Gaming Game updates without system updates?

alexh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if you can install game updates without connecting to PS Network and updating to the latest system update?

I'm playing Immortals Fenyx Rising but the version in the disc has issues with VSync & tearing.

Id like to update the game without updating the system, is that possible? Download using an app and install via USB?

I suspect not but I thought I'd ask.

alexh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How about if you select "don't download system updates" in the PS5 menu, if you go online do game updates still download? Or are they disabled if a newer system update exists?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
No, you'll be asked to update the system firmware first before you're allowed to download any game updates. It's also likely that, for some games, any update that comes after a moderate/major firmware update will be signed with new keys, so you wouldn't be able to play the game regardless without updating.

There's just no way to get around staying on a low firmware if you also want to play games and keep them updated.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's Sony's way making sure that your system is always on current firmware to prevent future jailbreaks. Now do you NEED to update your game will depend on what the update have to offer such as stability or extra content. The only thing that worries me about these game updates are the system servers 10 to 20 years from now if they shut off the online servers for PS4-PS5 I guess you're going to have to play the base game without updates.

This is why I prefer a game with as many few updates as possible because you never know what the future holds. Let's not forget games like Destiny that you always need to be online to play it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just remember if you melt someone might drink you lol