GBAtemp hiring new moderators: we need you!

C9kEEmbXUAEX3r6.png

GBAtemp needs you!
The GBAtemp community has just lost one of its most valuable supervisors Minox who decided to step down after years of incredible service at GBAtemp. His presence and dedication are already heavily missed, if you're reading this Minox - I really mean it and I'm sorry you decided to go.

It's time to inject some fresh blood into our mod team! If you think you have what it takes, send me a PM. You don't have to post in this thread to apply. For your information, hiring decisions are made by staff consensus, I won't be the one to decide.

So you must be wondering: why would anyone want to join the mod team on these crazy forums? Well there are quite a few incentives:
- first you get a shiny badge, and access to our secret staff forums
- become part of the GBAtemp mod family and join our secret group chat
- get free games and hardware for review (you're free to choose the games/stuff you want to review)
- weigh in on important decisions concerning the organization of events and the future of the site
- early access to new features/skins and beta testing
- climb up the ladder to become a supervisor with full power over the entire site

What we're looking for before anything is level-headed persons with good common sense, if you've submitted valid reports before you literally get bonus points. Also, if you're familiar with the 3DS and Switch hacking scene, we're looking for moderators for these areas in particular.

Interested? Shoot me a private message! Your application will be reposted on our staff forum where the staff will render their verdict. We will inform you when decisions have been made.

Last edited by Costello,

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The actions match up, but I don't know. You should check my profile page...

Seems like he "knows" me, the post in the thread was nuked but he says he's seen my posts.

Reactions: HamBone41801

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I kind of doubt he has the brain capacity to have meant that. His reply pretty blatantly expresses that sentiment.

This is a gaming community, and realistically speaking basically the only moderation decisions being made have little to nothing to do with life experience or perspective. If I go around shitposting memes or screaming racial slurs, a mod doesn't really need to have been born in a certain part of the world to handle that. There are rare instances where that's not entirely the case, but something so fringe shouldn't affect the overall process.

The one and only thing that matters is that the person can handle the role. They enforce the rules without being a dick-tator about it. A common problem with newer mods is that they tend to go a little overboard and over-moderate for the sake of steadfast sticking to the rules. This is a place with many voices, and not all of them will be nice. That doesn't mean they should be censored. It's a pretty fine line mods have to walk to allow a freedom of discussion and expression, while also keeping this as an environment people are happy to be in.
It's also basically impossible to cater to everyone. Especially in this era of snowflakes.

But yeah, the mod team needs good mods chosen for their ability to moderate. Everything else is secondary or unimportant. Their skin colour, age, location, "life experience", etc doesn't matter as long as they are fit to properly do the job. It's already a hard role to fill, no point adding extra shit to the pile.

Point proven. This pretty much sums it up, folks. I suggest - suggest - diversity, and certain folks become triggered to the point of baseless insults & alt right dog whistling. And this person is a longtime/'staff' member here, keep in mind.

Anyhow, carry on with the (anticipated) bashfest, I'm out.
I've got to wonder if many of you will look back on these times, some of these postings, and feel ashamed of your past selves. :(

Reactions: Taffy

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Point proven. This pretty much sums it up, folks. I suggest - suggest - diversity, and certain folks become triggered to the point of baseless insults & alt right dog whistling. And this person is a longtime/'staff' member here, keep in mind.

Anyhow, carry on with the (anticipated) bashfest, I'm out.
I've got to wonder if many of you will look back on these times, some of these postings, and feel ashamed of your past selves. :(
Hells is many things, but alt-right is not one of them. I agree that he may have a tendency to jump straight to sometimes baseless insults, but tbh, you really aren’t doing so hot yourself. If you go around calling every single person that disagrees with you politically the alt-right, I think you’ll find you have way more enemies than allies.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Not a drop of projection, just facts and opened eyes.

I commented on the lack of diversity among the staff, nothing more. My statement is accurate. The situation could be corrected, in the name of fairness & progress, if they choose to do so. Those that get 'triggered' by this fact (note the various replies to my original post) likely have an inert/personal reason as to why.

@Chary - I mentioned diversity (GASP!) and he went straight for "...their physical appearance and not their actual experience or qualifications." That's literally the definition of dog whistling.

Buuuuuut hey, it is what it is; this is the forum and it's not likely to change anytime soon. Just trying to inject a bit of life experience and social realities into the mix. I've noticed a definite pattern that whenever the subject of 'race' 'diversity', and/or 'sexual preference/lifestyle' (among other topics) appears in a thread, it typically devolves into a game of "not ME!!, how DARE you!!" & denial to the point where a staff member steps in and begins axing posts/members. You need only to look at the comments in this very thread, the pattern of 'likes' coupled with the clique-like mindsets, to see the factuality.
Rinse/repeat/zzzzzzzzz.
I believe Chary already showed that our staff are from all over the world. We're a global community and our staff does reflect that. Everyone is of all kinds of age, nationality, creed, politics, we have a lot of diversity as it is. I say you're projecting because you seem to think we have a problem with anyone who isn't white. I mean, I'm not white and I don't have a problem with myself. We're an online gaming community, no one knows anyone's race, everyone is just who their profile pics are. I mean, did you know I'm Indian and a US immigrant? Could you tell that from my profile? Likely not. In real life, face to face, perhaps race consciousness is a factor in making unbiased judgements. But here, on a largely anonymous internet forum? Here, race means absolutely nothing, and we already have staff from all over the world.

Furthermore, because we're global, we can't "reflect social realities" because social realities are gonna vastly differ in parts of the world. Rather, at most, we can only reflect the realities of our members, and lo and behold, our staff ended up reflecting just that.

Let's not divide our community by race and nationality lines, shall we? Here, you're only one thing: a 'Temper. And I think that's how we would all like it. The reason you're being ridiculed is because you fail to understand what we are saying and instead jump to conclusions based on your preconceived notions.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No more Minox, that's a real shame. :( Easily the finest, most professional I've encountered here.

I can't think of anyone that I'd nominate. A few come close, but just miss the mark in a few departments. More diversity among the staff is always a plus, unless the 'good old (white) boys club' is something you're actually striving for, heh.
Someone with a bit of actual life experience couldn't hurt, either.
How do you even know what race members are?

ByteBite

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
What happened last night? Tx fallout or something?
Someone made a thread that got a lot of people mad (for good reason). Bold claims and no proof.

I don't have the exact numbers but there's no question that the Switch forums traffic has exploded in recent months. It seems like that place has to be watched 24/7 now because otherwise posters there will easily get themselves into trouble and start fights.

HamBone41801

Vipera’s Alt
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone made a thread that got a lot of people mad (for good reason). Bold claims and no proof.

I don't have the exact numbers but there's no question that the Switch forums traffic has exploded in recent months. It seems like that place has to be watched 24/7 now because otherwise posters there will easily get themselves into trouble and start fights.
Was it the tx brick dude? Or just one of the David threads?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I recommend @Quantumcat for the 3DS section! (P.S. Hey, Old, she's Australian, is that enough diversity for you?) :tpi:
Thanks Darth! I think I'm online when mods generally aren't - a certain thread in the Switch forum went on all day when I reported it soon after it started (along with many others probably).

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: DarthDub

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe