Gaming Friend's graphic card sounds like its dying but only in one game?

Tizm

JESSE, WE GOT TO COOK!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so my friends graphics card a gtx 1050 seems to have weird colours while playing the new star wars battlefront 2, any one know if this is a sign of a dying graphics card or a broken game?
48921839_1986440214985908_7981811246301184000_n.jpg

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know from my own personal experience, I have a GTX 750 Ti that was getting very small white/black splotches when hardware accelerated decoding of videos. I ended up opening up the shroud, dusting it out thoroughly, and reapplying some thermal compound. So, I wouldn't presume it's dying necessarily, but it may need cleaned. But like TotalInsanity4 says, you could look at the driver version and revert it first to see if that helps.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know from my own personal experience, I have a GTX 750 Ti that was getting very small white/black splotches when hardware accelerated decoding of videos. I ended up opening up the shroud, dusting it out thoroughly, and reapplying some thermal compound. So, I wouldn't presume it's dying necessarily, but it may need cleaned. But like TotalInsanity4 says, you could look at the driver version and revert it first to see if that helps.
Overheating is a possibility, especially if this is the most intensive game the friend is playing. I don't know that the thermal compound would necessarily need to be replaced yet, but hitting the card with a can of compressed air might not be a bad idea

Another thing you could try is bumping down the core clock speed and/or voltage and seeing if that leads to a better image. You'd get worse performance but potentially better stability. If you find that works (and assuming NVidia Control Panel supports this, I've been spoiled by Wattman), use those settings in a per-game profile

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know that the thermal compound would necessarily need to be replaced yet, but hitting the card with a can of compressed air might not be a bad idea

The only reason I did it was the heatsink/fan was loaded with dust, so it seemed better to remove those. IIRC, they may have also been connected to the shroud--I have hard time recalling. So, at that point just putting the heatsink back on would probably cause air bubbles to be caught betweenthe thermal compound on the heatsink and the GPU. If he can get the shroud off without removing the heatsink or if some compressed air blows out enough dust to not even remove the shroud, yea that'd be great. I just went the full course because there's just lots of cats here and that seems to mean lots of dust. :)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton