GBAtemp Debate Club: Videogame Sexism

Do you believe video game marketing disproportionately favors males? (Choose best answer)

• Yes; and game companies are missing a great opportunity to gain consumers

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Yes; but with good reason- the games I'm thinking of have a disproportionate male userbase

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Yes; and game content is overwhelmingly male-oriented, too

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • No; and you feminists stop being paranoid about everything

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • No; I've actually noticed a lot of acceptance for females in the games I play

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • No; but I haven't really payed attention either way

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • (Other, please specify in thread)

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would agree with you, but female gamers are definitely on the rise and game devs continue to model their female characters in more and more unrealistic ways to attract male gamers, which can be both off-putting to the female demographic they're ignoring and mildly dangerous to people (both male and female) who think that those body types are "ideal."
Got any examples? Because I grew up thinking that the coolest bounty hunter was Samus Aran.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
For every 'sexist' character played for sex appeal there's an equal number of strong female role models in gaming. Feminists just cherry pick shit because in the internet age you have to be the loudest and most obnoxious to get senpai to notice you. Actually presenting a coherent debate backed up by properly researched facts and stats is entirely optional. So long as you're loud and sensational, your Patreon gets fed and you can make a pretty decent living by just complaining. But because it's the latest fad, everyone latches onto it. Give it time and feminists will eventually shut up when we all get bored and stop donating to their PayPal Tips Jar.

And for all the feminists out there who think there are no strong non-sexual female role models, here's a short list.

- Blaze Fielding from Streets of Rage. A character so in control that the game clones her as a boss at least 4 times.
- Elena Fisher from Uncharted
- Samus, obviously
- All the female gym leaders in literally all Pokemon games.
- More or less all the female characters in most RPGs.
- Any female unit in any Fire Emblem game.
- Literally any female whatsoever in Monster Hunter.

I could go on but I'm already bored.

LunaWofl

Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would agree with you, but female gamers are definitely on the rise and game devs continue to model their female characters in more and more unrealistic ways to attract male gamers, which can be both off-putting to the female demographic they're ignoring and mildly dangerous to people (both male and female) who think that those body types are "ideal."
Curious thoughts, and you believe the muscular male characters with unrealistic proportions (well I suppose they could have muscle like tumors growing) are any better? Perhaps tangential, but on dating sites you find that statistics are skewed to women having unrealistic expectations of attractiveness, with 80% of men being marked as below average, curious no?

:creep:

Last edited by LunaWofl, , Reason: I derped with sentence structure

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curious thoughts, and you believe the muscular male characters with unrealistic proportions (well I suppose they could have muscle like tumors growing). Perhaps tangential, but on dating sites you find that statistics are skewed to women having unrealistic expectations of attractiveness, with 80% of men being marked as below average, curious no?

:creep:
What do you think contributes to that? :P

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Girls play videogames? :blink:

Nah, just kidding. I know that, out there, exist female gamers, but I never saw one. Rare creatures they are.
But, yeah, talking about the topic, I think marketing is still going with the mentality that there exist only male games.
Not as much as years ago, tho. I do sometimes see some ads for gaming with girls (mostly 'bout "girly" games like Animal Crossing),
but the majority is still all focused on a male demographic. Not that I care much, if you like videogames, no matter what sex you are,
you just play them. Who cares about ads? I want the games!

And this post probably adds nothing to the on-going discussion. Sorry for wasting time and... Server space or what?

LunaWofl

Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What do you think contributes to that? :P
Who knows =q=
Entitlement
Mate value being associated with biological limitations
Unrealistic expectations
Larger interaction pool from males to females
Psychological differences
Brain differences
Society
Upbringing
Influx of single mothers

Considering that correlation does not equate to causation, I think answering that with any absolute certainty would be tricky.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Girls play videogames? :blink:

Nah, just kidding. I know that, out there, exist female gamers, but I never saw one. Rare creatures they are.
But, yeah, talking about the topic, I think marketing is still going with the mentality that there exist only male games.
Not as much as years ago, tho. I do sometimes see some ads for gaming with girls (mostly 'bout "girly" games like Animal Crossing),
but the majority is still all focused on a male demographic. Not that I care much, if you like videogames, no matter what sex you are,
you just play them. Who cares about ads? I want the games!

And this post probably adds nothing to the on-going discussion. Sorry for wasting time and... Server space or what?
No, please, all comments are welcome, it's an open debate ^_^
Who knows =q=
Entitlement
Mate value being associated with biological limitations
Unrealistic expectations
Larger interaction pool from males to females
Psychological differences
Brain differences
Society
Upbringing
Influx of single mothers

Considering that correlation does not equate to causation, I think answering that with any absolute certainty would be tricky.
Fair enough

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as body image goes in games and every other entertainment medium today, male body image is just as warped and unrealistic as the "ideal"(most marketable) female image. Seems like every single fruity looking actor these days takes asstons of steroids to the point of looking like a bunch of goofy, blown up cartoon characters which is just as silly and unrealistic as female stick figures with gargantuan fake tits. I like a little meat on the bone myself ;) Basically fuck madison avenue and don't let their advertising nonsense make you feel bad about your own appearance. Instead of getting offended, why don't we make fun of how fucking dumb the entire entertainment industry is?

This post may be a little incoherent because I'm really tired but I'm sure you all get the gist.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that you can't stop players from doing what they want within the game's boundaries. Games are for fantasy, not for realism. Most people don't want to look at an average avatar, they want it to be a fanatastic representation of themselves. The average person full well knows that their avatar is idealized because the average person can separate fact and fiction.

The people who can't will be trouble no matter what the medium. You can't change that, and it's not a developer's nor marketer's responsibility to account for that kind of person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: