Golden Sun 3 (DS) announced

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lufia 2 was a rather popular SNES RPG. I never got into it, but liked the first one on SNES. I didn't like the whole scenario where monsters moved only when you do thing it had going. I actually preferred random battles to that setup. I really like it when you can see enemies on the field instead of being randomly shot into battle every few seconds, but I don't like it when they move WITH your movements. Here's my preference in monster battles for RPG's-

Viewable monsters >>> Random Battles >>>>>>>> Viewable monsters that move only when you do.

But I loved Golden Sun. There was one dungeon that has a distinct love-hate feel to it. Airs Rock in Golden Sun The Lost Age. The dungeon is one of the longest ones I've ever played in my life and gets amazingly overwhelming. That turned me off, but the puzzles were the most clever and dynamic I've EVER seen in a game. In fact ALL the dungeons felt like this in both games. I can assure you I've played more games than you can shake a stick at, so I know good level design and puzzles when I see them. The two Golden Sun games have some of the best I've EVER seen.

And yes, I can respect people for not thinking it's good. I'm that kind of person who doesn't mind another view at it. Mindless anti-fanboy bashing is the only non tolerable thing for me. I think Toni Plutonij and I both remember this guy from the Chrono Trigger DS release thread who started bashing the game off topic for no reason at all and attacked us both for liking it. He was called Gutentag or something and was banned at least 3 times or more and kept coming back for more. It's the kind of people like that who have no say in the matter. They bash games to incite flames, not to give their true opinion on something or carry on reasonable conversation.

Glacius0 appears to be one of the respectful ones. He has stated his opinion without bashing others, admitted the game has good parts, and made it clear he is not an arrogant jerk about it like some people. The point is that a huge majority of gamers can like a game, and some don't. Big deal. Both kinds of people can just enjoy their own things. It's not going to ruin the game for you or rape your childhood if someone doesn't like a game as much as you.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how many of you guys know this, but someone made a speech pak for GS1 that you install as an ips patch. Might make GS1 more interesting for people who haven't played it yet and are curious.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=141064&pid=

Just throwing that bit of info out there.

Personally, I'm pretty burnt on RPG's ever since the C64 days, but that's just me. I'll tell ya though, even if I don't actually play through the whole game, I'll give GS DS a look because it reminds me of FF7 with those monsters busting up out of the ground. That's the kind of stuff they need to do in more DS RPG's to get me interested in them.

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
granville said:
And yes, I can respect people for not thinking it's good. I'm that kind of person who doesn't mind another view at it. Mindless anti-fanboy bashing is the only non tolerable thing for me.

The point is that a huge majority of gamers can like a game, and some don't. Big deal. Both kinds of people can just enjoy their own things. It's not going to ruin the game for you or rape your childhood if someone doesn't like a game as much as you.

*golf clap*

QUOTE(Glacius0 @ Jun 4 2009, 07:25 PM) @ everyone that responded to me being disappointed with GS.

Great responses guys. I've read it with pleasure, and it clears thing up a bit for me. And to clear things up on my side; I've finished GS1 and got almost all weapons and djini. It was my 3rd game for GBA and I bought it right when it came out. I had very high expectations. I do not think it's a bad game; in my opinion it's a good game but definitely not great. I realize now that I value story in RPGs very highly and most of you value gameplay more. Chrono Trigger was indeed in a way too easy, however it didn't bother me. Thinking back, GS1 did have some nice puzzles, I just didn't care for them much. Throughout I was just hoping the story would pick up but it didn't. Constantly waiting for that and ending up being disappointed probably worsened the experience for me.

Lastly, I'm curious if there's some people here that like Lufia 2. It had some good puzzles too. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of people that love both games.

Thinking back on it, you may have a point with GS1's story being a bit of a letdown, but I hardly notice that since I think of 1 and 2 as one big game, where 1 is the prologue.
I've known some hardcore Lufia fans, but I never really fell in love with it myself (only started playing it on emulator, and not during my childhood), but I see the appeal.
Monsters only moving when you do is a typically roguelike feature (and I adore (most) roguelikes (yay ADOM/DF/Incursion)); think Izuna or Shiren for DS, and add the fact that when you touch a monster it turns into a turn based battle.
The Gb Lufia's were ok, I tried hardest to like those. The snes ones were ok too, but the GBA Lufia just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.
All in all they just smacked too much of primitive console rpg for me to really get in there.
But I don't play RPGs for the story, or the puzzles, or the gameplay. I play them for the character designs
smileipb2.png

Offtopicness aside. 2010 is a ways away from now
unsure.gif
I hope there'll be more adepts (like I said before, at least a Jupiter to round it out) and I HOPE STRONGLY that Alex won't be the final boss. Him surviving all that time, or dying and turning into some monstrous force of destruction would feel like such a cheap endgame fight. New kids on the block all who the hell are you supposed to be and why do you hate us?
I don't even know what the story is going to be here. 1 and 2 were all about saving the world from slow decay by re-releasing Alchemy into the Weyard. Congratulations! You got your Alchemy. Now don't make the plot about some asshole taking Alchemy and trying to conquer/destroy the world, because that's exactly why the Wise One gave Felix and co. such a hard time at Mars Lighthouse. Now THAT was a final battle worthy of praise. 8 party members with all the Djinns, all the Summons, and whatever combination of classes and equipment you thought was good, going all out against a three headed draCRUEL RUIN CRUEL RUIN. Good times
yaynds.gif

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Glacius0 said:
Great responses guys. I've read it with pleasure, and it clears thing up a bit for me. And to clear things up on my side; I've finished GS1 and got almost all weapons and djini. It was my 3rd game for GBA and I bought it right when it came out. I had very high expectations. I do not think it's a bad game; in my opinion it's a good game but definitely not great. I realize now that I value story in RPGs very highly and most of you value gameplay more. Chrono Trigger was indeed in a way too easy, however it didn't bother me. Thinking back, GS1 did have some nice puzzles, I just didn't care for them much. Throughout I was just hoping the story would pick up but it didn't. Constantly waiting for that and ending up being disappointed probably worsened the experience for me.
I think the reason why nobody of us has talked about story in our posts is that we take for granted that Golden Suns Story is awesome in that aspect. Imo it's better than Chrono Triggers. I think the only RPG that can match Golden Sun in terms of story is FF7. In fact they are extremely alike. Both start slow and give you the impression to have a generic story but after a lot of twists and turns the story unfolds to be awesome and you even have difficulty keeping up.
Golden Sun really picks up in the second game, the first one is merely foreplay. So if you've only played that it's no wonder you were disappointed.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm tempted to give GS2 a shot now, but I don't remember the exact details about GS1 story because it's been such a long time. Is the GS2 story understandable for people that didn't play the first one?

As for reading half a book... I bought a full product, I paid a full price, and the product didn't make me want to buy the sequel after playing for 30 hours or so. You can say GS2 is better, but I don't think it's unreasonable to see the two games as separate products.

Regarding Lufia, to prevent confusion (though most of you got it right), I meant Lufia 2 on SNES (which is the first Lufia game in Europe). I think the game may be too slow and there is too much grinding for people to enjoy the game nowadays, but it had some very good puzzles and an interesting story (which took a while to pick up though). By now, unless you love old-school RPGs I wouldn't even recommend playing it.

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Glacius0 said:
I'm tempted to give GS2 a shot now, but I don't remember the exact details about GS1 story because it's been such a long time. Is the GS2 story understandable for people that didn't play the first one?

As for reading half a book... I bought a full product, I paid a full price, and the product didn't make me want to buy the sequel after playing for 30 hours or so. You can say GS2 is better, but I don't think it's unreasonable to see the two games as separate products.

Regarding Lufia, to prevent confusion (though most of you got it right), I meant Lufia 2 on SNES (which is the first Lufia game in Europe). I think the game may be too slow and there is too much grinding for people to enjoy the game nowadays, but it had some very good puzzles and an interesting story (which took a while to pick up though). By now, unless you love old-school RPGs I wouldn't even recommend playing it.

Old school indeed.

You're absolutely right about the half-a-book analogy. It's not unreasonable to see the two games as seperate products since you DO in fact have to shell out cash for both. But in this day and age, GOOD LUCK finding GS2 for sale anywhere outside of eBay. Downloading the rom and playing it on pc/ds/psp/ipod (
smileipb2.png
) is pretty much the easiest way this day and age.

Let me break the story of GS1 down:
-Saturos and Menardi are being dicks and convince a bunch of kids to crush their home town Indiana Jones style. People die and/or get swept away in a river.
-Giant floating eyeball is being a dick and gets said kids exiled to stop Saturos and Menardi from lighting the lighthouses.
-2 lit lighthouses later, the kids take out their frustration at being failures at their mission out on the SaturosMenardiDragon
-THE END

(No wonder you were unsatisfied. Do yourself a favor and try GS2 if you're up for it.)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glacius0, in case you do pick up GS2, don't worry about not remembering the story of the first game. There is a text scroll summary in the beginning of the sequel that recaps some of the more important parts of the first game. A wise move on Camelot's part for newcomers of the series. I can tell you that I have under certain circumstances come back to a game I didn't like much at first and "rediscover" it. Games that grew on me personally include- Zelda Ocarina of Time, Earthbound, and Mario RPG. All of those bored me when I first played them, but later became some of my favorites. Mario RPG really DID become my all time favorite game. You might like a game more after coming back to it. Or you just might like GS2 better. I found it had a very different vibe from the original game (i like the two games pretty equally though).

And to celebrate the new game, I have finally made a new avatar and sig. My old ones have been on way too long. So yay for new Golden Sun DS freshness!
tongue.gif

13philip13

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
im all hyped up now... i've beated both games

now i want to play GS 2 on my gpspkai emulator but it lags really bad
please...tell me how to fix !!!!!!!

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
13philip13 said:
im all hyped up now... i've beated both games

now i want to play GS 2 on my gpspkai emulator but it lags really bad
please...tell me how to fix !!!!!!!

Turn up frame skip, that's all you can do. The emulation is not perfect.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can't wait till GS3 comes! Although I must say, I was disappointed at first when I saw the 3D graphics, but halfway I changed my mind and I really, really like them!
smile.gif
Especially how the camera moves around, it's so epic-like.

I also wonder what the story will be about, and I too, was very surprised to learn the characters you may see on the art cover and game footage are not actually Isaac, Garet and Mia but their descendants. And they are three, which quite breaks the tradition, but on the other hand, maybe it's got a connection with it being the third installement?
wink.gif

I really loved both GS and GS:TLA, and to be absolutely honest, I much more prefer GS 1. Though GS 2 certainly does have more storyline twists and is longer, with more secrets, like someone else said here it's got a different vibe and I like the vibe from GS 1 more. The story is heart-touching as well, there are also secrets and minigames and it feels like a classical story/beginning. Some say that the story isn't so good, but I just like the "old" characters better and in my opinion I liked the challenges and conversations in GS 1 more. GS 2 should have had more conversations betweens the two groups, I think, but didn't, that did disappoint me a bit. Plus I hope that GS 3 will answer questions left by GS 2.
yaynds.gif

I remember someone way back asking who did pair up with whom, IMHO Garet + Jenna is a pretty clear one. Who followed the conversations in GS2, remembers why. And Felix + Sheba did seem like a pair, albeit more like a Platonic one. Not really as in a couple. Anywhooo.
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Um, from the game footage, if you look closely, it looks like from the middle, as if there's only a trailer on it, and not like he's really playing the game. And only during the first half he looks like he's playing it >.> Pityyyy. We Want Demozzz!!

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fel said:
EDIT: Um, from the game footage, if you look closely, it looks like from the middle, as if there's only a trailer on it, and not like he's really playing the game. And only during the first half he looks like he's playing it >.> Pityyyy. We Want Demozzz!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm3-RRgXtnI

^That is the game footage from someone playing it. He clearly controls the game using the buttons when the character walks around that bridge area. The rest is demo footage telling what the battles will look like. There are no programmed menus or anything yet. This is perfect confirmation though that you can control with the buttons.

haures

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys,
It' been since E3 that we have no info of this game in production.
Now I've found something new on CAMELOT official site but I can't read Japanese... can anyone translate this page? Google traslator mess up everything!
Here is the news: Click here and Click Here
Thanks!
And a little new image... HERE!

EDIT: sorry, just realized it's the wrong section... can anyone move it to DS Games?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I am guessing that since Golden Sun 3 is completely new, there will be no old save bonus if you stick a Golden Sun 2 cart with a completed save in your GBA slot, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa https://youtu.be/BKLXOGhXrj4?si=4kXpeyCfxwL_k3qC