Former Google Stadia vice president forms new studio; working on new IP for PlayStation

ps logo.PNG

Jade Raymond, who was appointed as Google Stadia's vice president back in 2019, has announced her new Montreal-based independent studio, Haven Studios. Even if it is a new studio, Raymond already revealed that they are "already hard at work on an unannounced IP" for PlayStation in PlayStation Blog post.

"We want to create worlds where players can escape, have fun, express themselves, and find community. We want to pour our passion into a project," Raymond writes. "We want to make something wondrous for people to experience. Because we believe in the power of games to bring joy to people’s lives. And Sony does, too. Their commitment to excellence is unmatched. It’s why I couldn’t be happier for their backing and support."

To recall, Jade Raymond parted ways with Google last month when Google Stadia's game development studios shut down. Previously, she worked as a manager with EA and as a producer for Assassin’s Creed while at Ubisoft.

:arrow: SOURCE

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Generally speaking you are only as good as your last project...
Equally if you are foolish enough to sign on to work on stadia and don't run for the hills after you hear their plans (this is to say not putting a local server farm in every city to minimise ping and the pricing format on top of that) then you probably deserve everything you get. I will hope she had to stick around to get some shares or something.
Did you work at Stadia and have inside knowledge of the contracts signed between individuals and parties?

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I'm not liking these worlds:

"We want to create worlds where players can escape, have fun, express themselves, and find community."

Last point scares me. .-.
aye

I don't know what crossed your mind, but on my mind games with community usually reward players with boxes and if you have gems you can buy more boxes for more incredible rewards! It is super duper fun!!!

(I highlighted some words for unknown reasons)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not liking these worlds:

"We want to create worlds where players can escape, have fun, express themselves, and find community."

Last point scares me. .-.

"Community" is marketing buzzword 101/basic requirements these days.

Investors see community somewhere in the mission statement and they think "phew less advertising" and "ooh self sustaining long term income" and to be fair they are not wrong -- if a community sticks around they will do advertising for you, be around to buy the next game (possibly even preorder it from you and thus fund the development of it), be around to buy all the expansion packs/ports/"pay us cash for 10 minutes of work that was free once upon a time" skins, keep the servers hopping, keep the mods flowing (which also serves to reduce your support costs if modders fix it for free, and might also be recruited from).

If you just have a basic website then you have to buy (more) expensive adverts, buy expensive reviews, do some marketing stunts... all of which cost money in addition to losing the various perks above.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
aye

I don't know what crossed your mind, but on my mind games with community usually reward players with boxes and if you have gems you can buy more boxes for more incredible rewards! It is super duper fun!!!

(I highlighted some words for unknown reasons)

That's also annoying, but tbh, what worries me the most is another
"Community" is marketing buzzword 101/basic requirements these days.

Investors see community somewhere in the mission statement and they think "phew less advertising" and "ooh self sustaining long term income" and to be fair they are not wrong -- if a community sticks around they will do advertising for you, be around to buy the next game (possibly even preorder it from you and thus fund the development of it), be around to buy all the expansion packs/ports/"pay us cash for 10 minutes of work that was free once upon a time" skins, keep the servers hopping, keep the mods flowing (which also serves to reduce your support costs if modders fix it for free, and might also be recruited from).

If you just have a basic website then you have to buy (more) expensive adverts, buy expensive reviews, do some marketing stunts... all of which cost money in addition to losing the various perks above.

What worries me is that it will probably be another Battle Royale, there are plenty of those already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Up to you.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    smug sonic time lmao
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Chronic The HempHog
  • DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma:
    I'm new! Hi!
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Welcome
  • DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma:
    What are your favorite topics?
    DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma: What are your favorite topics?