Gamers are "ready" for $70 games, says Take-Two CEO

2020-07-02-image-40.jpg

The latest gaming generation has introduced a number of features, but with all the new and shiny things comes a higher price tag. Some AAA game publishers have used this new generation as a springboard to increase the prices of games from $60 to $70. One of the companies leading the charge is Take-Two, who released NBA 2K21 for $70 on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. During a conference call that took place earlier this week, Take-Two's CEO Strauss Zelnick reiterated the point of the price increase for major games going forward, saying, "our review was that we're offering an array of extraordinary experiences, lots of replayability, and the last time there was a frontline price increase in the US was 2005/2006, so we think consumers were ready for it."

While Take-Two seems to think that players are ready to accept the new MSRP for games, he also mentioned that the $70 price point won't apply to all future games published by the studio, as they plan to, "make announcements on a title-by-title basis" and that they "want to always deliver more value than what [they] charge."

:arrow: Source: Morgan Stanley Technology Media & Telecom Conference (transcribed by VGC)

CTR640

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Didn't Sony start this shit? And yeah, you gotta be a big time fanboy/girl if you pay €70 for a sports game.
Why do people buys them at full price? Is it because of the real names of the players? I had PES and FIFA back in 2010-2013 and while the games were fun, it starts to get boring after a short time.

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you completely remove any lootbox mechanics and micro transactions, and make a great quality game with lots of love and replay value, then yes by all means charge 70$ for it. It is still a very expensive price, but in that case the decision could be tolerated.
Pricing for indie games has been pretty competitive, and there are some excellent quality games out there.
Terraria - 10$, Stardew Valley - 15$, Hollow Knight - 15$.
In comparison, it is really hard to justify 70$.

Reactions: Veho

ratamahatta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Prices are pretty bad in Australia regardless, but 2K games have always been the worst. Even pre ps5/xsx launch the latest 2K games were approaching what would convert to ~$90US, now they're approaching $100. I guess some people buy them but at the moment everyone I know with a ps5 are just still playing their ps4 games, part because of the current catalogue, part because of the prices.
I'm sure the companies and stores blame the lack of available consoles rather than their ridiculous prices though..

Edit: Godfall Ascension edition approaching $150US

Attachments

• IMG_20210311_092946.jpg
    IMG_20210311_092946.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited by ratamahatta,

MightyJAK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was ready for $70 games back in 1995... when I payed over $80 for Chrono Trigger (a week before it officially released). Worth every penny.

Paying that much for a sports game in 2021? jonahjamesonlaughing.gif

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know where they got tjat info, heh ready? NEVER (for me)! because that'll be €70 or more for me! Insanity if you ask me I know they've nerve to fo this with their current "let's release an unfinished game" & let people buy dlc attitude as some/many fans just buy 2ith some games.

I guess they never wondered why pricewatch & budgetgaming sites exist? You think a smart gamer after spending much to buy gaming equipment/devices wouldn't mind expensive games, even if I was rich & could afford it I wouldn't buy @€70, that's a freaking LE/CE for some games. Call ne old & a cheapskate, but I already feel current games are a bit OP (not all) for what you get.

Last edited by Angely,

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
CrackWatch is one of my most favorite gaming related websites (right after GBATemp). I'm so fucking ready, Strauss.

Last edited by tpax,

cashboxz01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just looked into it. The guy is 63 and wrapping up for retirement. He's gonna loot all he can in his last year or 2, and doesn't give a flying buck what happens after he's out.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That shit should be free
$20 is a fair price for a sports game at launch. For the most part, they're the same year after year, until a new generation. Resale is also a complete loss. If they're going to charge like $50, they should just include updates for the console generation, and call it NBA2kPS5 or something. $70 is a just no. That's why people pirate.

D

Deleted User

IJCs6D.jpg

Suspicious Among Us
Because Madden 21 is truly a high-quality experience. I also find it hilarious that there is an image of a spaceman in future space armor under "buy me now," photo-realistic cover art of sports games.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital products are the inverse of supply-and-demand. The more demand there is for downloads, the less you can charge (sparking more sales) and still turn a huge profit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Noooo, If I wake up, I'll get a woody