FreePSXBoot - launch games with Gameshark codes?

Dracolich

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings, folks, longtime lurker here but just registered so I can ask this. So I just found FreePSXBoot and downloaded version 2.1 with unirom 8.0K and Tonyhax Intl 1.1.8. As a longtime user of FreeMCBoot on my PS2 it is exciting to have something similar for PS1 to run from a memory card. I successfully installed the unirom version on the first page of a Massive Memory Card 1440 (unstable piece of junk, I know) and it boots fine and will launch my CD-R backups.

Now I am curious about using Gameshark cheats. I have searched the Readmes, as well as forums here and PSX-Place and Reddit, but not finding any mention of it. I have a GS Lite CD and a GS 2.1 cart flashed with Zippy. If I have the cart switched on when I power on the console it boots Zippy, and Zippy's memory card manager doesn't trigger unirom. From unirom it will launch the GS CD but then it seems to lose the ability to launch a CD-R.

So, is there any way to launch into a cheat device before the game starts? If one of these hacks is installed to a cheat cart will it have any cheat ability?

JMaxxL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings, folks, longtime lurker here but just registered so I can ask this. So I just found FreePSXBoot and downloaded version 2.1 with unirom 8.0K and Tonyhax Intl 1.1.8. As a longtime user of FreeMCBoot on my PS2 it is exciting to have something similar for PS1 to run from a memory card. I successfully installed the unirom version on the first page of a Massive Memory Card 1440 (unstable piece of junk, I know) and it boots fine and will launch my CD-R backups.

Now I am curious about using Gameshark cheats. I have searched the Readmes, as well as forums here and PSX-Place and Reddit, but not finding any mention of it. I have a GS Lite CD and a GS 2.1 cart flashed with Zippy. If I have the cart switched on when I power on the console it boots Zippy, and Zippy's memory card manager doesn't trigger unirom. From unirom it will launch the GS CD but then it seems to lose the ability to launch a CD-R.

So, is there any way to launch into a cheat device before the game starts? If one of these hacks is installed to a cheat cart will it have any cheat ability?
use the PSX PSone PS1 action replay it will allow saves to memory card & it dose work with both tonyhax & UniROM freePSXboot

alexfree

Trophies
Website
alex-free.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Interestingly, I had been considering for a very long time to add custom user-supplied GameShark cheat code support to Tonyhax International itself. It might still happen.

I have the GSLITE as well. What I would do is
1) Use FreePSXBoot to start Tonyhax International
2) Boot GSLITE from Tonyhax International
3) Boot the backup in GSLITE

Because Tonyhax International unlocks the drive for USA/PAL consoles, it can be used in the way above correctly.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, I've got a fairly dark sense of humor lol.