Hacking Gateway 3DS working on the New Nintendo 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What's a good website to order the PAL one from then, since it will be in english?
As phantom_user said, they are expensive. If I were you, I'd buy a Japanese one since you only need it for playing retail cartridges as you mentioned, unless you also want to buy eShop games as well which would require either a Japanese balance card or conversion from Dollars to Yen with your Credit/Debit/Pre-paid card.
Phew, this thread's been gaining a lot of steam. Curiously, with the video now out, a lot of the answers aren't speculation but.. Taxes? Imports? Resellers for both Gateways and N3DS's ? Lol.

Oh well. Glad to see this is so lively. I have no idea how to speculate further as I now just patiently await. Hope they don't take too long!

By the way, I asked them about the blue card, if they'd update it to play DS Roms somehow and.. They haven't answered me back .. Hmm ..
Speculate on emuNAND ;)

Reactions: Phantom_User

joseph0042

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As phantom_user said, they are expensive. If I were you, I'd buy a Japanese one since you only need it for playing retail cartridges as you mentioned.

Speculate on emunand ;)

I saw a different user reference fishpond.co.uk to import. They have the new 3ds xl for 244 with free shipping. Anyone used them before?

jimwhat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw a different user reference fishpond.co.uk to import. They have the new 3ds xl for 244 with free shipping. Anyone used them before?

$244 seems like a rip off. Some other people have posted a couple of cheaper sites on the earlier pages (~7-10).

Anyway, a lot of people have been talking about sysNAND and emuNAND in this thread. Would anyone be able to ELI5 the two?

Reactions: blazeout123

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None that I'm aware of.
Maybe they will surprise the US audience with a Christmas release.
But, thinking logically, they'll most likely release it mid 2015 with a new firmware. So if you want an N3DS, import one.

Yeah, no way it's out before some time in 2015.

It's too late now for a Christmas release, if they were doing that it would have to have come out in late November (why do you think this is when most systems now get released then? For Christmas sales).

And the last system to get a "surprise" release in the US was Saturn, and I think we all know how well that went. They'll announce the release a decent amount of time before the actual date.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
$244 seems like a rip off. Some other people have posted a couple of cheaper sites on the earlier pages (~7-10).

Anyway, a lot of people have been talking about sysNAND and emuNAND in this thread. Would anyone be able to ELI5 the two?
sysNAND is basically the chip on your 3DS that stores the OS AKA firmware.
But, if Nintendo pushes an update, you most likely want to have the latest firmware from Nintendo because it has support for multiplayer, eShop etc.
However, updating your 3DS will break your Gateway and throwing 60 euros in the bin, so you are stuck on old firmware.
That's where emuNAND comes into play.
emuNAND basically splits the SD card of the 3DS (The one that goes in the side of the system or under in N3DS) into 2 partitions.
The first partition is for normal use, and the second partition actually stores a firmware.
What this allows you to do is run the latest firmware, while keeping the old firmware.
Basically you are running the firmware from the SD card rather than the on-board chip, which allows you to have "2 3DSes in one"
So, you have one storage (the onboard chip) for sysNAND, and the other memory (the SD card) to run emuNAND.
Please reply if you have any questions.

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
Speculate on emuNAND ;)
I could try, but it's not really my beach, y'know? I've never owned a Gateway, never performed or saw first-hand any type of EmuNAND and I haven't read enough about it to go ahead and say: YA'LL SAW THAT VID IT SHOWS NUFFIN' YE' HEAR? NUFFIN'.

I'd rather slip quietly by being ignorant than being a loud buffoon. ^^,

jimwhat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really a rip off seeing as the normal retail prices for the XL in Aus is $249 :(

So $244 is a tiny bit better haha

Whoops I was actually comparing it to the JAP versions, which come out to be a lot cheaper.

But $244 USD comes out to be $286 AUD though, when comparing the Australian price and the price on the website. So, it is still a bit more expensive, but not bad. Sorry about that joseph.

Edit: For comparison, you can get the Japanese 3ds LL for ~$180 USD. But I guess $244 USD isn't too bad of a price for the Australian version.

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Alright!

The 3ds is a computer. It is a small, not very powerful computer, but it is a computer nonetheless. Almost all computers have a default program they run on start-up, called the operating system, or OS. The 3DS has a chip with a capacity of One Gigabyte that stores internal data. This is called the NAND. (I'm not sure what that stands for, but whatever). On this chip, the OS is stored. For the 3ds, this is the home menu and other basic functionality.

Now, on version 4.X when Gateway executes their kernel exploit, they reboot the system to a higher version. There isn't enough space on the original NAND chip to store both the 4.5 version of the OS and the X.X version of the OS, so they make a copy of the nand and place it on the SD card. When Gateway reboots, they redirect all calls to the 3DS's NAND storage to the SD card, so the 3ds acts like a part of the SD card is in fact the NAND chip. Gateway and this community call this copy of the NAND emuNAND. To tell the difference between this and the NAND on the actual system, they call the stock NAND sysNAND.

I might be wrong on a few minor points there, so feel free to correct me.

Hope that helps!

jimwhat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright!

The 3ds is a computer. It is a small, not very powerful computer, but it is a computer nonetheless. Almost all computers have a default program they run on start-up, called the operating system, or OS. The 3DS has a chip with a capacity of One Gigabyte that stores internal data. This is called the NAND. (I'm not sure what that stands for, but whatever). On this chip, the OS is stored. For the 3ds, this is the home menu and other basic functionality.

Now, on version 4.X when Gateway executes their kernel exploit, they reboot the system to a higher version. There isn't enough space on the original NAND chip to store both the 4.5 version of the OS and the X.X version of the OS, so they make a copy of the nand and place it on the SD card. When Gateway reboots, they redirect all calls to the 3DS's NAND storage to the SD card, so the 3ds acts like a part of the SD card is in fact the NAND chip. Gateway and this community call this copy of the NAND emuNAND. To tell the difference between this and the NAND on the actual system, they call the stock NAND sysNAND.

I might be wrong on a few minor points there, so feel free to correct me.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for this!

Reactions: ferofax

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Have you guys noticed how the menu skips to the Mii Channel after the woman(?, lets just say the attractive hands) puts the cartridge in the slot? This is pretty weird maybe it has something to do with the new entry point?

Reactions: Phantom_User

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Have you guys noticed how the menu skips to the Mii Channel after the woman(?, lets just say the attractive hands) puts the cartridge in the slot? This is pretty weird maybe it has something to do with the new entry point?
I wouldn't be surprised if it actually had a bug in the Mii maker with QR codes and such, but most people take it that she/he accidentally pressed on the ZR button, which skips the menu a few apps.

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country

It has been theorized that she pressed ZR by accident. Pressing that will move you 3 spaces to the right.

Edit: Just rewatched the video. Her hand twitches as the icon moves towards the Mii Maker. It's definitly that.

Legit Question: Gateway should do more videos with a kickass techno song like that. It actually made the features look all the more amazing lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I had a brown ops log in the shitter