Good Dubbed Anime

Danny600kill

xD
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a anime to watch and for some reason I want a change so I want to watch something in English :D Yes everyone knows subbed is better but for once I want to know what there saying by listening not reading

I have watched Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and recently the first few episodes of DBZ Kai ( Only the uncut,uncensored version ) so any other suggestions would be appreciated

Oh and if possible could you give me a brief summary of what the anime is about :P thanks guys

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darker Than Black had good English subs, I watched the first season in English and the second one in Japanese (no English dubs available) and they were both equally good in terms of voice acting (although I prefer the English).

That's about it, I think it's better to find a good anime and then worry about dubs than find a good dubbed anime and worry about whether it's actually good or not.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Baccano
- My all time favourite, it's about a group of people that are connected somehow. I can't really say much without spoiling (and it's been ages since I've watched it) but it's a mix between humor, gore and mystery... on a train.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
- I haven't finished watching, I've only barely started watching (up to episode 13) since I haven't bought the next set of DVDs.

Eden of the East
- A guy wakes up in Washington, with a gun and a phone, naked and can't remember anything. Following some events he finds out his phone has access to a person called Juiz who will do anything he says (literally). There are only 13 episodes and two movies. I've yet to watch the movies since I haven't bought them yet but I recommend the anime any time!

and generally anything by Funimation is a good dub.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Baccano - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4897
Outlaw star - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=171
yu yu hakusho - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=312
Angel beats - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6564
mushishi - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=3433
trigun - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=53
Welcome to the NHK - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4121

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I believe Durarara has completed its dubbed season. :unsure:
Not out in UK (yet) if Danny wants to buy his animu.

All UK has of Durarara is subbed only DVDs (the cases are the only good thing about them) which have sloppy subs and poor PAL conversion until we get the dub version.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soul Eater! I'm only 12 episodes in (out of 51) but I like it.

Basically, there are people that are "weapons", and "meisters" are people that control them. They work together as partners to stop evil humans from devouring souls and turning into "kishin" (an evil spirit). Also, a weapon that eats 99 kishin egg souls and 1 witch soul gets to become a weapon for "Death" himself, so that's another little thing they are trying to accomplish. There's a lot of common names being used in this series, like Medusa, Ragnarok, Death, Masamune, but it's pretty cool.

Not for everyone though.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I have tried to watch a number of different anime dubbed.

I've hated every one of them.

There has been one single anime dub that hasn't made me want to tear my hair, and that was Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Even that wasn't perfect, Edward was obnoxious at times, but most of the voices were damn perfect. Better than their Japanese counterparts even. It's a great series too. Give it a look.

Oh yeah, and a summary. It's about two kids, Edward and Alphonse Elric. They're both alchemists, which in this series might as well be magicians.

ShadowNeko003

~Nyah~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trigun. Five words: Deep Space Future Planet Gun Action.

It's about a guy, Vash the Stampede. He has a bounty of 60 billion double dollars (the currency.) He is classified as a humaniod typhoon, which is why he has a huge bounty on him.

Exkorath

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fullmetal alchemist, fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, bleach, soul eater, death note, naruto, and naruto shipudden are all awesome animes. I have watched all of them and have to say i love them all. I really don't feel like describing all of those cuz that would be a pain.

Note: fullmetal alchemist is the tv show and fullmetal alchemist: Brotherhood is based on the manga. Naruto shipudden is a continuation of naruto.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
fullmetal alchemist, fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, bleach, soul eater, death note, naruto, and naruto shipudden are all awesome animes. I have watched all of them and have to say i love them all. I really don't feel like describing all of those cuz that would be a pain.

Note: fullmetal alchemist is the tv show and fullmetal alchemist: Brotherhood is based on the manga. Naruto shipudden is a continuation of naruto.
Let me elaborate. Fullmetal Alchemist is the first anime adaptation of the manga of the same name. However, it started too early, and quickly caught up with the manga in terms of plot. Instead of taking a hiatus to let the manga get them more material to use, they just made up the story for the rest of the series. Let me tell you, it's weird as shit.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was a more recent adaptation that set out to correct the flaws of the original. Brotherhood followed the original story to the letter, and the animation quality was far superior. I would highly recommend Brotherhood over the original. Less weird and disturbing plotlines, far more closure, and all around more well done.

They both have excellent dubs, and most of the characters between them are voiced by the same people.

Exkorath

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Let me elaborate. Fullmetal Alchemist is the first anime adaptation of the manga of the same name. However, it started too early, and quickly caught up with the manga in terms of plot. Instead of taking a hiatus to let the manga get them more material to use, they just made up the story for the rest of the series. Let me tell you, it's weird as shit.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was a more recent adaptation that set out to correct the flaws of the original. Brotherhood followed the original story to the letter, and the animation quality was far superior. I would highly recommend Brotherhood over the original. Less weird and disturbing plotlines, far more closure, and all around more well done.

They both have excellent dubs, and most of the characters between them are voiced by the same people.
Exactly, i just didn't feel like explaining that. :)

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor (2005) - My Personal Favorite

"A test type Zoanoid, disguised as a normal man, escapes from an organization called the Chronos Corporation with a bag containing three items called the Guyver Units. Chronos soldiers attempt to recover the units from the test-type but are unsuccessful; the test-type was discovered with a grenade in his possession and used the grenade, killing himself and scattering the Guyver Units around the area. Meanwhile, one of the lost Guyver Units lands near two young high school students, Shō Fukamachi and Tetsurō Segawa. Curious as to what the unit is, Shō accidentally activates the unit which then merges with him, becoming "Guyver I." Now, Shō must fight for his life against Zoanoids sent by the evil Chronos Corporation, sometimes going to extremes in order to recover the three Guyver Units."

Devil May Cry

"Devil May Cry follows the adventures of the demon hunter Dante who himself is half demon and half human. Dante is hired through his own business named "Devil May Cry". The characters are based off of the popular capcom playstation 2 games"

Fatal Fury

"In Southtown, young Terry and Andy Bogard are out with their master, Tung Fu Rue and their father, Jeff Bogard. Jeff is distracted by a group of poor children who beg him for money and a pretty, young flower girl as part of an attempt on his life by four attackers, one of whom succeeds in stabbing him. He is then confronted by his old rival Geese Howard, and dies of his wounds. In front of his grave, Tung makes the boys promise that in ten years they will reunite as much stronger men to punish Geese."

Death Note

"Yagami Light is an intelligent young adult who resents crime and corruption in the world. His life undergoes a drastic change when he discovers the Death Note, a notebook that contains five written instructions"

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am much the same as you TC. I prefer dub over sub 9 times out of 10. Some good ones are Gurreen Laggan, Death Note and Zoids. That said, I dont have very high standards so feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I am much the same as you TC. I prefer dub over sub 9 times out of 10. Some good ones are Gurreen Laggan, Death Note and Zoids. That said, I dont have very high standards so feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.
>Gurren Lagann's dub
I'm so sorry.

Sloshy

Trophies
Website
piecesoflint.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why some people like subbed over dubbed. Unless the translations are totally different when comparing them, it really doesn't make a positive difference at all and it only makes it harder to enjoy the show by making you look at the bottom of the screen the whole time. Now, if this is a 4kids dub where they change EVERYTHING, then subbed is always better. Anyways...

Cowboy Bebop
This is one of the most critically acclaimed anime of all time, and for a good reason. The acting in the dub is spectacular, the writing is intelligent and mature, and the soundtrack is really great. It also had one of the most memorable endings I've ever seen in an anime... That's saying a lot. This show is basically a space western, but every episode is just so different from the last that it really stands out. It's only 26 episodes as well so you don't have to dedicate a lot of time to it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
There are a few characters in the dub that sound awful (mostly the secondary characters that don't matter at all), but all of the main characters, especially by the end of the series, do a fantastic job. The series is basically a hyper-symbolic, post-apocalyptic mecha anime involving depressed teenagers. It's pretty confusing at times, but it all comes together in the end (especially the movie End of Evangelion). You can also watch the movie adaptations of the series which were made with recent animation technology (and thus look incredible), Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22. The movies branch away from the main series and have a different storyline but they're both very good. The original, though, is a classic and is highly praised by both western and eastern critics.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Do not watch the original: Brotherhood is basically a more accurate version of the original anime (as in, much, much closer to the manga) with better animation and story. It's a very new anime and the most recent volume of it just came out on DVD a couple of months ago, and the first 3 volumes are on Netflix to watch instantly. It's very, very good and the characters are very well-developed and thought out. There is at least one major plot twist in every episode so it always keeps you on your toes. The music is also very good as well.

Gundam SEED
This is the first anime I really watched from beginning to end and it was a landmark for its time. The animation is pretty outdated now and it looks cheap at parts, but the story is very well done and the drama only increases with each episode.

Gundam 00
This is another very recent anime. Contrary to the name, the only relation this has to SEED above is that the characters pilot giant robots. This version of the show, in the first season, has a slow-ish start but by the end it becomes so incredibly dramatic and intense that it's really worth watching to get there. Watch this in HD if you can because the animation is amazing at times. The second season, though, isn't quite as great as the first but both are definitely worth watching.

FLCL
From the studio that made Neon Genesis Evangelion comes the weirdest and most deep anime I've ever watched. At 6 episodes long it doesn't take a lot to get through, but you'll want to watch it at least twice to get the full picture of it all. The entire anime is basically one really, really drugged-up metaphor for puberty and growing up to become more mature. Sure, some things are just silly gags with no deep meaning, but if you pay really close attention you'll see some striking details. The soundtrack is also incredible on this one and I'd suggest getting it even if you don't watch the series. This series is also on Netflix in its entirety.

Sgt. Frog
Another series on Netflix is Sgt. Frog, basically a comedy which is sorta like Invader Zim in presence (alien comes to earth and absolutely fails at taking it over), but about cute frogs. It's absolutely laugh-out-loud hilarious at times and it makes a lot of pop culture references (the main character is obsessed with Gundam models, for example). Give this one a shot if you have the time, you won't regret it.

ANY FILMS BY STUDIO GHIBLI
Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Ponyo (to a lesser extent), Whisper of the Heart, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind, etc. Watch all of these; they're some of the best animated films ever made, including western animation.

Gurren Lagann
This one, I'm honestly a little mixed about. It's a very good show with great animation, characters, plot, and music (and it's made by the studio that made Eva and FLCL), but it has much too much fanservice to make it a really good choice. If you don't mind lots of random T&A and an entire episode dedicated to going to a bath house with little to no story development, then you'll like this one. The opening theme is great, as well as the second-half ending theme.

I hope this is a great list to get you started! :)

EDIT:

Code Geass
Made by the same studio as Gundam, Sgt. Frog and Bebop, Code Geass is a psychological drama that really makes you think. The main character has an ability to make anybody do what he wants them to do, but it only works once. This causes some complications, to say the least, as he tries to start a rebellion against the government. This has some T&A in it like Gurren Lagann, but not quite as much of it. It's actually very intelligent and has some really, really great plot twists in the end of the first season. I haven't seen the second season, but from what I hear it's not nearly as great as the first, like with Gundam 00.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1