Hardware Getting a laptop for B-Day, need to know a few things.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, Recently, ive gotten the AMAZING luck of getting a laptop for my birthday! However, im having problems. For one, im trying to score something under 570, but I also want an i5 with Win7, however, it seems that anything around that price with an i5 has Win8 stuck on it by default or its a refurb. either way, its bad. So I want to know a few things. First of all, whats a good place to look? Ive checked the big guys (New Egg, Tiger, Brandsmart) but they seem to not be fans of i5 (Ive barely found ANYTHING i5. Mostly i3 (too weak) and i7 (too expensive)). Second off, is Win8 really that bad? I mean, I hate how it looks and all but I could live with it for a few months if its able to game and doesnt lock me down too hard. I would probly change the OS later on anyway, but I would like to atleast open the damn thing and just start seeing how awesome my Steam games run on it. Thats really it.

Plz halp me.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 8 shouldn't influence your descion at all, since you can just install windows 7 over it. Actually I always install a clean is of windows on any of my computers since I hate dealing with all the bloatware and adwear that is assuming you dislike windows 8 desktop feature.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Windows 8 is very optimized compared to 7, and it'll boot and feel faster. Once you know your way around the UI you might find yourself doing things quicker (and if not, you could just get a start-menu replacement program). Also, it's as locked down as any previous version of Windows. Any person or dev that says otherwise are either referring to Windows RT (aka the ARM tablet version) or they're spewing BS.
But as Santee said, it really shouldn't be a deciding factor. Gaming is practically the same on 8 vs 7.

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no, gaming isn't the only reason 8 worries me. Its the fact the whole OS looks like it should be on a tablet. I like customizing my stuff to my my taste and reworking UI's and such. With the other Windows it was simple since it was all Desktop. I made my last PC set up like an XMB. Win 8 worries me because desktop doesn't seem to have the spotlight anymore.

Also, local retailers take me for an idiot who's going to grab the first laptop I see because it says gaming on it and eBay is full of refurbs.

Reactions: Count Duckula

CCNaru

Warn-free Since 2005
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like randomizer said if you're going to be gaming you need a GPU. it is much more important in most games go for a lower processor for a better GPU if you have to intel HD just wont cut it.
also if you dont plan on gaming i3 is probably plenty good enough get a better laptop overall with the money saved.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get a nice processor but no dedicated graphics, personally, for gaming, I'd say you purchased a flop. So don't do that D: Bit an i3 should suffice.

Next to that, nothing is wrong with refurbished models, usually. Don't fear them.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Just install 7 in place of 8 just remember to grab drivers first.

If your lucky you can use your old OEM win 7 key. Normally works for me! My current Packard Bell Limited Edition Easynote came pre loaded with vista but I use a 7 licence I got from a dead Toshiba Laptop!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
8 is NT kernel 6.2 (opposed to 7's NT 6.1) so Windows 7 drivers should work with it (as there weren't major driver model changes like between NT5 and NT6), unless the driver manufacturer was stupid and stuck some specific version check in there without accounting for backwards compatibility... but even then you can just grab the driver files out of the installer and tell the device manager to shove them right up inside itself.

Anyways I'm going to echo the "you want a dedicated GPU if you intend to do 3D gaming on it" statement, because if you get one without it, you're not going to be able to add it later.

The Milkman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I know I need a GPU. If I didnt I would have asked what I need. For what I plan on playing, a GPU isnt my primary concern. Second, I do plan on messing with different OS's later on. But I dont want to do that so early into my PCs lifetime. Thats wh y im asking how Win 8 operates. And thanks for the links Naru.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aside from actual game/driver support, I have heard that Windows 8 isn't too bad of a fit for laptops. It's desktops that just feel awkward with that system, without any tweaks to make it perform like Win7.

But installing a copy of Win7 is pretty easy. Just note which drivers you need to download, find a copy of the OS by any means you like, and go for it. I have a copy on my USB just in case I ever need Windows in a flash. However, take note of the software that is on your laptop. Shortcut keys and and things like that are sometimes controlled by a preinstalled program, so unless you want to set them up manually (if you even can) you may need to find a copy of that program. And that's not always possible, as I found out with my own laptop.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215662

Ive been looking at this one for a while. It seems good, what do you guys think?

Also, Rydian, mostly I want to play Source games with stability, like Portal 2 or CSS GO, and old games I missed out on last gen like New Vegas

I'll be honest with ya dude, Id advise ya to avoid Acer if you can, if not invest in a laptop cooling pad. In my time I have found that Acer make there laptops out of poor quality parts that lead to it giving up easy a year or two down the line.

Specs wise though it will get ya by (Hell ATM since my desktop is in storage I actually get by on a nvidia 8600m GS) just bear in mind with the lack of dedicated ram you may have to run at lower than native resolutions on some games, but the games you mention should be OK, My backup laptop with a Nvidia 8200m G could get away with New Vegas ya.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1