Official GBAtemp Review GBATemp's Official sky3DS Review

Keylogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Sky3ds remembers the 10 games with a template.txt file, right?

Now, if you take 2 games (Ex: Zelda OOT & NSMB2) and change their titleID (hex edit) to make the 2 games with the same title ID.
Will they count as 1 or 2 games?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sky3ds remembers the 10 games with a template.txt file, right?

Now, if you take 2 games (Ex: Zelda OOT & NSMB2) and change their titleID (hex edit) to make the 2 games with the same title ID.
Will they count as 1 or 2 games?
No, the template file is only used to replace some stuff in the ROM's, the actual information the cart saves is on on-board memory, not the template.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i really hate the 10 game BS.... but still the price of the cart is like too much for my blood...

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
Great to see it's 10 games in total so we can write just a few then wait for new games like Xenoblade Chronicles.

Does it "remember" what game it was cycled to when you reboot the system?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
After a year big N might release 4DS and Wii They

The 3DS was released 6-7 years after the NDS was released (2011), so I doubt that's going to happen.
No, I keep hoping on a breakthrough regarding 3DS flashcards, a man can dream ;)
They obviously learned a lot with the disastrous previous generation.

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
The 3DS was released 6-7 years after the NDS was released (2011)
and 2DS was released about 2 years after the 3DS. I don't think big N is going to take the 1DS route so 4DS seems more possible.

PS. My first post was a joke. You are taking things too seriously.
PSS. Related video:

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first heard about the sky3ds I thought it meant ten games at a time. Now that I know it's ten games total, I won't bother with it. What's the point?
Considering you buy all your 3ds games brand new they are about $40 USD so 2 new 3ds games would be $80 alone and you can put 10 whole games on it for the basicly the price of 2 games. Plus support for newer firmware right out of the box.

InfoAddict

Trophies
XP
Country
It only has 10 non-re-writable slots for games, if you want to play more games, you have to purchase another sky3DS cartridge

That is atrocious. I guess for those desperate on the higher firmwares it's not too bad, but non-re-writable? 10 slot limit is fine, but non-re-writable sounds awful.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
cvskid said:
Considering you buy all your 3ds games brand new they are about $40 USD so 2 new 3ds games would be $80 alone and you can put 10 whole games on it for the basicly the price of 2 games. Plus support for newer firmware right out of the box.

To which I point out that sky3ds isn't a real game and can potentially be blocked by Nintendo at a later date. Never compare the cost of real games to hack devices. Especially this kind of device which is a money grab. Making the device rewritable would have made it an instant sell. Besides, it isn't like having ten games. I would still have to pirate those games.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Foxi4 can you test pokebank (with either x or y) with that card? want to know if the thing detects anything different...

also 7 points is too high for his price... 10 non-rewritable games is a bullshit... and no homebrew support...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
foxi4 can you test pokebank (with either x or y) with that card? want to know if the thing detects anything different...
I don't have Pokebank and it's not free anymore.
also 7 points is too high for his price... 10 non-rewritable games is a bullshit... and no homebrew support...
That's a matter of opinion. The cartridge does what it's supposed to do, it works as advertised. We've had people crying bloody murder for a 4.5+ kit forever now - sky3DS does that, and that alone is worth quite a lot of points.

Here's what it comes down to - it supports just about every 3DS game as long as it's in the template file and it works on latest firmware. No, it doesn't have homebrew, it doesn't support eShop games, it doesn't do NAND operations and it doesn't have a menu - if it did all that and didn't have a games limit, it wouldn't be a 7 - it would be a 10.

Reactions: migles

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have Pokebank and it's not free anymore.
That's a matter of opinion. The cartridge does what it's supposed to do, it works as advertised. We've had people crying bloody murder for a 4.5+ kit forever now - sky3DS does that, and that alone is worth quite a lot of points.

Here's what it comes down to - it supports just about every 3DS game as long as it's in the template file and it works on latest firmware. No, it doesn't have homebrew, it doesn't support eShop games, it doesn't do NAND operations and it doesn't have a menu - if it did all that and didn't have a games limit, it wouldn't be a 7 - it would be a 10.

I have to say, if sky3ds hadn't arrived Gateway would've never made the news about compatibility for 4.5+. So thank your lucky starts that sky3ds made there move and has push the competition to accept the challenge to make there carts available to 3ds 4.5+.

Reactions: cvskid

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

At least with the actual genuine cards you can swap the games whereas this piece of shit that costs $100 locks down 10 games and then forces the user to buy another one to put 10 more different games in that Sky 3DS card.

This is a god damn scam.

Reactions: cvskid

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least with the actual genuine cards you can swap the games whereas this piece of shit that costs $100 locks down 10 games and then forces the user to buy another one to put 10 more different games in that Sky 3DS card.

This is a god damn scam.

Until proven.........its heresay.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

This is a god damn scam.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/scam said:
scam (skæm)
n
1. a stratagem for gain; a swindle
vb, scams, scamming or scammed
2. (tr) to swindle (someone) by means of a trick
scam (skæm)

n., v. scammed, scam•ming. n.
1. a fraudulent scheme; swindle.
v.t.
2. to cheat; defraud.

The devs of these devices were up front about this from the first, many people had troubling getting their heads around this (and, historically at least, it is a very odd way of setting about making and selling a flash cart) but they were up front about it.

Likewise every one of their claims has been demonstrated to be true, this would then mean it is not a scam at all. It may be an unappealing investment for you (being early stage flash cart hardware it is a fairly safe bet it will not be a great long term thing) but unappealing investment does not necessarily translate to scam.

Also $100? I thought there were good retailers that were going considerably lower, and had been since day one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d0-EuoBjkKI&pp=ygUqd2F0Y2htZW4gaSdtIG5vdCB0cmFwcGVkIGluIGhlcmUgd2l0...