Games industry votes Apple as biggest influence

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
I think a lot of the apple haters on here need to seriously shove it and look at this through a more broad perspective. The iDevices have bought gaming into the hands of people who would never have even thought about gaming before, even my grandma likes the occasional angry birds or cut the rope. it's so simple, its a quick fix of gaming and it works. Those other guys have innovated too, and personally I feel Newell and Miyamoto should be higher up, but I'm arguing the whole 'Durhurhur Apple sucks, iDevice games suck derpderpderp' vibe.

There's a lot of supposedly *hardcore* people here, gaming doesn't just exist for you, it exists for everyone, like any other hobby/passion eg. film making, basketball, baseball etc.

And a lot of the 'overpriced' complainers are usually kids, adults don't actually mind to sometimes splash out the extra money for an incredibly sexy piece of tech. Especially adults who work in the design industry. Granted that Alienware's high end laptops (using it as an example because it's about the same price as an Macbook Pro) are INCREDIBLY nice, there's something about Apple products that make them have the wow factor that your everyday adult, tech savvy child or industry folk just love.

[Written by an Animation Degree student who has worked with nothing but Macs for years now on his Macbook Pro.]

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sniper: Ghost Warrior sold 1 million copies, even though it got horrible reviews. Sales don't tell us anything about the quality of a product.
I'm not SAYING that the sales say it's good. I'm saying that it's not going to sell if everyone in the world thinks it's shit, so clearly, it's good to some people. Like I said, people like different things. Just because you hate it, doesn't mean someone else will actually like it (Not just mindless sheep, which is honestly the dumbest argument all the CoD, iPod, or whatever haters use). People DO buy things because they don't exactly know better, but people ALSO buy things because they like it. Who are you to tell someone what they can and can't like?
Well most people who bought Sniper: Ghost Warrior just bought it for the cool name and the shooter person on the cover, not because they had a lot of fun with the game.

I never said that Call of Duty is a bad franchise. The new games are not nearly as good as the reviews claim they are, but they are still pretty solid titles.
However the franchise is also a prime example for a lot of thing, wrong with todays gaming industry, that's why they often get used as examples.
Think about it this way, for years the best game you'd ever find on a mobile phone would be Snake. Then Apple come along and throw a proper development kit, as well as an application distribution system at a brand new popular phone, which doesn't require a degree in computer science to operate. Bam, instant success. Others tried, and failed both before and afterwards.
You really think Snake was the best game for mobile phones, before the iPhone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMwbkX9tch0

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Steve Jobs did absolutely 0 for the gaming industry. Indie developers were what should have been mentioned. Just because his company made the device, made the app store, and advertises the games doesn't mean Steve Jobs should get all the credit. All Apple products are overpriced. Simple as that. Sure, they can be used for many different things but that still doesn't make it worth the price tag. My $200 android phone does everything an iPhone 4S can and, quite simply, more. My $400 PC does more than a $1200 Mac Pro desktop. Why? Can someone answer me that? Why does my PC cost 3 times as less than the Mac equivalent?

Enough of the Apple hate.Quite simply Shigeru should have been at the top. He saved the gaming industry! If it weren't for him, chances are we wouldn't have most if not all of the games, consoles, devices we do today. How is that not influential? And what about Gabe? He basically reinvented the entire concept of digital distribution! How is his accomplishments not considered to be more influential? Tim Berners-Lee created the fucking internet for gods sake, the source of so much information, opinion, entertainment, hate, inspiration! It's something a high percentage of us do every single day! Quite frankly, Steve Jobs death is the only reason he is so high on the list.

LET THE APPLE BUTTHURT BEGIN!

Reactions: 3 people

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't really trust the Apple news right now. Job dies and suddenly he becomes a god in many's foolish eyes. Everything connected to him gets blown out of proportion. Same thing happened when Crazy Pedio Jackson died.

kosheh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sir i think you made a little mistake there
>Shigeru Miyamoto
>Single handedly reinvents and refines console gaming
>7%

if we're gonna get into nerd talk here, the magnavox odyssey was the first console game system, with interchangable cartridges.
later on came the atari, but atari only made video games A Thing until the videogame market crash in the 80's (and that's where that story of the landfill full of ET cartridges comes from)
then miyamoto was like "yo. check this out. nintendo" and then, console gaming was reinvented

also those results aren't skewed. no. not at all
though they are talking about biggest influence, not biggest actual contributions. somehow, Steve Jobs managed to make one of the most advanced (not to mention structured) smartphone devices that was comparatively easy to develop applications for (as opposed to say, Verizon with their own proprietary baby code "BREW"), and it's much more possible for a person to write up a Cool Game. when thinking about the results in that regard, even mark zuckerberg's presence on the poll makes sense.

though i'm like the rest of you and was hoping miyamoto or gabe would be on top >:

ChaosZero816

Temp's Official Random Member
Trophies
XP
Country
I facepalm so hard when I read this.

Steve Jobs did have a great impact on the world. But on gaming?? This is just a survey on some people who were probably high, trolling, sick or whatever excuse they have so let's not all rally against this.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phones already had games on them so ??o.O If anything the devs should get credit not Steve haha

D

Deleted_171835

Considering that they're referring to the videogame industry as a whole, I think this is pretty silly. While Apple did revamp mobile-phone industry, they most certainly were not the biggest influence. Nintendo brought motion-controls, touch-screen gaming and casual gaming (to an extent). Valve made digital distribution of games easy and convenient. Apple brought us a good mobile platform for casual games but that's about it. Although the fact that Mark Zuckerberg is on the list at all proves that these so-called industry experts are just full of horseshit.

Reactions: 1 person

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
This must be a joke..

What did Apple do? Angry Birds? I'm pretty sure that was Rovio. Apple just made an app store, that doesn't necessarily mean games. All Apple did was create a platform for selling apps. That's all they contributed to the "gaming industry".

And what does Facebook/Marc Zuckerberg have to do with gaming? Since when were cheap flash games considered influential at all, gaming-wise?

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: To ensure Florida is the freest state in the country, we will ban colors.