Homebrew GBARunner2

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Download the build here.
Put it in "sd:/_nds/", replacing the existing build.
I have replaced in that folder the existing 'GBARunner2_arm7dldi_dsi.nds' (bigger size) with the recommended one (hicode version).
Unfortunately, I must say, to my amazement and regret, that the solution did not work. :sad:

I already assumed it wasn't a hicode problem, since, as I said, these Hacks are not that they didn't start at all; as before, they start well up to the title screen or a little further, then give a black screen and the music continues.
Maybe I had to change some option in the TWLMenu ++ menu by any chance?

I'm afraid i have to resign myself to playing them as before on slot2 of DS Lite ...:cry:

P.S. After careful consideration, my guess is that this issue may depend on the autosave function that F.E. games own.
in fact the first autosave occurs immediately after the title screen, right where they stop.
Previously I was able to find patches that cancel this feature, but only on map/in battle, not at the beginning or between chapters.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if it is possible to change at least the colour of the GBARunner2 border (default.bin) provided by the author, maybe through a hex-editor ?; if so, which values should be changed, and based on which colour table (I guess RGB)? :unsure:

I suppose that this answer given to me will be of great interest to all those who have waited (in vain) for the infamous, legendary (and now forgotten) .bmp to .bin converter...:rofl2:
You should be able to make a border with this guide by FrescoASF: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1owjiW-1fHEbokrkK2ZuPFjR2-N9s1dXCCAM3ghWRtxk/edit

(if you're on macOS / linux you can do these instead of wingrit and for concatenating)
Code:
grit input.png -gt -gB8 -mLs -mRf -ftb -fh! -ogbaframe.bin
Code:
cat gbaframe.pal.bin gbaframe.map.bin gbaframe.img.bin > gbaframe.bin

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Reactions: banjo2 and Pk11

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Fire Emblem Hacks in GBARunner2 ver.2.0

Good news for all fans of the eternal Fire Emblem saga on GBA. :D
Driven by desperation, I re-downloaded the hicode version of GBARunner2 from this link: https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner2/releases
and this time I inserted it in the root of the SD (and not in the _nds folder, as recommended).
By selecting this directly, instead of a gba rom, I then accessed the rom folder, selecting the first F.E.Hack (Black Knight Code), without nourishing any hope (!):sad:;
but to my great and wonderful surprise, the game passed the title screen, the introductive dialogues all the way to the game map, so I selected a character, I made the first attack (with activated animation): everything was perfect!

I then tried others titles (Burdened Crown, Elibean Nights, Eligon Spear, Inheritance, 2 Princesses, Vision Quest) and they all work fine.
I still can't explain why they didn't work before, and instead they worked in this way.
I only know that my purchase of a (used) DSI XL was not in vain ...:rofl:

Thanks Gericom, thanks Robz8, thanks gbatemp, thanks world! :bow:

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Fire Emblem Hacks in GBARunner2 ver.2.0

Good news for all fans of the eternal Fire Emblem saga on GBA. :D
Driven by desperation, I re-downloaded the hicode version of GBARunner2 from this link: https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner2/releases
and this time I inserted it in the root of the SD (and not in the _nds folder, as recommended).
By selecting this directly, instead of a gba rom, I then accessed the rom folder, selecting the first F.E.Hack (Black Knight Code), without nourishing any hope (!):sad:;
but to my great and wonderful surprise, the game passed the title screen, the introductive dialogues all the way to the game map, so I selected a character, I made the first attack (with activated animation): everything was perfect!

I then tried others titles (Burdened Crown, Elibean Nights, Eligon Spear, Inheritance, 2 Princesses, Vision Quest) and they all work fine.
I still can't explain why they didn't work before, and instead they worked in this way.
I only know that my purchase of a (used) DSI XL was not in vain ...:rofl:

Thanks Gericom, thanks Robz8, thanks gbatemp, thanks world! :bow:
meanwhile almost all pokemon romhacks dont work sadly :S

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha then you're lucky 'cause I just tested Mother 3 on DSi yesterday and discovered that it runs ONLY ON THE DSi BUILD on the hicode release on github. Check out the compatibility list on what steps to take.

And welcome to the forums btw!

Hello, I am trying to get Mother 3 working on my DSi XL using gbarunner2 but the game crashes after the brief intro. How do I tell GBARunner2 to use the DSi build? I don't see the option anywhere in GBArunner2 or in TwiiLightMenu.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For example, on my SD card there is GBARunner2_arm7dldi_dsi.nds and GBARunner2_arm7dldi_nodsp_dsi.nds.

How do I tell my DSi XL which version to use for GBARunner2?

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How do I tell GBARunner2 to use the DSi build? I don't see the option anywhere in GBArunner2 or in TwiiLightMenu.
Do you use GBARunner2 with a flashcart or through SD-slot, in your DSi XL?
In the latter case you have to use the hicode version for DSi (arm7 or arm9 depending on the processor you want to use) and overwrite the file already present.

As for me, not wanting to overwrite the existing one, I copied it in the SD root, and in the main menu of TWLMenu I launch it directly, and then I select the gba roms to play only with this version.

If I got something wrong someone will surely correct me.

Reactions: Zense and Hammyface

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you use GBARunner2 with a flashcart or through SD-slot, in your DSi XL?
In the latter case you have to use the hicode version for DSi (arm7 or arm9 depending on the processor you want to use) and overwrite the file already present.

As for me, not wanting to overwrite the existing one, I copied it in the SD root, and in the main menu of TWLMenu I launch it directly, and then I select the gba roms to play only with this version.

If I got something wrong someone will surely correct me.

Thanks so much for the reply. I am using it through the SD slot, I am on HiyaCFW.

Where do I obtain the hicode version? I don't see it listed anywhere.

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is it the "
GBARunner2_arm7dldi_dsi.nds
"
file?

If so, I tried that one and Mother 3 still crashes. Is it a different file?
It's the right version. Did you do as I recommended? Copy it to the SD root and run it directly, then choose the game.
Do not run the game directly from TWLMenu! Do you understand? :)

Edit: As soon as I have time I'll try it myself and tell you more; it may be that this game doesn't work that way either.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I tried that one and Mother 3 still crashes
Very strange. I just tried it on DSi XL, with the procedure I have already described, in the version translated into italian (which is derived from the english one of course) and it works perfectly: all the more reason the english one should work.
Eventually let us know if you've solved the problem.^_^

Reactions: Zense

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Very strange. I just tried it on DSi XL, with the procedure I have already described, in the version translated into italian (which is derived from the english one of course) and it works perfectly: all the more reason the english one should work.
Eventually let us know if you've solved the problem.^_^
mother 3 didn't work for me on 3DS. The compatibility list says it doesn't work AFAIK

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello, I am trying to get Mother 3 working on my DSi XL using gbarunner2 but the game crashes after the brief intro.
I have to take back what I said above, in a previous post, and I apologize.
Evidently, those who made the same mistake as me did not get to the beginning of the dialogues and actual gameplay.
1621502164910.jpg
1621502187559.jpg

To my amazement I notice that, while the italian version works without problems as in the photos (even with only Memory Pit and TWLMenu++ without anything else), the english version, from which the previous one is derived, freezes after the boy's mother knocked on the door.
Why one works and the other doesn't, is incomprehensible to me and defies all logic and common sense.:wacko:

All that remains is to compare the initial part of the 2 translation patches, using a hex-editor, and see how they differ and what causes the problem, which I don't think a beginner in romhacking can do.:unsure:

Last edited by Nikokaro,

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have to take back what I said above, in a previous post, and I apologize.
it's cool, i could've made it more clear. The game runs but locks during the encounter with the T-rex if my memory serves me right. Sadly i can't read italian. But that gives me hope, maybe there's a spanish version that does work

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
it's cool, i could've made it more clear. The game runs but locks during the encounter with the T-rex if my memory serves me right. Sadly i can't read italian. But that gives me hope, maybe there's a spanish version that does work
As you can see from my quote, my response was to @Hammyface, who uses a DSi, and not a 3DS, of which I have no experience.

I repeat that the game, with the english translation applied and on DSi, crashes after the "toc toc", before the guy gets out of bed.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    ^^ This :rofl2:
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    i didnt feel very well in school cuz there was too much noise for me to handle
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also im gonna redownload touhou 8 bc the other day i accidentaly deleted it (and also try to beat it with other characters and harder difficulties)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Sensory overloads suck.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I totally get that.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Pro ultra tip: eat a bunch of Skittles or imitation gold flakes before leaving a duece in the shower for girlfriend, makes it flashy and classy.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol that guy is funny! Following.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back. i had to help my mom with some documents
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i tried to "neutralize" the noise by hmmmm'ing but people told me to shut up
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i was covering my ears
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do not resuscitate form? Jk nvm
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Humming will never cover the sound of a fart
    +3
    Although if you can harmonize the humming and your own fart.... It could be a new form of music
    +2
    Maybe throw in some mumble rap
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You gotta practise, and know the tone of your farts, then you can master the skill, young grassfarter
    +2
    A new J Lo song is born
    +1
    Sure it's shit but the live concert, you can practically smell her enthusiasm
    I bet people would actually pay to see her farting into a microphone
    At the end of the concert she rips the foam rubber part of the microphone off and throws it into the crowd a lucky fan snatches it starts sniffing it vigorously!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: At the end of the concert she rips the foam rubber part of the microphone off and throws it into...