Hacking Gateway update regarding rumors

temp1312

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, Let's shelve the argument of "moral behavior or not" for now and agian, let's just focus on one thing:

Is that 100% safe to use a GW card with unmodified launcher?

Here are two instances from GW bricking reports:

1) BSOD after using Data Management in EmuNAND
http://gbatemp.net/threads/bricked-3ds-xl-help.360464/

2) BSOD after couple hours of sleep mode
http://bbs.tgbus.com/thread-5360192-1-1.html
*As far as I know, the sleep mode bricking thing even happens with retail cards, but the difference is, sleep mode brick usualy causes a "semi-brick": can boot, can show the poweroff screen, but can't play games etc. not a BSOD.

So my question is:

What code have instances above triggered? GW bricker code? Native OS code??
(If there is no bricker code at all will they still get bricked??)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well considering the "bricker code" is apparently meant to hit upon leaving system settings I would assume neither of those are related.....unless the first got hit after using data management but when exiting system settings instead,

Idk too many rumours and speculation at this point I would tend to lean that gateway users are pretty much safe but couldn't say 100%

With any luck they don't use the methods in 2.0 final, I think they have proved their point now and assuming they update their fpga, and the clones can't I would assume 2.0 final would be fairly incompatible for them anyway

temp1312

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well considering the "bricker code" is apparently meant to hit upon leaving system settings I would assume neither of those are related.....unless the first got hit after using data management but when exiting system settings instead,

Idk too many rumours and speculation at this point I would tend to lean that gateway users are pretty much safe but couldn't say 100%

With any luck they don't use the methods in 2.0 final, I think they have proved their point now and assuming they update their fpga, and the clones can't I would assume 2.0 final would be fairly incompatible for them anyway

I hope that way too.
But someone said the clones would copy the hardware sooner or later so they might not remove those brickers...

Lunai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we were being smartasses, we'd assume Gateway meant that they would brick the clones when they said that the clones will brick over time.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States

They could have more than one bricking tactic implemented.

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
But if it is true that Gateway put in this kill code, then they must be pretty furious about the clones. There aren't an infinite number of 4.x units out there and every bricked unit is one less customer. Even if someone bought a competing product, that person is still a potential future customer. I myself went through three different DS flash cards because I saw a better product than my existing one.
Going as far as killing your own potential userbase in hopes of getting a few more sales looks like a desperation to me, and it's a very bad sign for those who stay on 5.x or 6.x hoping for GW to support these firmware versions.

Reactions: [Truth]

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well considering the "bricker code" is apparently meant to hit upon leaving system settings
You should realize that apart from the redirection, all the Gateway code isn't in memory after the "emunand" is booted. The brick actually happens when you boot the launcher.dat, but you REALIZE the console is bricked only when exiting system settings (because the console reloads the real nand's firmware -> which is bricked) or you shut it down and power it up again. If you stayed in emunand without doing those things, you might not realize you're bricked for a long time, actually XD

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
OK, Let's shelve the argument of "moral behavior or not" for now and agian, let's just focus on one thing:

*As far as I know, the sleep mode bricking thing even happens with retail cards, but the difference is, sleep mode brick usualy causes a "semi-brick": can boot, can show the poweroff screen, but can't play games etc. not a BSOD.

So my question is:

Well there's no way to know if the person in either case was using the region-free patch or some other modification. If not the case, we know that messing around with data management/settings in emuNAND can cause bricks simply as a bug in the beta firmware. The sysNAND does not recognize the changes made and you end up with memory leaks or worse. This isn't intentional or part of any bricking code.

temp1312

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there's no way to know if the person in either case was using the region-free patch or some other modification. If not the case, we know that messing around with data management/settings in emuNAND can cause bricks simply as a bug in the beta firmware. The sysNAND does not recognize the changes made and you end up with memory leaks or worse. This isn't intentional or part of any bricking code.

Thanks for your response.
Yeah, we can't confirm exactly what launcher they were using, but I tend to trust them because they are so confident and I don't think there are so many conspiracies around here.

I'm looking forward to their progress of repair, if they can fix the NAND by the normal hard mod way, it might not be the anti-clone bricker code.
After all the bootrom error has been existing long time ago, I hope they are caused by a NAND overwriting something.

A bomb is a bomb even if I was told it never blows up, just hope GW could remove them completely from their final release. There must be some other way to fight against clones.

Gerbilly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Having this code in their launcher would seem to indicate that Gateway believes that their 'superior' FPGA which 'the clones cannot copy' is not enough to make their product stand out from the competition. In other words perhaps it either can be copied or perhaps they cannot get their multirom working either and this is a last tactic to sell a few more of their product before they disappear?

To be honest, although I have two of their carts I will not buy Gateway again even if they do make a 'new, improved' model because of the harm they have done to others here. I just imagine how disappointed my own kids would be if this happened to them and I know I can never trust Gateway products or software again. It's ridiculous that the next time Gateway posts a new launcher that many users will wait to use it until it is tested by others because they don't trust their products anymore.

More and more Gateway is starting to look like a DS-Xtreme clone - promising the world but delivering far less.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

So my question is:

You forgot http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-ing-bricked-never-even-use-clones.360657

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So, let me see if i understand it correctly:

The Gateway team put some code in their firmware to brick consoles that used clones? CONSOLES? Not the flashkarts?

They should get sued to oblivion if that is the case...

PS:Good job Neimod and Yellow8, not only you are not preventing pirates by releasing your exploits, you are helping them getting rich and you allow them to become bold and brick consoles too...

Nice "ethics" you have there...

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The

The Gateway team put some code in their firmware to brick consoles that used clones? CONSOLES? Not the flashkarts?

PS:Good job Neimod and Yellow8, not only you are not preventing pirates by releasing your exploits, you are helping them getting rich and you allow them to become bold and brick consoles too...
Yep, that's the case.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
I call it karma.

What goes around, comes around.

Gateway 3DS is strictly for piracy. You are stealing from Nintendo.

Now the card is bricking the 3DS. Nintendo is stealing from you :P

I know this post probably isn't helpful to anyone, but in all honestly there should have been no card for the 3DS released until it was fully opened up, allowing for homebrew and the like.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nice "ethics" you have there...

So, sue a company for putting malicious code in a product intended for "illegal" activities? Yeah, that'll go real well in court, can't wait to hear the success stories and peoples sense of justice being served /sarcasm

Why hate on Neimod and Yellow8? They're just doing stuff that they have a passion for, don't try to pass the blame onto them because someone decided it'd be a great idea to brick the CONSOLES of clone gw users.. Heck, even if the GW team had just bricked the carts themselves, that would have still been wrong of them to do so; honestly, when a product like the Gateway comes out, there's going to be "competition" ripping off the people who "did it first." The way the GW team is reacting is childish, malicious, and goes way past the point of bad business; especially since there's some other type of screw up on their end bricking consoles of legit GW users that followed everything they said 100% accurately.

It's really stupid of you to act like Neimod and Yellow8 have horrible ethics due to the actions of someone else, it's not like they helped them brick consoles. There's going to be people researching various electronics and releasing documentation of exploits and exploits themselves, but you can't blame the researchers for the actions of those doing horrible things. Is Einstein completely evil and just as bad as Hitler because of the results of the Manhattan Project? People like you are the type to seem to believe that even people like Geohot is bad because of what eventually resulted from his work with people taking modified PS3s on PSN and cheating, even though he himself didn't add in the functionality for piracy to happen just from what he released.

Also, to the people defending GW, you're all idiots; however, to the even more crazy people out there claiming this is all a conspiracy by clone manufacturers, please get back on your medication or go see a Psychologist to get referred to a Psychiatrist so you can be put on the proper medication because if you're of the belief that this is just a conspiracy and the GW Team is the greatest people EVARRRRR it'll mean that you've gone full retard and quite possibly have some sort of neurological damage that has effected your cognitive abilities and behavior, meaning you need to be put in the nut house, AKA: The Fanboy Sanitarium

Reactions: Tiger21820

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Please stop spreading the myth of Neimod, the anti-piracy paragon of virtue. He catalyzed 3DS piracy virtually entirely on his own. I know it's not a popular thing to say on these forums, but it happens to be true.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA63mm5FnMo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flostmediawiki.com...