GBAtemp Official Qoobchip Review

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GBAtemp Review of the Qoob PRO Gamecube Modchip
Wee! My first review!

Well, I've bought a Qoobchip and thought I'd share my thoughts about it. Read my review to find out how it adds up.

Click Here to read the review!
Feel free to leave comments, feedback, or any questions in this thread. Have fun!

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Interesting. I am looking to buy a GC modchip myself, but don't know if I should get a Viper, or a Qoob. A lot of the Qoob "features" seem unnecessary to me - but if it fits better, without stuffing up the ventilation, etc. it'd probably be a better choice in that regard. The main one of course, is the BIOS. What I'd really like to hear is a direct comparison between the Qoob and Cobra BIOSes. BTW, for those interested in developments, etc. about all GC modchip/backup/whatever stuff, head along to maxconsole.net.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
nice review. sadly it didn't encourage me to buy the chip.. I want most games working flawlessly, not with sound errors of any type.

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are the mini DVD discs compatible with standard DVD burners? or do i have to buy another burner for it?

If your burner has a smaller ring in the middle, it will burn mini-DVDs.

Also I thought I'd add that the computer can't read Gamecube discs so you can't rent a game and copy it, you have to download the ISOs.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Great reveiw Jumpman, but did you try adjusting the Ohms output on your laser so it will read discs burned at a higher speed? Doing this will probably help it read the discs you already burned, too. Thats at least what I have gathered from several other forums on the subject...

elifecyber

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Are the mini DVD discs compatible with standard DVD burners? or do i have to buy another burner for it?

Also I thought I'd add that the computer can't read Gamecube discs so you can't rent a game and copy it, you have to download the ISOs.

It is possible when you have some special Panasonic burner... wich is about over 300 bucks
dry.gif

Chiaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The

It is possible when you have some special Panasonic burner... wich is about over 300 bucks
dry.gif

Being someone who's doing it:
You can attach the BBA (broadband adaptor) to your gamecube and use it as a drive for your GC discs and create an image of the disc via the gamecube iso ripping server on your PC.

Something I wanted to ask:
Does the qoob SX chip not support Mini-DVD-Rs ???

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Chiaki:
1) I heard the Qoob doesn't let you copy games that way.
2) The SX does not support mini-DVD-Rs.

bryehn:
Simply rename the .gcm to .iso

HarveyDX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if it doesnt support mini DVD's then how do i burn them so it can play them. And it says on the site that you dont need soldering. but you say yes, so whats what?

TyrianCubed

Gamer 1989 to present
Trophies
Website
www.gamescollection.it
XP
Country
Italy
I didn't know about SX and minis...are you really really sure about that? Not that I don't trust you, but this really surprises me!
Anyway I have an SX and I use standard size dvds...I burned the first at 1x and it didn't work, I'm burning everything at 4x and they work like a charm, no DRE, no freezes, no glithces etc. So maybe is your GC laser or your burner? Really, 4x burning for me works. Slower speeds give me problems. And they confirmed me this thing of the 4x speed on maxconsole boards too=)
Anyway to all of you interested in the qoob, I suggest to buy it, is really a great thing and works fine with me, even with multigame discs (2 or+games on a single disc...nice!). For those who don't need the extra features (like me) but only backup playing go for the sx.

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ok...AND you can boot multi (i assume 3) games on one dvd-r?!??!?

awesome, cause mini dvd-r's aren't the cheapest

*busts out credit card*

djgarf

I Am A Raver
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
i cant see how they say the sx version dosent support mini dvd's to be honest
if the bios can boot full sized dvds it will boot minis too

as mentioned above maxconsole's forums are a excellent start for anyone interested in gamecube modding but their is also the ultimate gamecube mod guide called "mod that cube" which is done by a guy called brakken and is very detailed in all aspects of chipping/exploiting your gamecube and everything you can do with it after
http://modthatcube.ngcdev.com/main.htm

i dont have my cube chipped i use the exploit method instead because all i needed to actually buy was a action replay cus i had all the other bits already
considering buying a sd card adapter for the gamecube too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @genistopitauniverfrocrami, Not interested. The fanbase totally ruined it.