Games that should have just been a video instead.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think this thread is the very same thing as those people dissing books by saying "I'll wait for the movie".

Truth is that (comic) books, video and games (among others) are types of medium. Changing from one to another can be easy or hard, but even the easiest transition is perceived DIFFERENT because of the way the medium presents the narrative to the audience. And of course there's the obvious: it's not because someone can make a good game that they have the means, knowhow, ambition or the vision to make a video of it.

...and I assume this is all pretty vague. Let's get some examples in here, myah? :)

-The walking dead. I've read a lot of the comics, a couple of the series and the first season of telltale's one had me almost crying. The differences in how much I wanted of it isn't in the lore or narrative (while different, they have the same mood and idea going), but in the matter of investment on my end. When I watch the series, I see people doing things, but I just couldn't bring myself to really care about the protagonist or anyone else. The comics had me interested because the black-and-white pictures with sharp dialogues made me care about the world. However, the telltale game made me care about the protagonists from almost the get-go. Even if those first choices mean jack shit (I totally forgot what I had my character say to that agent who was driving him), I didn't knew it at THAT point...so in choosing an answer, it was more MY persona than anything.

-gone home. Or most other walking simulators. While this all can be done through film, the very fact you have to read and listen to voices of things makes you invested. Any seasoned film maker can tell you that a movie in which the protagonist does nothing but open letters and hold them to the screen is going to be boring as hell. Also: what you show and don't show matters a lot in a movie (see also: alien or jaws). This game would never be as captivating if you could actually SEE the characters. The very fact that this game goes around this establishes the player himself as part of the story.

-song of saya: my example of a graphic novel. This same goes for 999 or (I guess) Ace Attorney, but Saya is interesting in that it has but 2 or 3 choices to make throughout the game. Meaning: a novel far, far more than a game. Nonetheless, the fact that you have to make these choices (and they directly reflect the changes) justify the reason of it to be a game by itself. :)

As for games that should have been I'm interested about when talking about a hypothetical movie:
-999. I admit I have NO IDEA how to make this a movie or a series, but I'm interested. A lot. :)
-firewatch: yeah...I know this one gets one. And I'm more interested to see how this turns out than that tetris movie (my guess: better)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about videos that should have been games? :arrow: Danganronpa 3.
Make a thread about it. :mellow:

SEPPUKUMA!!!!:blink:

I think this thread is the very same thing as those people dissing books by saying "I'll wait for the movie".
This is meant to be discussion, not " dissing" :P
The idea is that some, just some people feel that maybe while classified as a game, it didn't have to be. Now fact is while these pieces of media exist, we do enjoy them, but the idea is would have been enjoyed more or better not classified as a game but as video. Like someone already said, dragon's lair is literally a movie with very minor gameplay. Would you rather stand there in a arcade getting your coins eaten losing tons of money trying to get to the end of the game which is all about you using proper timing of input to advance the story, or just watch it as a video to see how it ends. That what this is about.

Dragon's lair is a hard game but only being trial and error, but also fun to play and perrhaps satisifying to get through the story, as with many games like this some like the graphic novel games has bear minimal user interaction but satisfying to play. The point i was making is some games actually focus more on story than user interaction and game play, where you are watching cutscenes for longer than maybe 20 mins instead of playing the game. Reading text after text until you realize "Oh, finally a save point, wait what time is it? That seem long, How long was i watching that?"

Again, is a game, we like it, we play it, nothing wrong with it, but is a opinion based discussion. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.