Geohot: Full 3.55 CFW PS3 Jailbreak Is Working!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
powerking56 said:
Since geohot has disabled lv2 patching, is it enabled on kakaroto's cfw??
Depends if geohot disabled it or just didn't enable it. If he disabled it, yeah it'd be enabled in KaKaRoTo's. But if he just didn't enable it, it won't be enabled in either.

Just FYI for anyone who hasn't checked, geohot's CFW is a smaller download (because you don't have to download the OFW and patch it, its just the patches packed into a PUP file which can be installed on 3.55).

EDIT: And before n00bs start asking: NO, this will NOT enable backup managers. Those require more patches to the firmware, which this (in itself) does NOT provide. This will just let you run homebrew and emulators. (e.g. you should be able to run FTP servers etc.)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
George Dawes said:
SifJar said:
PS3 slim released with OtherOS removed = August September 2009
EDIT: It was only announced in August.
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything - the fat ps3 kept OOS way after the slim was released, as the timeline shows. OOS was only removed after geohots "work" on the PS3 fat.
Because Sony needed an excuse to remove it. A "security issue" was perfect.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I must say, I installed his CFW and SNES9X to try it out but I already deinstalled it and I regret installing it.
I'm trying to play GT5 but this constant fear of getting banned from PSN is making me sad. I wish geohot or someone else from the scene would reveal that Sony can't ban for this or something so I can play in peace again.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Neko said:
I must say, I installed his CFW and SNES9X to try it out but I already deinstalled it and I regret installing it.
I'm trying to play GT5 but this constant fear of getting banned from PSN is making me sad. I wish geohot or someone else from the scene would reveal that Sony can't ban for this or something so I can play in peace again.
We won't know until people start getting banned. It depends on whether Sony can sniff certain FW files over PSN while you're online from the XMB and see if they've been editted in any way. If they can then CFW=Ban. If its easy to block the game of cat and mouse begins. If its impossible then we're safe
smile.gif

Rafinesque

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Everyone should be careful installing the CFW. There are some fake ones that are bricking consoles, and have a Windows trojan in the zip file...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rafinesque said:
Everyone should be careful installing the CFW. There are some fake ones that are bricking consoles, and have a Windows trojan in the zip file...
Get it from geohot's website and its safe. Any mirror is potentially unsafe and against geohot's wishes.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to know how to go back to OFW from this CFW. How would I go about doing it? If I've already installed homebrew, what do I need to do first? Delete the Homebrew? Delete any saves made by said homebrew? And how would I do that? Its SNES9x, I made one savestate file, and I can't find it using the in program navigation or the PS3 navigation. If I'm putting together proper reviews, I need to know how to do this.

C

croagunk.master

Do you need to re-pair your controllers with your ps3 after you install this?

loudog999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any reason to install this instead of KaKaRoToKS? If so, do I need to go back to ofw 3.55 or can I just run this one from recovery? I would try it out myself but am at work right now for the next 7 hours.

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It turns out the GeoHot's CFW cannot be applied via Recovery Mode. Instead, you just do a normal system update from a storage device. It acts like a new firmware (version 3.55-jb) instead of 3.55, like KaKaRoTo's CFW (or whatever the hell his stupid name is).

Now I've just got to get PKGs to install. None I have tried so far will work, even GeoHot's supposedly signed snes9x...

Still, I'm excited about this. It's still early days, but it's kind of like the Wii hacks all over again. Screw the Xbox 360. Seriously though, the piracy is gonna run rampant soon enough. Too soon, it seems. I'm fine with just homebrew, or a LEGITIMATE way to backup games without piracy, but everyone knows that'll never happen.

EDIT: Turns out if you are on the previous CFW, you need to reinstall OFW 3.55 before installing GeoHot's 3.55 CFW, else it won't update properly. Probably something to do with KaKaRoTo's unsigned CFW that only allows signed PKGs. Now that I've gone back to OFW then GeoHot's CFW, I can install PKGs just fine. Works like a charm, too. Nice to play SNES on my PS3.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Something I've been wondering about for awhile now. In an off chance that you somehow bricked your PS3 while updating, would it be possible to unbrick it by entering the recovery menu (If at all possible)? If not then I'm probably gonna wait until something similar to Bootmii comes out before I try. I've always dreaded that the power might go out while it's updating, since it's happened to my friend once.

oricon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have question regarding hacking the Ps3 is it safe to go online with the new hack, and is it possible to make the ps3 "virgin" again if sony somehow manages to patch the ps3 by not letting hacked ps3 play newer ps3 games and go online.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oricon said:
I have question regarding hacking the Ps3 is it safe to go online with the new hack, and is it possible to make the ps3 "virgin" again if sony somehow manages to patch the ps3 by not letting hacked ps3 play newer ps3 games and go online.
No one knows whether sony can detect a custom CFW, though no one has been has been banned so far. To make the PS3 "virgin" you'd just install the official firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: