Hacking Going back to OFW: Connect storage media that contains update data of version 2.70

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get the message: Connect storage media that contains update data of version 2.70 or later, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at the same time. For more information on how to obtain update data, refer to the SIE Web site for your region. Any clue on where I have to go or what I have to do next? I also went into the DEX/CEX Option of Rebug Toolbox and hit X on "Rewrite Target ID in Flash" just a heads up I figured I'd give you all you need to know. I am on:
Debug Toolbox-MULTI Version: 02.03.02
PS3 System: Firmware 4.84
IP address: 10.0.0.92
LV2 Kernel: CEX
Target Type: DEX COBRA: 8.1
LV2 Kernel is on CEX & Target Type is on DEX As you can see. I'm having a bit of an issue and am unsure as to what to do. I really want OFW back on my console because I put a lot of money into buying games off the store.
Don't want any of that being jeopardized or being banned basically, just want a fresh UPDATED system. No mods. Please someone help, as I don't know what or where to turn to.
Easy steps (preferably step-by-step) instructions would be GREATLY appreciated.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
change the target type back to cex, then try to install official firmware. I suggest you reformat as well, then redownload your content. dex (even though you're not really on there) will show the minimum firmware in the recovery menu I believe. can you not start the system? if you can't, you might want to try another hdd. that firmware sounds like you're using a NOR, either late phat or early slim.

Reactions: Magsor

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question 1: How do I change the target type back to CEX?
Question 2: Where do I get OFW? (Every link I tried kept coming up grey when I inserted a flash drive, or my PSP)
Answer 1: I can start the system it's fully functional I just can't get anywhere when I try to update. It pushes out that message.
Question 3: How do I format it, and should I change it back to CEX first? (basically asking the same question twice) because I don't know how to convert back to CEX from DEX.
Here's a little more information @godreborn

Serial on back of the console:
CG219435433-CECH-2001A

PS3 specifications

Model Flash
CECH-20xxA 1x 16MB NOR

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can change target type back to cex in rebug toolbox.
you can install the latest firmware in recovery or xmb. it sounds like you're on an older firmware if your cobra is 8.1.
you can format the drive in the recovery menu. it will make you reinstall the firmware, but do all that after you install official firmware.

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: I can change target type back to cex in rebug toolbox? Using that same button the "hit X on "Rewrite Target ID in Flash" option/button?
Let's take it one step at a time. @godreborn

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@godreborn Just waiting on you, as I don't want to hit any wrong buttons. What option am I looking for? Under what category?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Figured out how to get both to show up as CEX. Quick process. Now you said to do what next @godreborn
Install the latest firmware in recovery or xmb? I'll give it a go. The installation of the new firmware is to be done BEFORE formatting correct?

EDIT: Okay I'm on 4.87 OFW now @godreborn should I give it a format? Or just delete the apps that are considered "risky?" ie. Rebug Toolbox lol (still shows up under the PS3 category under Game).

Last edited by BigDaddyWeaves,

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either is fine.
Thanks for your help, I hope to continue using my PS3 for a long time. Glad I finally did this now I can buy more off the store without worrying about being banned. (All I ever really wanted to do was give Sony my money lol) they push out a lot of great games. (I don't mean Sony themselves but you know the developers and game creators etc.) I shall now leave you alone lol. Only one thing left to test and that's signing in to the PSN...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast