GBAtemp V5 is online!

Dear Tempers,

The GBAtemp Team is happy to present the Fifth version of GBAtemp (this isn't even its final form!). TJ and I have been working on it for months and it's finally ready for you to use. There are tons of changes so I will only highlight the biggest ones, and you'll discover the rest by yourself over time.

A new homepage
We have created a brand new customizable and modern homepage. Its layout can be adjusted to fit your personal preference - move your mouse over the "Home" menu item and click "Customize your portal" to make your changes.

New site skin
We have updated the site and forum skin to look more modern with new colors and fonts. Both skins have been updated (light & dark). We are still working out the kinks, we are aware of a few minor issues, not everything's perfect yet but in time we'll get there!

Mobile friendly browsing
Finally you can browse GBAtemp on your mobile devices... without Tapatalk! Our new skin is fully responsive, just try it, it looks fantastic! All site features are supported, including the dark theme.

Ask GBAtemp!
If you have been around long enough you already know what this is. But for the others: Ask GBAtemp is a place where you can ask simple questions and get direct answers, in a similar manner to Yahoo Answers. There are already thousands of questions back from a few years ago, and it's now time to get back at it! Go ahead and ask your questions if you've got any.

Board upgrade
We have updated our forum software to the latest version, and this brings a lot of improvements on all fronts. The biggest and most noticeable improvements are:
- a new message editor supporting image paste and drag & drop
- watching a forum to get notifications when new posts are made
- multi-quote and selective quoting
- thread-wide bans... whoops, this is going to come in handy for the mod team
- online status indicator on avatars

We hope you will enjoy browsing the new and improved GBAtemp. Feel free to reply to this thread to give us feedback. Many thanks to tj_cool for doing most of the work!

A discussion forum has been created to centralize discussions revolving around GBAtemp v5. Click here to access it! We have already created several thread about known issues.

Costello & the GBAtemp Team

logo.png

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I'm sure that's entirely because the layout is the web design equivalent of Nazi Germany and not because this is just a slow week for you on the site. Let's not look at any possible extraneous factors and immediately point the finger at the site redesign.
I never said it was DEFINITELY because of the new layout. I also don't follow the traffic, so I can't verify anything that zoogie said. I was just making a simple statement. I hadn't thought about it. If there is a large drop in visitors, you might look into what's changed though.

I know I'm just a lowly user, but I still maintain that your best course of action is to make both v4 and v5 an option, then let people choose for themselves. You LITERALLY get to please everyone then.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I still think the core part of GBATemp was allways the Release list including screenshots and comments about new Games
um.. yup ...the release list used to be in the right side of the portal page in v4, ....right? I don't remember when it went away.. ..it was not a bad thing to have.

Design-wise though, the things I'm against in the new v5 are kinda minimal.. still hope they get fixed during this change period

Last edited by Walker D,

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
No, lol, but I don't dislike the site, especially as much as some people do.
I think it's just ugly, but that's mostly because I've never been a fan of flat. I still have some outdated apps on my phone because the newer version changed interfaces. They did add some nice features, and I recognize that. I really wish they hadn't moved some of the buttons around though, like "Mark All as Read". I don't see any reason behind that. It's just a pointless change that adds confusion.

Well, they already said they aren't planning on making a v4 theme. I guess we just got to wait. :P
That helped some (communication is always good), but not addressing if they could means it's probably possible. I also don't see why it would be so hard, since they already have a base.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have a question and request. Is it possible to have two "Recent Content" blocks at the same time? I remember way back in the day when there were a field of USN above the Recent Content-field... and I'd like to have that back by using two "Recent Content" blocks. Would that be possible to implement easily?

jacobas92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd venture to say a portion of the slowdown in traffic would be result of some people not wanting to have to use the web browser. Personally, I hate having to wait for a web page to load on 3G. Much easier with tapatalk, almost instant

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
am I the only who like v5 layout and the mobile interface? :unsure:

You and the admins, but aside from that i don't see a single living soul who actually liked it.
V4 was decent all around and IPB looked fantastic, it seems GBATemp just have a tendency to get uglier by the time

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a couple of bugs to report, when i went to edit a post the other day it did not edit it
it kept the post and then added the edit as a second post so a duplicate with edited one showing as a second post
it hasn't happened in a couple days though so maybe it's fixed

the second is a minor bu i notice now, in chrome the GBA temp tab icon show up like normal , but when it changes to show alerts i just see a red square over the icon but the number that shows how many alert notifications is missing now, it's just red square instead of a red square with a number of alerts

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You and the admins, but aside from that i don't see a single living soul who actually liked it.
V4 was decent all around and IPB looked fantastic, it seems GBATemp just have a tendency to get uglier by the time
I like it. It was a bit different at first, and I had to get used to it... but I find it more intuitive now than before, and I just like the change.

why is this website became too much slower then old gbatemp? it takes too damn time to load or reply
What connection do you have? It's instantaneous for me.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
While the majority of responders don't like it, there are a few people who've stated they do like it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Jayro @ Jayro: The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.