Force normal mode instead of extended-memory mode?

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
3DSs take quite a long time to boot, and it's a pain to wait like 2 minutes for a single game to shut down. But I can tolerate it, as the mode means that it's not New3DS exclusive.

And then there are games like CTGP-7, which have functioned completely normally until some idiot in development decided "hey, why not turn extended-memory on to make old3DS users suffer?"

So basically, is there a way to force a game into NOT using the extended-memory mode?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Chances are high that they turned this function on because the mod uses more resources than the old3DS has available through normal boot. I would honestly recommend trusting the developer’s decision on this one over assuming they were being dumb

Reactions: Kwyjor

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Chances are high that they turned this function on because the mod uses more resources than the old3DS has available through normal boot. I would honestly recommend trusting the developer’s decision on this one over assuming they were being dumb
I just want to know how to bypass it. Then I'll see if the decision was valid.
Post automatically merged:

Especially considering that my previous thread asking WHY was it put in was just ignored and buried.

Last edited by Ondrashek06,

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Developers don't owe you explanations or anything else. If you don't like their projects, then don't use them.

And then there are games like CTGP-7, which have functioned completely normally until some idiot in development decided "hey, why not turn extended-memory on to make old3DS users suffer?"
Of course! How could nobody have seen this before? CTGP7 doesn't need more memory to make custom features work on O3DS; the developers are just trying to annoy you, because everything is about you! It's all so clear now!

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just want to know how to bypass it. Then I'll see if the decision was valid.
Post automatically merged:

Especially considering that my previous thread asking WHY was it put in was just ignored and buried.
It got buried because you are demanding a dev comply with your extremely stupid request. They expanded it for a reason, sorry you have an old3DS that requires additional resources to function for the mods. Maybe you should try asking in the thread why they felt the need to run the mod pack in extended memory mode on the 3DS instead of being rude and thinking you know better
https://gbatemp.net/threads/mario-kart-7-custom-track-grand-prix-7-ctgp-7.396936/
But to answer your question before you go annoying them in the thread. The reason for the expanded memory mode is that this mod pack needs additional resources to function. When loading mods, cheats, and anything else external into a game, those will be loaded in RAM as well. In small cases like cheats or one or two mods, they will most likely only need a few additional resources but not more than the stock resources used by the game. For example, removing outlines from Pokemon games isn't going to be that labor-intensive on the resources. But when loading large amounts of additional mods, like the CTGP-7 mod pack, more resources are going to be needed. The 3DS stock amount of resources used by Mario Kart is very low, thus they need to tap into expanded memory mode to load in the entire mod pack. Without expanded memory either the pack crashes completely or lags/glitches. Simply put, if you want the mod pack to run then you need to be willing to allocate the resources for it to run. Either that or make a gimped version of the mod pack that doesn't require expanded memory mode.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
It got buried because you are demanding a dev comply with your extremely stupid request. They expanded it for a reason, sorry you have an old3DS that requires additional resources to function for the mods. Maybe you should try asking in the thread why they felt the need to run the mod pack in extended memory mode on the 3DS instead of being rude and thinking you know better
https://gbatemp.net/threads/mario-kart-7-custom-track-grand-prix-7-ctgp-7.396936/
But to answer your question before you go annoying them in the thread. The reason for the expanded memory mode is that this mod pack needs additional resources to function. When loading mods, cheats, and anything else external into a game, those will be loaded in RAM as well. In small cases like cheats or one or two mods, they will most likely only need a few additional resources but not more than the stock resources used by the game. For example, removing outlines from Pokemon games isn't going to be that labor-intensive on the resources. But when loading large amounts of additional mods, like the CTGP-7 mod pack, more resources are going to be needed. The 3DS stock amount of resources used by Mario Kart is very low, thus they need to tap into expanded memory mode to load in the entire mod pack. Without expanded memory either the pack crashes completely or lags/glitches. Simply put, if you want the mod pack to run then you need to be willing to allocate the resources for it to run. Either that or make a gimped version of the mod pack that doesn't require expanded memory mode.
You seem to completely ignore the fact that the game ran completely normally in the normal mode before V1.4.whatever. And the patch notes have explicitly stated that the flag to boot it in extended memory was added "just in case".

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How often are you switching between games that the reboot time matters?
*Remembers waiting for games loading from 5.25" floppy disks on Commodore 64* That can be painfully boring.

Better a reboot to get additional RAM "just in case" than risking out-of-memory errors for an increasingly complex thing. Would it be better to make the game New series 2/3DS only, instead of making the most of the limited Old series?

Reactions: Flobbie

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
How often are you switching between games that the reboot time matters?
*Remembers waiting for games loading from 5.25" floppy disks on Commodore 64* That can be painfully boring.

Better a reboot to get additional RAM "just in case" than risking out-of-memory errors for an increasingly complex thing. Would it be better to make the game New series 2/3DS only, instead of making the most of the limited Old series?
Quite often... the normal mode is designed for fast game exiting and entering, but CTGP-7 seems to have a problem with that.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even worse was the ZX Spectrum and it's games on tape that I had. You had to wait about 5 mins for the game to load to the title screen then you would start the game then have to wait another few minutes for the first level to load. You finish the level then another two minutes wait for the next level to load and so on. Sometimes the title screen wouldn't even load at all and you would have to start the whole process again lol.

I swear kids these days have zero patience. And would never have survived in the old 8bit days

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You seem to completely ignore the fact that the game ran completely normally in the normal mode before V1.4.whatever. And the patch notes have explicitly stated that the flag to boot it in extended memory was added "just in case".
So you literally got your answer in the patch notes.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No, I didn't...? I was asking how to bypass it, not why was it added.
Oh sorry, the answer is that you bypass it by downgrading to the versions before 1.4

Reactions: rcpd

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

RandomMan25XX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is how you react to CTGP-7 using extended memory mode I can only wonder how you'd react to other games that use it as well, it's likely that due to additions made to the mod as well as further extra features and what not that have been added to the newer versions have necessitated the need to use extended memory mode, it's not that big of a deal and it hardly takes that long to reboot out of extended memory mode

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've tried downgrading, problem is that it mostly doesn't allow me to do so. Also, all that this github contains is only a text-file of which files to pull from the servers. That's not the full installation.
That’s rough.
Looking over the changes, there’s definitely been more added and changed. My previous post covers the reason why expanded memory mode was most likely added. That said, the dev isn’t obligated to tell you how to disable it nor explain why it’s enabled. You are not entitled to “test it yourself”

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Since when I'm not allowed to do what I want with the hardware that I own?
I didn't say you weren't allowed to do whatever you want with your 3DS. You are just not entitled to make demands on a project that isn't yours and the dev already gave a reason for their decision. You are not entitled to demand something different from his project just for yourself to mess around with.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
You're free to use an old version that doesn't need EMM, use the current version that does, or modify the code yourself to suit your purposes. You are not entitled to demand that developers cater to your whims.
Tell me HOW to use an old version and I'll gladly do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo just follows Luke around with flowers
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny, every week he cries bout something and says that's it, I'm leaving this site for good.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See I'm a good match maker I always knew he wouldnt leave over luke
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Had to break down and turn on my AC today. 89 degrees in May. Bet August/September is gonna be crazy hot.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, when your wife kicks you out BOVONO Prefabricated Tiny Home, Mobile Prefab House with Lockable Door and Window, Outdoor Storage Shed with Restroom & Cabinet, Perfect for Hotel, Kiosk, Booth(19 x 20FT) https://a.co/d/ab1dd5t
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Pretty cool actually
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I feel pain on the left side of my stomach
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 looks neat, i would want one in the boonies
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Read the reviews
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    honestly, seems like a great option for temporary housing, but the reviews seems iffy
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I'm sure i could build one with the schematics if made available
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    the 2nd pic dun show much, just topdown view of the layout
  • Y @ yqw:
    someone has a cheat table for need for speed most wanted 2012?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The cheat codes 911 catch the crazy drivers
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I mean that game came out on every game system, so lets be a little more vague.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need cheats for GTA v, lol. And why ask here, go look for them yo self!
    +2
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    make 'em , they're not hard to do
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Fast and Furious Night Rider crossover !
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Rocks going to get mad when he heard he got cheated on
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea my monitors are definitely more than 3.9 feet away from my pc tower. But not like I'm gonna be buying a $3000 graphics card/monitor.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn