ROM Hack Getting Sprites from Raden Legacy on Steam via .bin (AKA Raiden Fighters Aces on XBox 360)

sebxb360

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I grew up playing Raiden Fighters Aces on the xbox360, I still have the 360 and the disk but I recently got the steam version in the hopes that i can extract the sprites through the .bin files.
Long story short this has been a multi month adventure, so any help is needed at this point.
I'm just running out of energy at this point.

A tool, a direction to a decoder, someone who already has the sprites, just something other than the wiki that doesn't even scratch the surface of available sprites.

I can get into the data and view it in Microsoft Visual Studio but need something to take that data and translate it and I keep hitting dead ends or dead threads with no luck on my part.

What I see in MVS:
00000010 1F 1F 1F 1F 1F 1F 1F 1F 1F 1F 1F 1F 1F 1F 1F 1F . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Alright it says it's a 50%/50% match between ICN "MagicDesk Icon" & Z "Pack compressed Data(old)"
I would guess there's a very good chance that it's just a compressed Magic Desk Icon then. I've never worked with Magic Desk Icons before but there's some software that can open them linked on this page: http://fileformats.archiveteam.org/wiki/Magic_Desk_icon
You might need to run it in DosBox.

I don't think I've ever worked with zpack files before either. I would try using this tool (it's command line based) with the command
Code:
zpack.exe -x *.bin
Then open whatever is spits out with the programs that can deal with Magic Desk Icons.

If that doesn't work it's probably a more complicated file format. I don't know how I would progress but I'd start by looking more into Magic Desk Icons.

Edit: deark (linked on the archiveteam site) seems to be able to handle Magic Desk Icons and can run on modern systems without Dosbox.

sebxb360

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would guess there's a very good chance that it's just a compressed Magic Desk Icon then. I've never worked with Magic Desk Icons before but there's some software that can open them linked on this page:
archiveteam Magic_Desk_icon
You might need to run it in DosBox.

I don't think I've ever worked with zpack files before either. I would try using this tool (it's command line based) with the command
Code:
zpack.exe -x *.bin
Then open whatever is spits out with the programs that can deal with Magic Desk Icons.

If that doesn't work it's probably a more complicated file format. I don't know how I would progress but I'd start by looking more into Magic Desk Icons.

Edit: deark (linked on the archiveteam site) seems to be able to handle Magic Desk Icons and can run on modern systems without Dosbox.
I haven't used Command Line in a while, are you willing to walk me through the basics on how to properly use Deark, can you link zpack.exe or is that included in Deark?

(Sorry if this is annoying I just want to do it the right way)

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
I haven't used Command Line in a while, are you willing to walk me through the basics on how to properly use Deark, can you link zpack.exe or is that included in Deark?

(Sorry if this is annoying I just want to do it the right way)
I haven't used Deark so I can't help with that.

I actually forgot to link the zpack tool in the other post (sorry)

Download this and extract is somewhere https://github.com/LeadRDRK/ZPack/releases/download/v2.0.3/zpack-windows-x64.zip
Open up Command Prompt and run
Code:
cd <path to zpack>
Where <path to zpack> is wherever you extract
For example:
Code:
cd C:\Users\sebxb360\Desktop\zpack-windows-x64
Move the .bin files from the game inro the same folder as where the zpack exe is
In Command Prompt run
Code:
zpack.exe -x *.bin
That should decompress the bin files. I don't know what the output file names will be though
Then you should be able to open the outputted files in Deark, if my assumptions about the .bin files are correct.

sebxb360

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is throwing an error when input zpack.exe -x *.bin and when I attempt to start the exe on it's own it doesn't open command prompt.

is there a step that I have missed or a dependancy I need?

'zpack.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo