Homebrew GBARunner2

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My GBARunner3 is finally working, sadly the pokemon emerald only shows white screen.
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 405056
This is my card, running YSmenu.
That game uses hicode, which means the game contains code placed above the 2MB ROM range.
hicode will be properly supported in the future.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For those who want to try/test pre-release commits, here are the instructions (Currently only Windows users can build GBARunner3) :

Windows:

Install the latest version of DevKitPRO.

Clone GBARunner3 repo with submodules:

Code:
git clone --recursive https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner3.git

run `make` inside the \code folder.

Then you need:
  • TwilightMenu++ 26.1.1 or higher
  • GBARunner3.nds inside \_nds\TWiLightMenu\emulators
  • GBA bios renamed as "bios.bin" inside \_gba
  • Get the configs folder from the repository and copy it inside of the \_gba folder, it should be \_gba\configs.
  • GBARUNNER3_TEST = 1 text line under the [SRLOADER] section in \_nds\TWiLightMenu\settings.ini
  • If you're using a flashcard, compatibility has been fixed, so will be able to run this as well.
You can check the current status on the compatibility list here (contributors are welcome):

Last edited by DSoryu,

Lucaskame921

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just to confirm, GbaRunner3 currently only works on TwilightMenu, right? I tried it on an original R4 with Wood 1.62 firmware and the only thing that happens is the GBA bios logo loading and getting stuck at the end

edit: Oh, now I see that I need to put the rom in the root of the card renamed as "rom.gba". now it worked!

Last edited by Lucaskame921,
Reactions: DSoryu

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Is it possible to have a pack, with all needed files (except bios) inside to make it work?

You just need to follow the instructions I provided above, as long as you have everything inside the /_gba folder in the root of your SD card, there shouldn't be any issues.

Can someone confirm if gbarunner3 works on 2DS with standard speed please?
It should run the same as the DSi, so you can look at the compatibility list to check how most of the games currently run.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Custom border support for GBArunner3 has been implemented, and Pokémon Emerald boots now in regular DS mode!

1702155586595.png

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The audio in golden sun 2 has crackling, and when changing screens.
1702220062499.png

Currently expected. This game needs "wram icache" turned off to avoid any sound issues, since its sound mixer uses self modifying code, so cache becomes nonsense for the new modified instructions because of this, producing the sound issues.

Disabling "wram icache" may produce some noticeable performance drops in regular DS models, but currently this is the only available workaround until a way to invalidate cache for self-modyfing code is found (which is difficult).

You can turn off "wram icache" per-game (GBARunner3 supports per-game configurations now), just place your .json configuration file for this game inside the "_gba/configs" folder renamed to "Game TID + Game Revision", for the USA release of this game it should be "AGFE00.json".

Then, inside of your config file, write the following setting option:

Code:
{
    "runSettings": {
        "enableWramICache": false
    }
}

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Custom border support for GBArunner3 has been implemented, and Pokémon Emerald boots now in regular DS mode!
Hmm, not sure why, but with latest `develop` build, Emerald doesn't boot for me anymore. I'm on n3DS. I get BIOS splash then whitescreen. Also graphical glitches at bottom of screen (some weird duplication where the black border usually is).

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hmm, not sure why, but with latest `develop` build, Emerald doesn't boot for me anymore. I'm on n3DS. I get BIOS splash then whitescreen. Also graphical glitches at bottom of screen (some weird duplication where the black border usually is).
You need to build the "cache-hicode" branch for emerald, currently it also has the latest changes from the develop branch. Is still in a separate branch since we're still testing how most of the "hicode" games behave with the current approach.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
You need to build the "cache-hicode" branch for emerald, currently it also has the latest changes from the develop branch. Is still in a separate branch since we're still testing how most of the "hicode" games behave with the current approach.
Gotcha. I did try that to the same result but maybe I'll try with a fresh clone just in case...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/cooler-master-had-multi-coloured-ai-cryofuze-5-thermal... +1