Good firewall/internet security software?

TaMs

Randomizer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
My AVG killed itself and wants that i'll buy it.
So i want to get new firewall or full internet security software.
Any recommendations? I'd like it to be pretty light and it shouldn't block everything and ask for everything what you do.
biggrin.gif

Just because my computer is not the latest one and it's annoying when firewall starts to whine about winrar trying to start notepad.
And i'm running windows vista 32bit atm, but i'm probably changing back to xp soon, just because i'm starting to play some games again with pc, so i'll need lighter operating system. (or buy a new computer) : D

Thanks in advance.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the best firewall is an old pc running smoothwall, a linux distro made to be a network firewall. I have a router firewall and smoothwall machine, and keep windows defender+firewall on. No antivirus resident protection, just weekly boot scans

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For antivirus I was going to suggest using AOL's (don't kill me
tongue.gif
) free version of Kaspersky, but they appear to have stopped that now and the version they provided wasn't Vista compatible. They are currently providing McAfee for free, but it'll be the home version which I haven't used and have heard a few small complaints about. The enterprise version of mcafee pwns though, so it could be worth a try if you're after free, legal, decent antivirus.

I'm also on the look out for a decent free firewall, but until I find a decent one I'm going to recommend a decent router and just making sure that you don't install anything dodgy. If you are a bit paranoid about just using a router then you would probably be best off setting up an old box with Smoothwall, or buying a dedicated hardware firewall (which will be expensive, but I recommend SonicWALL).

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm still using Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6, it hasn't been updated in years because the company got taken over but I haven't found a free one that's good enough to replace it yet. Didn't like Sunbelt Kerio (can't remember why now), and Zonealarm can go to hell. I haven't looked in a while though, don't know if there's any better free ones that've come out in the past year or so.

As a side note it does ask you about everything at first (that's why I like it), but in that question there's a tick box where you can say "always allow" and it remembers it just fine.

TaMs

Randomizer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thanks for answers, Just installed xp and kaspersky, but kaspersky didn't like steam and my key awas blacklisted so i'm now trying that comodo. never heard of it, but sounds ok.

zatelli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Or Mac
tongue.gif

Why anyone still wants to use Windows is beyond me..

Or whack the damn computer... especially if it's a Mac... No need for anti-virii /security bloatware anymore...
rofl2.gif

Back on track: ZoneAlarm Security Suite could do you the trick. Test drive it before you decide which solution suits you.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA63mm5FnMo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flostmediawiki.com...