jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
So i was hoping to pick up a decent midi keyboard for making some tunes via quebase for xmas. Anyone got any recomendations for me? Wass looking at somewhere near 300? Never really made music before but i was hoping to get into it. I can play guitar and kinda drums. Thanks

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dunno, I always use my Korg PA60. 300 pounds won't buy you one of those though. I''d like to know this myself though as I am quite interested in it (not living @ home now so I don't have my keyboard here).

silent sniper

!dennaB
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you're gonna make music with a keyboard, get some piano lessons. Although it's actually very hard to learn an instrument even if you really want to and are really committed. I've been playing piano for 5 years and bass guitar for about 8 months. With piano, I have no commitment and don't want to play and rarely practice, I'm only a level 4. With bass, it's all I ever really do at home, I try to play it for as long as possible every day, I'm prob the piano equivalent to a level 5.

So yea, in conclusion: takes commitment, a lot.

RayorDragonFall

I see you've played knifey-spoony before.
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive been playing piano for over 7 years, and I'm going to tell you something: If you want to be decent, think that your going to need years for that. But hey, you can learn a few chords in minutes, and you'll be able to input each voice at a time.
I reckon making something simple should be easy once you get around with using the program.

Thing about this is that these programs tend to "always have something more to know about". It's like photoshop, you could try to learn all about it, but I think the best way would be just mucking about, a few tutorials and you'll learn by simply using it. It depends on how much time you want to spend really.

And about making music, its the same with piano, it all depends on where you want to go.

Why don't you actually try to narrow your search down, apart from the money you want to spend:
What about the type of key or the ammount of keys you want?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
RayorDragonFall said:
Ive been playing piano for over 7 years, and I'm going to tell you something: If you want to be decent, think that your going to need years for that. But hey, you can learn a few chords in minutes, and you'll be able to input each voice at a time.
I reckon making something simple should be easy once you get around with using the program.

Thing about this is that these programs tend to "always have something more to know about". It's like photoshop, you could try to learn all about it, but I think the best way would be just mucking about, a few tutorials and you'll learn by simply using it. It depends on how much time you want to spend really.

And about making music, its the same with piano, it all depends on where you want to go.

Why don't you actually try to narrow your search down, apart from the money you want to spend:
What about the type of key or the ammount of keys you want?
Generally I suppose at LEAST he would want 61 keys, though 88 is preferable (though a little big, 61 should do fine anyway). As for my own preference I certainly want weighted keys, and if possible with aftertouch (though that might be a bit expensive). A little effects stick would be nice too naturally.

He wouldn't need all that though, just a simple keyboard (maybe weighted is still nice for him though) with 61 keys should be more then enough.

Btw, that Korg midi keyboard pointed out above seems pretty nice. Too expensive for my budget but it does seem very nice for general composing work (though I have to say I personally don't like the fact that it has only 3x7 (+black) keys.

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you're planning on making music primarily with your computer, which it sounds like you are, you really dont need all those octaves on your keyboard, 2 or 3 will do, you dont particularly need any sound banks or fx on the keyboard aswell, i would advise just getting a Midi Controller Keyboard to start with and using that to play the sounds in wahtever audio app you're gonna use along with vsti's etc... You can then add external outboard midi sound modules to expand your setup as you so want, when u want.

If you're an aspiring pianist then sure get the full length keyboard, but really, all the musicians i know, and i know musicians in the games industry and recording industry, more than often just have a controller keyboard as their master, for live gigs aswell as recording at home.

What's good home gear equipment? well theres some good gear out there and over the years ive watched the prices drop for very proffesional audio equipment to now become highly affordable for the home musician... If you're doing this on your pc i would reccomend looking at M-Audio gear, try E-MU aswell, just have a look around
smile.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ghe, one thing that is rather nice to mention though, make sure you have a game port available on your motherboard (just noticed / remembered and my laptop doesn't have one)
tongue.gif
. Either that or buy yourself an USB-->midi device (or USB keyboard if those are around).

Btw, it's been a while since I used any midi things, or fruity loops / q-base / adobe for that matter, but what was the name of those drivers again that made your midi importing WAY faster then 'normal'? I'm using a sound blaster live which doesn't have those special low-level drivers but you can fake those with ....... which really does help. Can't remember the name though -.-.

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
use ASiO drivers, something like Asio4All is free and pretty good, but for proper low latency recording get a decent soundcard with hardware asio and its own drivers, soundblaster is crap
wink.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe the CME UF6 is something for you? Or (it's replacement?) the CME UF50? Looks like a fine product to me really. Second hand it goes for 100-200 euros.

A yes, the Asio drivers. Asio4all works pretty good though. Granted I just need a proper sound card (though my Sound Blaster live is quite a nice card) if I want to do some real stuff, soundcards with Asio drivers are damn expensive! Don't have the time right now though so no need to invest.

[EDIT] Just found this bit: http://www.synthforum.nl/forums/showthread.php?t=1848
Just up to XP apparently (not that I would use the lovely bloated OS vista for these things). Also those drivers are old as hell
tongue.gif
. They do contain full Asio support though, wonder if it is faster then Asio4all. These are fairly new though (and support vista): http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?language=en

RayorDragonFall

I see you've played knifey-spoony before.
Trophies
XP
Country
I think 3 octaves would barely enough, well, it depends on if you'll be playing with both hands or just one.
Go for a controller, workstations (good ones) are WAAAY too expensive. Korg or Roland are good makes.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just bought an CME UF5 myself (60 euros second hand). Pretty decent. Now off to learn how to fix this up with Sonar / etc (in Vista sadly).. One thing that is pretty sucky though is the delay it has right now. Only been playing around with it for about 20 minutes.

4 octaves is a minimum for 2 handed play for me. Granted though I'm used to my PA60.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
pandas0nic said:
If you're planning on making music primarily with your computer, which it sounds like you are, you really dont need all those octaves on your keyboard, 2 or 3 will do
Agree with this, and everything else pandasonic - a midi controller is all you need for PC use. For a first time user get a little 2octave m-audio/evolution. Perfect for gigs/portable (that and a laptop in a bag = sorted).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, doge is dead
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    let's get some o7s for that legendary dog

o7
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i think its raining
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    You know what this website reminds me of?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Reminds me of your mother
    +1
    Nah it's all the slots
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Nah it's all the slots +1