GCN GAMEBOY PLAYER - GBI and Swiss Question

ukshaun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

Just followed this tutorial below about running the Zelda save hack exploit to boot into the Gameboy Interface (gbi) and it worked.

I would like to get the Swiss software and Gameboy Interface running together. Is it possible to run the Swiss software via the Zelda save hack exploit and then boot this Gameboy Interface via the following SD Memory Card Converter Adapter (link below) on my my non-chipped/modded console?

Thank you

Tutorial Link -

SD Memory Card Converter Adapter Link -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/990B-9C0...h=item1a6e7d09b5:g:hOgAAOSwtutcLtDM:rk:1:pf:0

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
yeah its possible to boot swiss and launch the GBI interface in swiss
you place swiss as the boot.dol in the memory card
swiss is a multi tool, but mostly is a launcher program to launch games and homebrews including the GBI
if you place the gbi files in the same sd card you can use swiss to launch the GBI

the memory card adapter doesn't make a difference, its just a physical adapter

PS: as explained in the wind waker git hub https://github.com/FIX94/ww-hack-gc
the exploit will launch a boot.dol file in the sd card, doesn't matter if its GBI swiss or other homebrew

Last edited by migles,

ukshaun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah its possible to boot swiss and launch the GBI interface in swiss
you place swiss as the boot.dol in the memory card
swiss is a multi tool, but mostly is a launcher program to launch games and homebrews including the GBI
if you place the gbi files in the same sd card you can use swiss to launch the GBI

the memory card adapter doesn't make a difference, its just a physical adapter

PS: as explained in the wind waker git hub https://github.com/FIX94/ww-hack-gc
the exploit will launch a boot.dol file in the sd card, doesn't matter if its GBI swiss or other homebrew

Thank you, migles for the reply and the great answer. It's much appreciated.

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA

ukshaun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It is as @migles said. Also if you don't want to buy a memory card adapter and have multiple memory cards you could in theory make one just for GBI, but that'd be kind of silly.

Cheers for the reply. True what you say. I just ordered the following from China. Super cheap.

[URL='https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/990B-9C02-SD-Memory-Card-Converter-Adapter-For-Nintendo-Wii-NGC-GameCube-Console/113522837941?epid=26026775424&hash=item1a6e7d09b5:g:hOgAAOSwtutcLtDM:rk:1:Pf:0']https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/990B-9C0...h=item1a6e7d09b5:g:hOgAAOSwtutcLtDM:rk:1:Pf:0[/URL]

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China

ukshaun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah it's a cool price, the adapters are similair to the micro to sd adapters, its just a physical connector

if you need more help or have more questions i can try to answer
i also own a gamecube and love it

Yes I was surprised by how cheap they are. Just waiting on the Gameboy player itself from Japan, and of course the sd adapter from China to arrive to me here in the UK. Thank you once again @migles. I'll let you know if I run into any problems when they arrive. Much appreciated.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is as @migles said. Also if you don't want to buy a memory card adapter and have multiple memory cards you could in theory make one just for GBI, but that'd be kind of silly.

I'd mentioned that, AFAIK, Swiss can't read off memory cards. So, if you want to use Swiss for forcing disc settings and the like, you can do that. Odds are good you'd want the memory card adapter, though, to run homebrew and the like.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'd mentioned that, AFAIK, Swiss can't read off memory cards. So, if you want to use Swiss for forcing disc settings and the like, you can do that. Odds are good you'd want the memory card adapter, though, to run homebrew and the like.
swiss does read games (iso games) of sd cards inserted in a sd adapter like the one he bought.
not sure what you are really saying..

PS: I don't remember if the BOOT.DOL (launched trough wind waker hack) must be in the gamecube memory card, or the SD card.
I think it must go into the NGC memory card, but either way you can use swiss to load GBI from the sd card. the only issue is that swiss takes a portion of space of a NGC memory card

Last edited by migles,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
swiss does read games (iso games) of sd cards inserted in a sd adapter like the one he bought.
not sure what you are really saying..

Um, WiiHomebrew+Snes was talking about not getting an sd adapter and using multiple NGC memory cards.

PS: I don't remember if the BOOT.DOL (launched trough wind waker hack) must be in the gamecube memory card, or the SD card.
I think it must go into the NGC memory card, but either way you can use swiss to load GBI from the sd card. the only issue is that it takes a portion of space of a NGC memory card

The boot.dol is converted to a GCI file (both swiss and gbi include both dol and gci versions for which every way you want to/can launch them) and must be on the gamecube memory card as part of the ww hack exploit chain (or any of the other save game exploit chains if you're using those). And yea, Swiss is like ~1MB so takes up a sizable chunk of a NGC memory card which is quite the trade-off. :/ Still, I personally prefer it because it's easier to update or fiddle with cli/dcp settings for GBI.

Reactions: migles

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Member of GBAtemp's shadow district
Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States
Yes, If you just wanted to use some homebrew or only burn backups you could technically not have to use an SD card adapter, but there's really no reason not to. Also, I believe there are forwarders that will let you just load a boot.dol off the SD card that might be smaller than swiss but I'm not sure.

Doritobob269

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a gamecube memory card and I can successfully load swiss's boot.dol and gbi's boot.dol independently, but I have no way of loading them both together. I have another thread that describes my situation more, but to summarize, I am using the wind waker hack to load a boot.dol from the memory card by using gcmm on my homebrewed wii. I just need a way to rename gbi's boot.dol file to something else so both swiss dol and gbi's dol can be on the same memory card. I'm just trying to avoid purchasing an action replay, sdcard memory, another memory card, or burn swiss to a disc. Thank you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one