GeoHot Releases Homebrew Signing Tools

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In case anyone is wondering, I believe the process for signing an existing homebrew is:

Get the source
Build an ELF
Use geohot's make_self_npdrm to sign it into a SELF
Build it into a PKG
Use geohot's finalize_pkg to sign the PKG

Then it should install fine. If you have PSL1GHT set up, I think you should be able in theory to tweak the MAKEFILE of an app to do all this automatically, but I'm not completely sure. I think all the non-geohot tools stuff can already be done with PSL1GHT.

It seems geohot has removed the binaries of his tools, so if you want to use them, you'll have to compile them from source.

EDIT: If you can extract an ELF from an unsigned PKG, you may be able to sign the ELF (make it a SELF), repack it into a PKG and sign the PKG, but I don't know for sure. I don't follow the PS3 scene too closely, and don't know much about programming either.

pikachu945

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SifJar said:
In case anyone is wondering, I believe the process for signing an existing homebrew is:

Get the source
Build an ELF
Build it into a PKG

Then it should install fine. If you have PSL1GHT set up, I think you should be able in theory to tweak the MAKEFILE of an app to do all this automatically, but I'm not completely sure. I think all the non-geohot tools stuff can already be done with PSL1GHT.

It seems geohot has removed the binaries of his tools, so if you want to use them, you'll have to compile them from source.

how would we do this? lol

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pikachu945 said:
SifJar said:

Get the source
Build an ELF
Build it into a PKG

how would we do this? lol

Which part?
tongue.gif
If you can get PSL1GHT setup correctly, you shouldn't have any issues building geohot's tools, I think simply downloading the sources, opening a terminal, navigating to the right place and typing "make" should do the trick. Then drop the binaries into PSL1GHT's "bin" directory.

Then you'd open the file "makefile.base" from PSL1GHT and add these lines at the top:

Code:
make_self_npdrmÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ:= $(PSL1GHT)/bin/make_self_npdrm.exe
package_finalizeÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ:= $(PSL1GHT)/bin/package_finalize.exe

(Note: These instructions are for windows, dunno what the binary extension would be on linux)

Then I think you'd change this part of the MAKEFILE of the project you want to sign:

Code:
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂ@$(FSELF) -n $(BUILD)/$(TARGET).elf $(BUILD)/pkg/USRDIR/EBOOT.BIN
ÂÂÂÂ@$(SFO) --title "$(TITLE)" --appid "$(APPID)" -f $(SFOXML) $(BUILD)/pkg/PARAM.SFO
ÂÂÂÂ@$(PKG) --contentid $(CONTENTID) $(BUILD)/pkg/ $(OUTPUT).pkg

to something like this:

CODE
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂ@$(make_self_npdrm) -n $(BUILD)/$(TARGET).elf $(BUILD)/pkg/USRDIR/EBOOT.BIN
ÂÂÂÂ@$(SFO) --title "$(TITLE)" --appid "$(APPID)" -f $(SFOXML) $(BUILD)/pkg/PARAM.SFO
ÂÂÂÂ@$(PKG) --contentid $(CONTENTID) $(BUILD)/pkg/ $(OUTPUT).pkg
ÂÂÂÂ@$(package_finalize) $(OUTPUT).pkg

Then you'd do a "make pkg" on the app.

But like I say, I'm no programmer, and I barely understand makefiles. This could be completely inaccurate.

EDIT: Apparently the process for signing an old PKG is:

unpkg -> unself -> make_self_npdrm -> psl1ght PKG tools (i.e. pkg.py) -> package_finalize

So if you can compile geohot's two tools and find the others (shouldn't be hard), you should be able to do it.

powerking56

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The BlackB0x FTP Server which connor_walsh has provided contains a pkg file. It also has a bin file, do we simply need to copy over the pkg file or do you need to do something with the EBOOT.BIN file?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
powerking56 said:
The BlackB0x FTP Server which connor_walsh has provided contains a pkg file. It also has a bin file, do we simply need to copy over the pkg file or do you need to do something with the EBOOT.BIN file?
Try the PKG file and see if it works. Chances are EBOOT.BIN is just the SELF version of the same thing (i.e. before it is made into a PKG)

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pikachu945 said:
what is multiman anyways?
I believe it's the backup loader that PS3 Jailbreakers used.
I dunno for sure, don't have a PS3, think it might stand for multi-manager since it does a bit more than load ISOs.

powerking56

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Makar8000 said:
So the only thing this is good for is PS3 homebrew? Sorry if I sound dumb but I only remember GeoHot being a part of the iOS homebrew stuff

As of yet its only use is homebrew but it will most likely be much better in the near future considering how well it's going upon few weeks/days of release.

pikachu945

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so the best idea for me to sign out of PSN while I am playing homebrew lol
so my friends don't see what I am doing and one more question will sony ban me???

powerking56

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
pikachu945 said:
so my friends don't see what I am doing and one more question will sony ban me???

I also wonder will sony ban you? I mean KaKaroto's CFW had no problems and nobody was banned so do we have the same kind of guarantee as that??

pikachu945

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
powerking56 said:
pikachu945 said:

I also wonder will sony ban you? I mean KaKaroto's CFW had no problems and nobody was banned so do we have the same kind of guarantee as that??

can I just make a new account if sony bans me? lol

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pikachu945 said:
powerking56 said:
pikachu945 said:

its a system ban just like 360

pikachu945

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:
pikachu945 said:
powerking56 said:
pikachu945 said:

yeah but the thing is this is not a jailbreak lol
should I revert to KaKaroto's firmware???
and is it the same as geohots?

powerking56

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
pikachu945 said:
Joe88 said:
pikachu945 said:
powerking56 said:
pikachu945 said:

yeah but the thing is this is not a jailbreak lol

I hope it is as simple as making a new account! lol

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
powerking56 said:
pikachu945 said:

You'll find out soon enough is sony will ban you for using geohot's custom firmware.

pikachu945

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BobTheJoeBob said:
powerking56 said:
pikachu945 said:

You'll find out soon enough is sony will ban you for using geohot's custom firmware.

is Kakarotos firmware is it the same as geohots?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D