PS1/2 Free MCBoot not launching please help!

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I have just turned my PS2 on and everything was working ok, the console would boot fmcb menu and i would either boot my hdloader or just boot game disc.

nothing has been touched or altered, all i did was load up metal gear solid 2 subsistance (OPL) after using codebreaker to enable cheats..... later the game crashed.

now when i boot i get the fmcb splash logo
black screen
then the mCBOOT configurtor menu

no matter what i do from here, it will reboot to this screen again.

I have no idea how to get it to boot back as normal where it took me to the ps2 browser screen with all my homebrew apps listed.

Does recovery mode work?
https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2716

It seems it’s not working on Sony PlayStation 2 hardware videogame console. PS2 Slim SCPH-90004 hardware model.

Your model is probably not compatible, check your BIOS:
https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5341

You may be able to use a disc based alternative:
https://github.com/CTurt/FreeDVDBoot
https://playstationdev.wiki/ps2devwiki/index.php?title=FreeDVDBoot_Compatibility_List

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Or I guess Swap Magic 3.8 DVD(which stopped working to me)just only CD. For instance,as an example Ratchet and Clank 2/Going Commando isn’t working within cheat codes. Anyway is FreeMcBoot violating Sony’s copyrights infringement,NDA,DMCA?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Or I guess Swap Magic 3.8 DVD(which stopped working to me)just only CD. For instance,as an example Ratchet and Clank 2/Going Commando isn’t working within cheat codes. Anyway is FreeMcBoot violating Sony’s copyrights infringement,NDA,DMCA?
It modifies the boot ROM code bypassing copy protection so 100% a DMCA violation. Might also be copyright infringement, not sure if it includes any original Sony code in there to make this modification work.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Here is a proof below.

Attachments

• EF225778-F704-4747-9B6E-1CC962F14E42.png
    EF225778-F704-4747-9B6E-1CC962F14E42.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 95
  • DC804F56-4287-43B7-9A85-4164B4D0AE91.png
    DC804F56-4287-43B7-9A85-4164B4D0AE91.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
Last edited by Luke94,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry i should have replied sooner, i have no idea what was going on but it fixed itself, tho the latest nightly for OPL just boots to black screen, but the older version I had already works fine so I guess no drama.

Just need to mess with some settings to get shadowman 2econd coming to run in sync with audio/movies not sure if its an issue with OPL setting or fact that i ripped the game myself on the PS2 using hddloader.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just turned on my old working freemcboot system and it doesn’t work anymore either. Memory card wasn’t reading at all. I cleaned the contacts and fixed that issue but it just hangs on freemcboot splash screen. I can boot normal and insert memory card and read it and see freemcboot is still there

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just turned on my old working freemcboot system and it doesn’t work anymore either. Memory card wasn’t reading at all. I cleaned the contacts and fixed that issue but it just hangs on freemcboot splash screen. I can boot normal and insert memory card and read it and see freemcboot is still there
Would sound either your card is proper fucked then or even the port.

Probably need to re do your card to prevent corrupted files copying over.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would sound either your card is proper fucked then or even the port.

Probably need to re do your card to prevent corrupted files copying over.
It seems the card and port are ok as far as reading and copying on it.
I ordered a new free boot memory card from eBay and it’s doing the same thing. Freemcboot splash screen just hangs forever and nothing else loads.
im wondering if I configured it to use the internal hdd and perhaps it has since failed?

if that was the case it should work, at least the new fmcb memory card if I remove the hdd and boot?

EDIT: OK, After more trouble shooting it seems it just doesnt't like the USB drive plugged in. I don't know why, I tried changing the files on it. I swear I tried unplugging everything but whatever it works now. Both FreeMcBoot memory cards work now. I guess I will just keep the ebay one since its newer homebrew than I did way back years and years ago. My games still work from my HDD. I would like the USB drive to work to back up game saves but if I have a whole new memory card maybe im good.

Last edited by blaisedinsd,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just use your memory card to load and save your config and use the OSD section to link your apps from your OPL app folder on your HDD.

Usb shouldn't be an issue either for your config, tho I think on mine it would over ride all configs if I used a USB that already had a config.

So now I just have it stored on one card and backed up on my HDD, I dont use USB at all because it has slow read speeds.

Just boot fmbc and then OPL to run games or HDDLoader to rip my game discs.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After trouble shooting it appears the usb has become like a virus that prevents freemcboot from launching all the way. I erased all the files and even reformatted it as FAT32. Anytime it is plugged in to the PS2 freemcboot won’t work but it will boot regular. Weird because I used this usb drive to originally install freemcboot in 2013 with mgs3 swap method. Even if I configured it weird the second memory card from eBay basically proves the usb drive is the cause. The usb drive works fine with windows and I played video files from it on my LG tv after formatting it. The only bad thing it does is mysteriously break freemcboots launch process

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So would it violate for instance,as an example NDA,DMCA,copyrights infringement especially for Sony PlayStation 2 Slim SCPH-9004 hardware videogame console?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1