GCN GameCube HDMI

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I am just looking for some advice in regards to playing my GameCube with an HDMI convertor, as my TV only has HDMI ports I am unable to use scart or component.

What is the best product to go for in regards to either keeping the same visual quality or maybe improving the visual quality.

I have just purchased the Kaico HDMI Adaptor and product images claim slight improvement to visual quality but image quality is terrible.

Tried on my N64 & it barely works, either saying no display or will flicker or reboot console, if it does work everything is too bright and also has ghosting & screen size stretched larger than display (N64/GC).

Product also gets rather hot considering its low power consumption.

I thought for the Cube i would buy a branded product rather than a cheap china cable like I did for my PS2, yet my PS2 display looks pretty much as good as it would using the component cable.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This gets fun.

Short version. You will probably be told to buy a Wii U and figure out how to get things working there. If you had component options then the Wii becomes a better choice (hope you don't want a GB player https://www.retrorgb.com/gameboyinterface.html https://gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface ) as its component is easy enough (usually the main problem being cheap cables come with cheap shielding).
Beyond that. The best will come from the digital side of things, which is not PAL (you mentioned SCART but your flag says US so don't know) and mostly earlier models if memory serves.
For the digital video side of things you have two main approaches.
You find some exceptionally rare and hard to come by digital video component cables and chain that with something that spits out suitable HDMI. They were hard to get at the time and nobody really had a TV that supported it so few were sold, they also use active components to modify signals within the cable (compared to something like the xbox where it was just another pin on the port) which also means the custom cables set did not do much.
In more recent times then there were efforts to make third party cables here, some with HDMI out of the box. They are just about on the market but also waiting on some, and parts shortages trouble things here as well. Also quite on the pricey side of things.

If continuing with composite (yellow cable and separate audio) then you get to play with various boxes. The standalone ones will likely not be very good (I loved my VGA box as they were once known but I still rocked a 4:3 screen) and also hope you don't want to get too fancy with the 60Hz stuff (though that is mostly a PAL thing -- most PAL screens would do 60Hz since the late 80s but game devs still opted for 50Hz until about the GC generation, and even then it was mostly an option) so you then get to look into the big boy toys (with big boy prices). RetroTINK and Framemeister being older now but still good.
At this point you would be forgiven for going round yard sales, charity shops/thrift shops, dumps and more besides to find an old CRT and get that going on instead. However as we are now many years from the end of CRTs and nice panels that replaced them, and even more into this retro games boom..... yeah good luck on that one.

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Hi,

I am just looking for some advice in regards to playing my GameCube with an HDMI convertor, as my TV only has HDMI ports I am unable to use scart or component.

What is the best product to go for in regards to either keeping the same visual quality or maybe improving the visual quality.

I have just purchased the Kaico HDMI Adaptor and product images claim slight improvement to visual quality but image quality is terrible.

Tried on my N64 & it barely works, either saying no display or will flicker or reboot console, if it does work everything is too bright and also has ghosting & screen size stretched larger than display (N64/GC).

Product also gets rather hot considering its low power consumption.

I thought for the Cube i would buy a branded product rather than a cheap china cable like I did for my PS2, yet my PS2 display looks pretty much as good as it would using the component cable.
does your Gamecube have digital out ?

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Yea, I was looking at them after getting this cable and wondered if they were better or not as theyre not cheap.

Not sure if they would do the same and make it look really bright.
well if you want 480p you need an adapter that plugs to the digital out i recommend the Retro-Bit Prism HDMI Adapter for GameCube

61uCVpAK+RL._SL1500_.jpg

The Kaiko cable that you got is for the AV out and that will never look good on a modern tv. the fact that it can also be use on the N64 tells you how poop it is.

If your going to play on Gamecube you need something that plugs into the digital out

Reactions: Spider_Man

Spider_Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well if you want 480p you need an adapter that plugs to the digital out i recommend the Retro-Bit Prism HDMI Adapter for GameCube

View attachment 308421

The Kaiko cable that you got is for the AV out and that will never look good on a modern tv. the fact that it can also be use on the N64 tells you how poop it is.

If your going to play on Gamecube you need something that plugs into the digital out
Thanks, I'll look at getting this.

The kaico one seems ok for the n64, when it decides to work.

I dont get why its so bright when my old TV displayed them fine via its scart ports.

You'd think all the convertors do is change the video out from scart to hdmi.

Id go down the emulation path but for some reason my TV won't let me cast my laptop to the TV over my network as a secondary display, windows 10 refuses to detect it.

I can install an app off playstore but the resolution is shit.

I dont see the point in having a Google TV and it not let you cast, my LG TV can.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    cearp @ cearp: It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space +1