GameStop has laid off over 100 people; 14% of their associate base cut to "optimize business"

vwIdL9cZ_400x400.png

GameStop has been on shaky ground for the past few years, with a lack of innovations and failure to gauge the market slowly leading the company towards the same fate as Blockbuster and Toys 'R Us. Back in July, we saw that GameStop would be renovating a handful of its remaining stores in an attempt to get more people invested in shopping at GameStop regularly. As the company continues to try to stay relevant, more changes have been happening in the background, leading to the laying off of over 100 workers at the retail chain. On Tuesday, GameStop announced that 14% of its associate base, along with half of Game Informer's staff, had been laid off without warning. Earlier this month, GameStop also laid off many of its regional managers, HR dept, and district leaders.

While these changes are difficult, they were necessary to reduce costs and better align the organization with our efforts to optimize the business to meet our future objectives and success factors. We recognize that this is a difficult day for our company and particularly for those associates impacted. We appreciate their dedication and service to GameStop and are committed to supporting them during this time of transition.

:arrow: Source

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
♫ Digital killed the Physical star ♫
♫ Digital killed the Physical star ♫
♫ Lootboxes came and broke your heart ♫
Oh, a, a, a, oh ...

MasterZoilus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit, I can't believe some people here are talking about how it would be bad for gamestop to go away because you can buy physical used games there!
Why? ummmm ebay and amazon? in the last 10 yrs ALL of my physical I've purchased have been used, ALL have come from either ebay or amazon. Not only are they
LESS than GS and in many A LOT less, but you can always find them in stock! Plus 95% of the time there's no tax or shipping and when there is ...they're still cheaper! Of course if
you chose to be dumb and buy a more expensive one from a seller, that's on you, but plenty of high rated sellers with discs in very good to mint condition.

GS was/is poorly managed, didn't keep up with the times and that whole "we're firing people to be more IN-line and efficient with our goals....blah blah" is a bunch of BS, that's what ALL companies getting ready to file chapter 13 do and say. The execs do this just to maximize whatever profits they can, so they can keep collecting paychecks and bonuses until the last door closes. But firing all these people will do nothing but put a strain on the ones who remain as now they have to take on THOSE ex-employee's work loads and it'll just make service/products even worse.

Last edited by MasterZoilus,

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sucks, even though I prefer to buy all my fighting games digital, the prices on their used physical games are usually the best. Amazon is straight scamming people now that they've been conditioned to think it's cheaper. I see a bunch of "cheap gamer" twitter accounts advertising online deals that are a joke compared to GS prices.

Of course that's probably why they're not doing too well now, can't stay competitive with lower prices alone.

Reactions: LoganK93

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0