-gbatem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For music I still use Windows Media Player :D maybe because I'm used to it, maybe because it's simple to use and looks good.
For videos I use VLC Media Player or Potplayer (I like the thumbnail option, as we have it on websites like youtube)

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I throw my stuff on my NAS, which has a self-hosted streaming platform that supports both video and audio playback called Jellyfin.

I then just log into the Jellyfin UI via browser on PC, and through Jellyfin app on my phone, and stream off that.

I guess not everyone has a NAS. Definitely worth it though.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foobar2000 on both PC & Android Phone. There's little to no plugins for mobile version, but i guess the necessary features already come with the software..

Reactions: SylverReZ

Dragons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows media player pops up faster than iTunes mostly my phone use as MP3 player I use at work listen depending what mood I’m in at work

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
OP
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I throw my stuff on my NAS, which has a self-hosted streaming platform that supports both video and audio playback called Jellyfin.

I then just log into the Jellyfin UI via browser on PC, and through Jellyfin app on my phone, and stream off that.

I guess not everyone has a NAS. Definitely worth it though.
imagine not taking a desktop pc, a dac, and an amp with a powersupply everywhere to listen to music

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc