Give NOOBS a break

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Look, I'm no NOOB at all and quite frankly hate the term, but I feel sorry for the guys who are just coming onto the scene and are generally looking for info from the forums.

It can be difficult enough just trying to find the right information and/or software without some elitist sausage jockey looking down his nose at them. I say god bless them for wanting to learn and in time they will reach a certain level and will pass on the information to the next bunch. And so the chain continues.

What these idiots forget, is they too were once at this point and were probably asking the same questions and making the same mistakes. Everybody has to start somewhere and without the support of the more experienced and knowledgable hackers/modders, then the information wouldn't get passed down the line.

We all share a common factor here on GBATemp, a thirst for knowledge, so for gods sake pass the chalice!
grog.gif

Does anyone else agree?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm not seeing people here as NOOBs but more as NEWBs
(but you pronounce almost the same)

And I don't mind answering them 100 times the same question, as I'm happy if I can help someone (and it raises my post count, lol)

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
I would agree, but almost every single question that is asked here is answered in the stickies, or recent threads.

If you join a forum and make a post within 10 minutes to ask a question, it sort of means that you haven't even taken the time to read any of the available material.

People today are just lazy.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are two kinds of new people- n00bs and newbs.

Newbs- this just means you're new. Nothing else. Hopefully you will be a fully fledged member one day and be well respected by the community. This is just a short length term. If you behave yourself, then you're cool.

n00bs- these are the kind of worthless new member who won't read the rules and make no attempts to add to the community. They often make stupid demands (like demanding DS emulators, homebrew, or translations be completed), ask stupid questions (like if the DS can have an N64 or PS2 emulator), and ask for roms. These people make no attempt to find out information on their own, and have no common sense at all. They also often complain and flame users. I remember one member called Gutentag when Chrono Trigger DS came out. He asked for the rom, terrorized the cheat department for a piracy bypass, and then flamed a user (now supermod) over his tastes in games.

So if you behave and continue to make a good name for yourself, you will be respected. Newb is not a word to be feared. I was once one. But I was never a n00b because I never asked stupid questions or terrorized anyone. Have some common sense and respect for fellow Tempers, it'll get you ahead quickly.
wink.gif

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind helping newbs who are here to look for info and contribute when possible. What I dont like is the noobs who could care less for the rules and ask for ROMS, or the Noobs, that ask a question
such as:

"How do i hack the wii?"

When there is a sticky 2 post above with the same title.

Other than that I dont mind helping people that are here to stay and help enhance the community.
smile.gif

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
granville said:
There are two kinds of new people- n00bs and newbs.

Newbs- this just means you're new. Nothing else. Hopefully you will be a fully fledged member one day and be well respected by the community. This is just a short length term. If you behave yourself, then you're cool.

n00bs- these are the kind of worthless new member who won't read the rules and make no attempts to add to the community. They often make stupid demands (like demanding DS emulators, homebrew, or translations be completed), ask stupid questions (like if the DS can have an N64 or PS2 emulator), and ask for roms. These people make no attempt to find out information on their own, and have no common sense at all. They also often complain and flame users. I remember one member called Gutentag when Chrono Trigger DS came out. He asked for the rom, terrorized the cheat department for a piracy bypass, and then flamed a user (now supermod) over his tastes in games.

So if you behave and continue to make a good name for yourself, you will be respected. Newb is not a word to be feared. I was once one. But I was never a n00b because I never asked stupid questions or terrorized anyone. Have some common sense and respect for fellow Tempers, it'll get you ahead quickly.
wink.gif
I remember him very well....That guy gave me so much trouble.....He had bunch of alternate accounts, and he just didn't want to give up!
I don't think I've ever seen such an awful topic like that Chrono Trigger release thread!
smile.gif

And yeah, I have no problems with the new members, I always do my best to help someone in need, but when people register to post questions such as, "How much is EZ 3-in-1? Is it expensive?" At that moment I would really like to suspend/ban that member without any further questions asked..
I mean, is it really that hard to google EZ 3-in-1 and check prices for yourself?! It would really take far less time then actually writing a thread about it!

And examples go on and on.........

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I absolutely hate the pseudo-elitism some forum users have whenever they see a n00b doing n00bish things. But there's a reason why they do it in first place: it is so THAT other n00b, who hadn't even coughed up the courage to make a single post yet, already knows he shouldn't be so lazy before even stepping in the minefield.
In fact, this even goes for showing how defensive new people can be: lots of users (and not just on this board) already introduce themselves CLAIMING they are noobs! Gosh, when people make fun of you it's not about if you have 2 or 2000 posts, it's about if you even cared abouth searching for yourself or making it clear what is it your request. Nobody likes helpless people. I mean, at least check the goddamn first page before opening a new topic, Christ's sake!

I generally tend to help some of these people, but I'm not afraid to step in a few toes if it's more than visible that this one user is a complete lazy-ass who just thinks the whole forum is his own's Q&A playground.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't mind newbs, but I dislike(not hate) noobs, especially those who join just to ask for roms or a translation request, then leave. Hmm I see a difference between newbs and noobs... MOST newbs make introduction topics while noobs just appear out of nowhere... Now was I a noob or a newb?....
tongue.gif

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raika said:
I don't mind newbs, but I dislike(not hate) noobs, especially those who join just to ask for roms or a translation request, then leave. Hmm I see a difference between newbs and noobs... MOST newbs make introduction topics while noobs just appear out of nowhere... Now was I a noob or a newb?....
tongue.gif
^^ n00b
tongue.gif

on topic i dont mind polite newbs, but i hate R4 nut hugging n00bs

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The worst kind of n00b is the Smashf@g. they only appear on nights with a full moon or close to a release of a steroid pumped nintendo game. like super smash brothers.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sstew said:
I don't mind helping newbs who are here to look for info and contribute when possible. What I dont like is the noobs who could care less for the rules and ask for ROMS, or the Noobs, that ask a question
such as:

"How do i hack the wii?"

When there is a sticky 2 post above with the same title.

Other than that I dont mind helping people that are here to stay and help enhance the community.
smile.gif

Hehehe Agreed, i hate those threads. I also hate those ones like "which flashcard should i buy" when GBAtemp has actually reviewed most if not all of them, and when there is one dedicated thread for that.

Edragon

Trophies
XP
Country
Raika said:
tongue.gif

Erm.. i didnt have any intro topic.. so im a noob
frown.gif

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Edragon said:
Raika said:
tongue.gif

Erm.. i didnt have any intro topic.. so im a noob
frown.gif
Neither did I
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Enjoy