Hacking GBA Link on G6 Lite

muckers

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone managed to get this working as of yet?

I write something like Emerald to the cart, and then go to tick the GBA link box when writing Diamond or Pearl and there's no option to select the ROM from the list...

Does this feature not work as of yet, or is it something I'm doing wrong? I've not tampered with any of the ROMs or headers or anything...

If anyone can help/confirm it working that'd be great.
smile.gif

Thanks

IAmTheRad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You may not think it works but it does. However, if you have a save game of emerald it will not work because right now, the gbalink cannot read data from save games. The game will only read the data of the actual cart.

I've heard that GBA Link doesn't work with Pokemon (I have a complete game so I'll try to see if the pokemon carts unlock are also unlocked in the game)

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got most of the good gba carts like supercard cf/micro, m3 minisd, g6 lite. I also have an original bought copy of diamond.

The way I see it, if you manage to get the sav file in your SRAM of the slot2 card, probably restricted to the m3 or g6 instead of the supercard since that doesn't have battery backup, then run either a slot1 card or original cart, you can do the gba link with no problems.

If you don't have a slot 1 card like me, I'd suggest you just buy the game.; I know, it seems terrible to actually have to buy a game, but you get this little benefit AND did you know that only original carts work with pokemon battle revolution? You have to do download play to interact with PBR, and then it reads the file from your cart, which isnt possible with the current carts out there.

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let me know if that theory really works ceraphis....I was thinking that since the rom's save is modified you can not use the gba roms save with the original DS cart of pokemon....

LOL let me clearify

Rom versions of Pokemon Emerald, Leaf Green, Fire Red, ect can not connect to the GameCube games because the rom converts the save

So I would assume...that the DS will do the same? I hope I am wrong and your theory is right cause I would easily go buy the game if I can use my M3 or G6's GBA Save.

Again lemme know if your theory works!

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah unfortunately I haven't gotten anywhere near the pal park to try this theory out.
There's a couple things to remember too:

It was my impression that in order to retain like 100% or 99% or whatnot GBA compatibility, that when M3 in particular, possibly G6 too, uses gba saves, they were in their original format. Not necessarily the file that resides on the filesystem, but rather after some algorithm is applied the "patched" save is shoved into the SRAM as an unpatched legitimate save file. Again I don't know if this is anywhere close to the truth but I was under the impression that it was this factor that made M3/G6 so much better than supercard with GBA games in addition to the battery backed existing SRAM. Edit: This just made me think that this would both give a reason, sorta, for why all M3 saves are the same size (filesystem optimizing) and why it takes so seemingly long to copy saves in/out of the SRAM, because it isn't just transferring, but converting?

Also worth a try as soon as I get the Pal Park is injecting a non-m3 patched save into the m3 sram using some sort of cheap trick that wouldn't work for actually playing the game, but might work for letting the DS slot see it as a legit save.

Another possibility is using whatever utility I used to get the save off of my advance wars 2 legit cartridge onto my G6, to inject any number of cheap non-pokemon games (with same size/type SRAM) with any given GBA pokemon save to give you a one-trick pony GBA game that would act like a copy of pokemon.

Edit2: maybe the Gamecube games couldn't interact because the Rom itself was changed and in order to connect them, you had to be actually playing the game? I would suppose that the DS wouldn't access the Read-only rom but rather just the SRAM, meanwhile the Gamecube reads data that the gba game is programmed to output, which might have been changed or messed up with the patching?

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried to use the feature where having a pokemon GBA game inserted unlocks certain pokemon in the wild, using the G6 link function. It doesn't seem to be working. I think the game has to be recognized in the U-Disk manager as being capable of linkage before this will work. I tried going into My Card and hitting X to load the GBA rom before going into the DS rom and it didn't work. I was using Emerald and Diamond.

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prolly won't work until they code it into the rom patcher. anyone else have any luck with my theory? Still have yet to get that national pokedex

O.G

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll go buy the game today and test the theory if someone can hook me up with a NDS save.

Where in the game is the PalPark? What Hm's do I need?

Actually, you can use pal park once you have seen all 150 pokemon in the sinnoh dex which requires all the HM's. I'll pm you a supercard save with pal park.

bigboy85zz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does your save have any pokemon in it? if so, could i get a copy? ive obtained the national dex, and have the pal park available, but i cant get the gba link to work with it

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So far....no dice....do I have to be anywhere special in the GBA game? Game is beaten of course using Fire Red 1.1 (u) with the (U) version of Diamond. Moving my GBA character into a pokecenter know...any specifics on how to test this would be appreciated.

*edit
The DS lite blinks when the game boots....I assume its checking the GBA slot? Going off gamefaqs I see any pokemon with HMs cant be transfered so I had to remove the Pikachu with surf I busted my ass getting.

Currently I am trying to transfer over all legit caught pokemon which are:
Cyndaquil X2
Toadadile
Celibi
jarachi
and suicuine

(I had to take off Rayquaza cause it knew fly)

M3 Also does not work....

tc811

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does your Diamond detect the FireRed in the GBA slot?

BTW the blinking at the menu is just your wifi working; I don't know why, but it blinks regardless of whether or not you have a GBA game in your DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing good, just made my first drink of the day, so better now, Captain and Coke today. I had to cut grass all day, then get my hair cut. I messed with my wifey, she knew I was going to get hair cut, and I went and bought a purple dyed wig, and came home wearing it, she freaked out, thinking I dyed my hair purple, was funny.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Hey BigOnYa
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey hope all is well
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, And you too :)
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa how are you doing
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    any mushroom trip adventures you can share
  • JakobAir @ JakobAir:
    Damn, I haven't been on here in while. My wife and I went on a mushroom trip like 10 years ago. A friend had a PS3TV with the glasses and some racing game. It hit when I was playing the game and I freaked out because I thought I was really driving and crashed.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Orange ocean Hawaiian punch is pretty good but @BigOnYa keeps putting vodka in it
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    With enough Vodka everything is good
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im back
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    We are having a bbq
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Nice! Hopefully the weather is good today?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Sicklyboy, it's a bit cloudy but Yea it's good
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    80 for us all that rain then mother nature's like have some sun burn
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @Xdqwerty, good weather, good food, what's not to like about that? Hope you have a lovely day dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got some porkchops marinating in honey teriyaki hope it comes out good
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Porkchop was the name of that dog in that one cartoon, DOUG! :P
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Sonic Angel Knight, never watched doug
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might play Roblox again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh jump back to gdevelop
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i say "play Roblox" not "make games on Roblox"
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, i say "play Roblox" not "make games on Roblox"