Homebrew Homebrew game MultiDRCSpaceDemo - Using two GamePads on a single console

GaryOderNichts

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A space shooter demo using the Wii U's MultiDRC mode.

The Wii U has an unused feature allowing two GamePads to be connected to a single console.
Nintendo announced this back at the E3 2012 before the Wii U was released.
While this feature was never released it is still in the system files and can be used by homebrew applications.
This project acts as a small demo and example for using that MultiDRC mode.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Downloads

Screenshots​

Screenshot 0 Screenshot 1 Screenshot 2

Controls​

GamePad controls

I made several pull requests with the necessary functions to the Wii U toolchain repo, and I hope this encourages other homebrew developers to make use of this feature:
https://github.com/devkitPro/wut/pull/266
https://github.com/devkitPro/wut/pull/265
https://github.com/devkitPro/wut/pull/264

tehtemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gary is one of the few developers keeping the Wii U alive and relevant close to 10 years after the Wii U was released!

Gary, do you think it will be possible for homebrew devs (namely emulators) to use the second gamepad as a controller with the screen on?

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This unused feature makes me feel happy I've got two Wii U's (one is bricked though) each one with a gamepad.

Hope this functionality gets implemented soon on more homebrew apps, I'm imagining playing emulated games using two gamepads! Awesome!

Thanks a lot @GaryOderNichts !!!

Reactions: GaryOderNichts

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
lol, the next step would to be making the switch emulate a wiiu gamepad, so you can then connect it to a real console. (because realistically, who on earth has two gamepads? I mean most people don't)
Anyways, cool to see the wiiu brew still kicking

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy Shit, THIS has been one of the biggest features I wanted to see the homebrew scene implement since Nintendo never did. But never did I imagine that it would actually happen. Definitely gotta keep an eye on what this might do for the homebrew scene on the Wii U. I'm dying for each Game Pad to be able to emulate a Game Boy or maybe even Game Boy Advance game at the same time and have them able to wirelessly link up.

Gotta start looking for another Gamepad.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what would be a great homebrew for this? Liero, that old Worms 1 styled game where 2 people play as a worm fighting the whole round in real time, (traditionally) in split screen. But change that split screen to where each player gets their own screen, and you add a new layer of strategy to such a game where you can't screen watch to find each other. And I dunno, change the TV display to just the radar or something so that you can look up and get a general idea of where the other player is.

Reactions: Mortjsf and vgmoose

Kopimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally I have a use for my 2nd gamepad! I knew it would be handy some day :).

Can't wait for other devs to utilize this feature. I plan on trying out the space shooter game with my gf at some point. Awesome work @GaryOderNichts

Reactions: GaryOderNichts

BrothersFiveGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy Shit, THIS has been one of the biggest features I wanted to see the homebrew scene implement since Nintendo never did. But never did I imagine that it would actually happen. Definitely gotta keep an eye on what this might do for the homebrew scene on the Wii U. I'm dying for each Game Pad to be able to emulate a Game Boy or maybe even Game Boy Advance game at the same time and have them able to wirelessly link up.

Gotta start looking for another Gamepad.
Would love to see the GBA wireless link between Game Pads, hopefully creating a way to play things like Zelda Four Swords and Advance Wars.

Reactions: Mortjsf

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would love to see the GBA wireless link between Game Pads, hopefully creating a way to play things like Zelda Four Swords and Advance Wars.
Thing is, something like it should have already been feasible where one player has a gamepad and one has the TV, yet nothing has ever surfaced in this regard. There are Game Boy (Color) cores in retroarch that can emulate 2 GBCs at once on the Wii U (plus a really old Wii homebrew called gb4gb could emulate up to 4 Game Boys on the Wii at once). Feasibly it all should be possible with separate displays on the Wii U at least through the GBC, but no one that would know how to make such a thing has really surfaced and shown an interest as far as I know. Maybe someday though, one can always dream.

Reactions: Kopimist

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @AncientBoi, would be a better lover to luke he knows how to get in personal space better
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [sips my ☕ ]
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The other night was watching tv in my screened in porch, and heard something walking on my porch roof, thought maybe it was a raccoon, so I grabbed my rifle and went out to look, it was just a duck, lol
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shoot the duck free meal
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not allowed here in Ohio without Duck hunting permit, n it not in season yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just say it was trespassing and you thought it was ancientboi
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We can shoot racoon, possums, skunks, cayottes tho
    +1
    I can shoot guys :shy::blush::evil:
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not from more than 2 feet tho
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You confuse shooting for milking
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @AncientBoi, hasn't shot anything since 1938
    +2
    I think that was "The great depression" time
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It like one of those fake guns, that shoot, then a flag comes out and says, "splash"
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah a world War wasn't going on or anything
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Americans lied about camps for propaganda
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, where is your gun at?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought he already showed you his gun
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun." - Full Metal Jacket
    +1
    We actually said that in Boot Camp, waaay before the movie :mellow:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I gotta raid0 these m.2s yay
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do a raid10
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's tomorrow
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That's tomorrow +1